• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2023-2024. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

MidnightJester

outside of this weak clipper system coming in thurs I don't see much happening for a while.
Not the greatest line up of weather coming but good Snowmaking weather. That Clipper system is looking to drop some in the Northeast thankfully and heavier in Quebec Canada at the moment. I was considering a Tremblant trip for the first time this weekend. They are calling for 4"-8" throughout a lot of Canada it seems.

Tremblant is 101/102 (128" Season Total) and haven't had snow in a while but expecting 4"-5" around Thursday

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Well that is NOT RIGHT in more then one area lol.
I am definitely not perfect and I can occasionally blame the ONTHESNOW totals that jump around at times.

They have 363 trails total that I just added up 4 mountains :) and currently have a open total of 346
So they are 346/363

Its interesting that they list 4 mountains in their totals. Definitely not all connected by lifts.
Can you access all the mountains and trails on Separate lift tickets like Killington and Pico?? or are they all Joined on a Single RFID card always?
How good are there Shuttles and Roads that you don't lose a lot of riding time??

Multiple days seem to be needed at that Aspen mountains grouping to say the least to check them out!

aspen = aspen mountain, aspen highlands, snowmass, and buttermilk. they are on a single pass and are minutes from one another. however, i don't know why you would ski more than one per day, as each is large and has plenty to offer, except for buttermilk which is sort of for beginners and terrain parks.

i will be in aspen feb 17 - 23, and then a-basin (tho sleeping at keystone) feb 24 - mar 1. i have not been to aspen since 2006.

4aprice

outside of this weak clipper system coming in thurs I don't see much happening for a while.
West is going to start ramping up again this week. My trusted sources are pointing toward the 10th here in the east. One snow prediction map I saw had drooling amounts of snow both east and west from mid Feb - mid March.

KustyTheKlown

West is going to start ramping up again this week. My trusted sources are pointing toward the 10th here in the east. One snow prediction map I saw had drooling amounts of snow both east and west from mid Feb - mid March.

hell yea. bring it late feb in colorado pleaseeee

MidnightJester

Bummed this clipper storm appears to be underwhelming. Looks like another weekend of "loud powder" at the Bush.
Loud powder?? hmmmm. Is that 4" that skies and rides like 8"
Northern Vermont is looking to Grab a good 4" Possibly more of SNOW. Stowe and Jaypeak down to SugarBush are looking the best at grabing a good amount from the Snow gods : )

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

yea im pointing it at jay for saturday. theyre mostly open now and a few inches should go a long way. and i really need to start making my indy pass work for me.

Smellytele

Northern Vermont is looking to Grab a good 4" Possibly more of SNOW. Stowe and Jaypeak down to SugarBush are looking the best at grabing a good amount from the Snow gods : )
Thinking more like light snow on top of ice or stuff that looks soft from the lift until you try to ski it and it shakes your teeth loose.

VTSkiBike

I'm skeptical based on the local forecasts but I hope you're right.

Hillwalker95

yea im pointing it at jay for saturday. theyre mostly open now and a few inches should go a long way. and i really need to start making my indy pass work for me.
Was there past 2 days. Groomers were great but most ungroomed was hardened and a good deal of thin cover/exposed rock (especially Exhibition and Canam). JFK an exception - pretty good.

Maybe a few inches could swing it, but felt to me like it needs more.

The Sneak

I was at Loon Sunday and Berkshire East yesterday. We can put a positive spin on it, but man it's pretty ugly out there. Thank god BE got that 6" or w/e Sunday into Monday. They were indeed blowing snow on a bunch of closed terrain, and things were not terrible on open terrain whatsoever (I bet Monday was fun), but it was classic edgeable (sp?) frozen granular and loose granular. I guess I'm just so sick of such conditions.

AdironRider

Will most places make snow in February unless it's mission critical (base area, connectors, etc..)?

Even small areas like Dartmouth Skiway are intending to blow snow through at least mid-February.

Christmas was super light crowd wise almost everywhere so I have to imagine the larger players will be putting in some effort to try and salvage things for President's week. After that though I bet most pack it in to try and stop the bleeding.

drjeff

Weather this coming weekend looks generally pleasant and comfortable. More than likely going to be busy all across ski country. And if so, if a place isn't busy, then their financial situation, especially given the weather challenges over X-Mas Week and MLK Weekend, isn't going to be in good shape.

Sometimes, for the sake of the health of the industry, you need to hope for a busy weekend. This may very well be one of those weekends...

Last edited: