• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2023-2024. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

MidnightJester

Conditions have been pretty good in US and the Northeast for over 3 weeks in a row. Amazingly Snow pilled up throughout upper Vermont with 20"-30"over 7 days or less .Look forward to this Tuesday and throughout the Presidents Week holiday conditions will be great at the right locations and mountains. Here are some of the open mountains in North America and a tasting of what is considered open terrain with Trail counts this point in the season "week 16" around North America. These are considered lift serviced trails at some of the open ski mountains on Tuesday 2/20/24. Hike to your delight for more trail fun.
page-1_241b39.jpg

(Week 16) Tuesday 2/11/24 (open trail counts) & (Season Totals)

Mount Snow, VT -- 68/86 - (70" season total)

Stratton, VT -- 97/99 - (72" season total)

Magic Mountain, VT -- 36/50 - (66" season total)

Okemo, VT -- 126/129 - (66" season total)

Killington Resort, VT -- 149/155 (134" season total)

Sugarbush, VT -- 111/111 - (161" season total)

Bolton Valley, VT -- 71/71 - (217" season total)

Stowe, VT -- 121/127 - (181"season total)

Smugglers Notch, VT -- 72/78 - (163" season total)

Jay Peak, VT -- 80/81 - (241" season total)

--------------------------------------------

Belleayre, NY -- 56/61

Gore Mountain, NY -- 78/110

Hunter Mountain, NY -- 55/66

Windham, NY -- 43/54

Whiteface Mountain, NY -- 75/94

------------------------------------------

Sunday River, ME -- 109/139

Sugarloaf, ME -- 101/170

Saddleback, ME -- 65/68

-------------------------------------------

Wildcat ,NH -- 26/48​

Attitash, NH -- 56/76​

Loon Mountain, NH -- 60/73​

Mount Sunapee, NH -- 53/67​

Cannon, NH -- 63/97​

Bretton Woods, NH -- 97/98 (Almost Fully Open)

----------not updated yet for west coast-------------

Breckenridge, CO -- 187/187 (Fully Open)

Vail, CO -- 275/278

Aspen Snowmass, CO -- 358/366 (Too many trails lol)

Winter Park Resort, -- CO 167/171

Beaver Creek, CO -- 150/150 (Fully Open)

Keystone Resort, CO -- 140/143

Steamboat, CO -- 181/181 (Fully Open)

Telluride, CO -- 90/147

Arapahoe Basin, CO -- 128/145

Loveland, CO -- 86/94

Wolf Creek, CO -- 144/144 (Fully Open)

----------------------------------------

Mammoth Mountain, CA -- 157/175

----------Lake Tahoe CA,NV---------

Kirkwood, CA --78/79

Northstar California, CA --88/100

Palisades Tahoe, CA -- 244/270

Heavenly CA,NV -- 94/114

Mt. Rose - Ski Tahoe, NV -- 66/66 (Fully Open)

----------------------------------------

Solitude, UT -- 69/87

Park City, UT -- 340/346

Alta, UT -- 80/118

Deer Valley, UT -- 102/103

SnowBasin , UT -- 109/114

SnowBird, UT -- 132/140

Last edited:

ctdubl07

Man, anyone else looking at the long term forecast with this coming warm up?? looks like it could be a quick wrap up to the IC's season....F-ing bummer

zyk

Man, anyone else looking at the long term forecast with this coming warm up?? looks like it could be a quick wrap up to the IC's season....F-ing bummer
I hadn't, then I did. Thanks I'm weeping softly now and considering how early I can start drinking.

RH29

Looks to be blowtorch warm through early March. Ughhhh

NYDB

Yeah that’s a rough 10 day forecast.

I guess that “pattern change” didn’t stick.

70” of snow ytd in so Vt. and the first 15” melted out completely to bare ground.

lovely

MidnightJester

Besides early spring conditions this could be our last shot at a Winter time embrace if this weather prediction holds true. In a year without much winter weather, there’s a chance of a bitter blow before spring takes hold. Experts say a disruption of the polar vortex could unleash cold, stormy conditions to the eastern United States around mid-March.

How the polar vortex could deliver one last blast of wintry weather. A disruption of the vortex could set off a chain reaction reversing the mild weather pattern in a few weeks​

But in about two weeks, weather models indicate the vortex will abruptly weaken and/or collapse. The vortex disruption will be “fairly large,” Judah Cohen, a long-range forecaster at Verisk Atmospheric and Environmental Research, told The Washington Post.

How the polar vortex disruption could unfold. This possible reversing of the polar vortex is a new thing to me​

Cohen said the polar vortex’s disturbance could be so major that its winds will reverse — switching from strong westerlies to a gentle easterly flow. That’s not set in stone yet, but the odds are increasing.
David Tolleris, a consulting meteorologist based in Richmond wrote on X that he’s unconvinced the polar vortex disruption will bring about meaningful winter weather.
“I am not saying those forecasting a late winter return in mid March are wrong,” he said. “Indeed it could very much happen especially across the Great Lakes/ New England and the interior portions of places like New York and Pennsylvania where it can snow into late March or early April. What I am saying is you need to treat this with a great deal of skepticism.”

Last edited:

The Sneak

f'ing sucks. I've used my ikon pass a depressingly few # of days this year.
At least sunday looks warm n sunny in places.

tnt1234

Yikes....who in the cats or pokes can survive the next two weeks?

drjeff

I am guessing the most dreaded annual thread, the "Closing for the season" thread is going to get going, and add too many names quickly before St Patrick's Day.... This one's going to hurt for sure :cry::cry:

slatham

Assuming the mid month turn around occurs - and I will note how inaccurate the models have been this far out - who will survive until then? And for those who technically survive, how much terrain will be available? Reasonably high chance that most areas are down to bare ground or very minimal natural base by the time the warm up ends. If it ends. Need a real hail Mary dump. Asap….

TyWebb

Not looking good - have Magic scheduled next weekend with my son.

For this Friday and Sat what do u think - Bolton or Waterville?

Have reservations near both but trying to see who’s getting less rain and which one benefits more from the snow situation on the backend

Bumpsis

My scheduled trip trip to Sugarloaf is next week - just in time to watch the rain wash away the snow. 60% chance of rain just about every single day of next week. Seriously bummed. Haven't been able to use our Ikon passes much this year (no western trips this year) and even bought Go Cards so our kids could join. I'm wondering if Sugarloaf will be willing to issue vouchers for next year on those Go Cards...

Planned, multi day ski trips, at least here in the NE are getting to be a much greater financial risks...

4aprice

Yikes....who in the cats or pokes can survive the next two weeks?
The Pocono's should survive. Good thick carpet on the slopes and the hoses have not been pulled. I would imagine they will try to make Easter. The skiing yesterday and today was awesome and springlike with fun bumps.

As far as weather it's dumping at Winter Park and Granby

zyk

The Pocono's should survive. Good thick carpet on the slopes and the hoses have not been pulled. I would imagine they will try to make Easter. The skiing yesterday and today was awesome and springlike with fun bumps.

As far as weather it's dumping at Winter Park and Granby
Seems Belleayre blew alot of snow. Hunter is usually solid with Windham up there as well. Meanwhile the sunrise was pleasant and it's a good day to work outside.20240227_063455.jpg

letitsnow1

Not looking good - have Magic scheduled next weekend with my son.

For this Friday and Sat what do u think - Bolton or Waterville?

Have reservations near both but trying to see who’s getting less rain and which one benefits more from the snow situation on the backend
Natural snow will be gone at magic but snowmaking trails should be good

TyWebb

Natural snow will be gone at magic but snowmaking trails should be good

Yea - I have time but might hard pass next weekend and hope for a mid or late March dump - just sux cause soccer season began this past weekend and the window is closing