• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2023-2024. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

kingslug

Wonder how many people will start thinking about moving east to west if these weather patterns continue. It's not just winter...last summer was pure rain. Downright depressing.

NYDB

Wonder how many people will start thinking about moving east to west if these weather patterns continue. It's not just winter...last summer was pure rain. Downright depressing.
Alot.

I've been wondering how long it will take for the people who bought up in VT after Covid to realize the wintry wonderland they envisioned no longer exists here and sell.

I'm guessing it'll be another year or 2 unless we have a freak cold snowy winter.

Hillwalker95

It's not as if we haven't had snow or cold - Mid Jan to mid Feb was rather good. It's the inability to go any length of time without "pissing down with hot rain" to quote another thread. And with global warming, it ain't gonna get any better alas.

Also how many small ski areas will go to the wall? Already happening in lower elevation Alps resorts.

drjeff

Alot.

I've been wondering how long it will take for the people who bought up in VT after Covid to realize the wintry wonderland they envisioned no longer exists here and sell.

I'm guessing it'll be another year or 2 unless we have a freak cold snowy winter.
I see it as a mix, where sure the Winters aren't as sustainably Wintery in the East like they used to be. The West has been in a GOOD cycle the last few years, however they have also had some lean years as well, and that doesn't even get into the wild fire risk that seems to be more and more prevalant in the Summer months out West (heck even right now in the Texas pan handle area) - Pretty sure there isn't an "ideal" year round place to live climate wise for most. Some places just have different pros and cons than others

kingslug

The summer freaked me out more than thus winter. It never stopped raining. Hiking..yeah wear waders...
At least out there it's a friggin desert.

4aprice

I’m hoping it’s just el nino making everyone el loco this year
Going to a significant La Nina by next winter. Lots of stuff going on including that Tonga volcano last year which tossed a lot of water vapor up in the air.

We decided to winter out west, long ago. Wife loves skiing, but not the punishing cold of Northern New England. The decision was also made easier by our son moving out to Denver.

Our daughter (and her husband) are still living in New Jersey, along with other family. So we're going to split with summer's in New Jersey (and some side trips to Fla) and winters in Colorado. The summer season where our condo is, is very popular (very near the Rocky Mountain National Park) and we would have no problems renting it seasonally.

snoseek

I see it as a mix, where sure the Winters aren't as sustainably Wintery in the East like they used to be. The West has been in a GOOD cycle the last few years, however they have also had some lean years as well, and that doesn't even get into the wild fire risk that seems to be more and more prevalant in the Summer months out West (heck even right now in the Texas pan handle area) - Pretty sure there isn't an "ideal" year round place to live climate wise for most. Some places just have different pros and cons than others
I'll never forget the year Heavenly got a whopping total of 78 inches. They don't deal with years like that like around here it was terrible. Also the smoke shut down an entire summer, that was awful as well.

BodeMiller1

I go by Bolton Valley every day. They've been hammering the bottom of the hill and of yesterday it was holding up. The problem is all of the snow has melted out of the valleys. Even the ice from the springs has fallen off or melted.

letitsnow1

Some people confuse climate and weather. We've been stuck with some bad weather patterns the last few years it will bounce back at some point. Climate change plays a part but its not like some people seem to think that we're never going to see another snowy winter

BodeMiller1

Some people confuse climate and weather. We've been stuck with some bad weather patterns the last few years it will bounce back at some point. Climate change plays a part but its not like some people seem to think that we're never going to see another snowy winter
Every one was complaining about the lack of snow in the snow belt of Maine. Then it snowed for months with frigid cold...

kingslug

Oh..it's going to snow tonight..maybe 4 to 5 inches....
On top of solid ice with windchills 20 below.
Thankfully weekend looks nice and springy.
That snow will groom into the ice nicely.
Super windy today!

MidnightJester

We are going to need a great mix of melting with minimal RRRrrrr and just the right amount of snow to pull through till some type of Cold system and a SNOW STORM can rescue the day :) Where I live on Long Island my garden Crocus's and Witch hazel tree are both starting to accidently early bloom and almost popping a few flowers is not a good sign. Hope they get buried in some late season SNOW

parahelia

March 6 I fly to utah...
KS effect?

Sure hope the KS effect is operational, my in-laws are flying in from the south the same day and we're taking them to our place at Sunday River. Have always raved about March skiing to them but maybe not in an El Nino year...