• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2023-2024. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

MidnightJester

I am headed west this weekend. CO is showing a great chance of snow Friday-Sunday…
Many great chances for Snow in CO. They are fighting for best Snow and Mountains conditions in the Country : ) Just trying to wish and will a little more Snow out of this Thursday & Friday(early) Snow system heading towards Vermont.

Weekend Snow warriors unite, Grab the conditions while its good and decent : ) and SNOWING recently.
Trying to order and pick between Jaypeak(62/81), Stowe(97/127) and Sugarbush(106/111) to get the best of this system and to ride and enjoy Friday(4"of Snow) and Sunday along with it seems Saturday for Killington(134/155) if this trip pans out. Not too great on Lower VT conditions without any of this Clipper system getting to them. As it is hoping for conditions to be OK at Killington.

Last edited:

chuckstah

Many great chances for Snow in CO. They are fighting for best Snow and Mountains conditions in the Country : ) Just trying to wish and will a little more Snow out of this Thursday & Friday(early) Snow system heading towards Vermont.

Weekend Snow warriors unite, Grab the conditions while its good and decent : ) and SNOWING recently.
Trying to order and pick between Jaypeak(62/81), Stowe(97/127) and Sugarbush(106/111) to get the best of this system and to ride and enjoy Friday(4"of Snow) and Sunday along with it seems Saturday for Killington(134/155) if this trip pans out. Not too great on Lower VT conditions without any of this Clipper system getting to them. As it is hoping for conditions to be OK at Killington.
You couldn't pay me to ski Killington on a Saturday. Or Stowe for that matter. Jay and Bush are usually quite manageable on Saturday. K isn't terrible on Sunday afternoon. Consider Pico for Saturday and get there early.

kingslug

Stowe is going to open all the runs they blew Saturday.....including liftline.
I'll be there...but running my saturday...people avoidance plan.
It works for a few hours.

drjeff

jay picked up 3 last night. enough to freshen things. im looking forward to it.
Going to some college racers up at Jay both days this weekend. Hopefully one of them will be my daughter as she's getting over the flu and isn't sure if she'll race this weekend... When her team was up at Jay 3 weeks ago, she was literally in the starting gate ready to take her 2nd run when that CRAZY snow squall that rolled across New Enlgand on Sunday afternoon of MLK Weekend hit, and they canceled the rest of the 2nd run. The Jay cloud and running an alpine race are sometimes in major conflict! :D

snoseek

I'll gladly take a good string of Bluebird days..

MidnightJester

Conditions have been pretty good in the Northeast for 2 weeks with Bluebird sunny skies over us now. The Westcoast is getting pounded with Rrrrr and heavy Snow. How long will that last for both Coasts?? Here are some of the open mountains in North America and a tasting of what is considered open terrain with Trail counts this point in the season "week 14" around North America. These are considered lift serviced trails at some of the open ski mountains on Monday 2/5/24. Hike to your delight for more trail fun.

(Week 14) Monday 2/5/24 (open trail counts)

Mount Snow, VT -- 72/86​

Stratton, VT -- 88/99​

Magic Mountain, VT -- 49/50​

Okemo, VT -- 103/129​

Killington Resort, VT -- 144/155

Sugarbush, VT -- 110/111

Bolton Valley, VT -- 60/71​

Stowe, VT -- 107/127​

Smugglers Notch, VT -- 58/78​

Jay Peak, VT -- 69/81

--------------------------------------------

Belleayre, NY -- 58/61

Gore Mountain, NY -- 73/110

Hunter Mountain, NY -- 50/66

Windham, NY -- 38/54

Whiteface Mountain, NY -- 79/94

------------------------------------------

Sunday River, ME -- 133/139

Sugarloaf, ME -- 116/170

Saddleback, ME -- 67/68

-------------------------------------------

Wildcat ,NH -- 48/48 (Fully Open)​

Attitash, NH -- 65/76​

Loon Mountain, NH -- 49/73​

Mount Sunapee, NH -- 46/67​

Cannon, NH -- 73/97​

Bretton Woods, NH -- 97/98

------------------------------------

Breckenridge, CO -- 165/187

Vail, CO -- 275/278

Aspen Snowmass, CO -- 339/336

Winter Park Resort, -- CO 164/171

Beaver Creek, CO -- 150/150 (Fully Open)

Keystone Resort, CO -- 140/143

Steamboat, CO -- 181/181 (Fully Open)

Telluride, CO -- 126/147

Arapahoe Basin, CO -- 113/145

Loveland, CO -- 81/94

Wolf Creek, CO -- 144/144 (Fully Open)

----------------------------------------

Mammoth Mountain, CA -- 157/175

----------Lake Tahoe CA,NV---------

Kirkwood, CA --61/79

Northstar California, CA --81/100

Palisades Tahoe, CA -- 174/270

Heavenly CA,NV -- 83/114

Mt. Rose - Ski Tahoe, NV -- 49/66

----------------------------------------

Solitude, UT -- 68/87

Park City, UT -- 336/346

Alta, UT -- 88/118

Deer Valley, UT -- 101/103

SnowBasin , UT -- 108/114

SnowBird, UT -- 119/140

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Not liking this weekends forecast...nope...not one bit...
Spring Soft Snow this weekend is the better way to look at it I guess.

Make it through this upcoming weekend somehow not frozen over due to the forecasted warm up then incoming cold and we have a Good looking Second half of February below freezing TEMERATURE wise. A strong disruption of the Polar Vortex is forecast for mid-February. With a new stratospheric warming event expected to develop, we currently see a rapid breakdown of the Polar Vortex and a cold weather pattern change across the United States in the second half of February and possibly into early March.
~This is now the second possible disruption of the Polar Vortex in 2024. The first one occurred around mid-January and coincided with a strong cold air release across much of the central and eastern United States.
~This upcoming event looks to be just as strong, if not stronger, than the first one. Current forecasts are already picking up on these dynamics and are starting to draw a new cold episode across the United States in the wake of this atmospheric disruption.

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Hopeful incoming Pre-Valentines day Snow-Storm!!
Somewhere in Vermont this Monday night there is a nice COLD date with a SNOW-Storm coming.
Some lucky Northeast mountains might have a date with 10"plus
ENWNEStorm8Feb9a.jpg

Last edited: