• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fishing 2021

ThatGuy

Caught this nice bass today on Burden Lake, put up a great fight.
733DC8DD-0506-41EB-9A63-F9C8F7A16453.jpeg
Also was on the hunt for native trout in some creeks by my house during the week and finally caught one on the fly rod.
B060F3D7-761A-4BA3-9AA4-B60939A45D72.jpeg

JimG.

Staff member
Very nice smallmouth.

9/6-went out solo on the East Branch. There were other anglers out as well and were hard to avoid as I was bass fishing with a plastic worm. So I changed tactics and started trolling the deepest section of the reservoir from the dam to the end of the eastern cove. I have caught walleyes here and I was hoping I would hook into one. Finally, after my third round trip I hooked something big.

I wasn't planning on trolling and didn't set up my rod holder before starting. When the fish hit I was lucky to grab my rod before it went overboard. Finally got a good grip and the fish tore into the drag with 2 long runs. Then it shook it's head and was off. Second big walleye I've lost at the EB this year. That's what sucks about trolling, you entice big fish but it's up to the fish to hook itself because you aren't holding the rod when they hit.

ThatGuy

I’ve never caught a walleye, and not for lack of trying. The Tomhannock Reservoir is close to me and supposedly holds some huge ones but I haven’t had any luck there.

JimG.

Staff member
I’ve never caught a walleye, and not for lack of trying. The Tomhannock Reservoir is close to me and supposedly holds some huge ones but I haven’t had any luck there.
We have caught a few nice ones at the EB.
EB1.jpg
Wall2.jpg
After my buddy caught that one I hooked another right off that brush pile in the background
Wall1.jpg

ThatGuy

View attachment B53C8C5F-242E-4405-B39A-85F6831C130F.jpeg

Camped at Forked Lake in the Adirondacks for two days. Really beautiful lake and the trees are just starting to turn.
AD6A0C95-FA83-41D9-BB00-2032120E9635.jpeg
We were hoping to catch Landlocked Salmon but didn’t get any hits so we started targeting Bass instead. Lots of action but only landed one the first night. Then after I caught it my pole fell out of the canoe into the water. We went back in and set up camp for the night. Next morning we went looking for my pole and I spotted the hula popper floating about two feet underwater in weeds, was very lucky.
A32948C0-9CAE-4AAC-B1EB-9294A603F9C6.jpeg
After this we went fishing and caught seven. Also hooked something huge that dragged the boat for a while before I lost it.
DFDC8E98-76D2-484A-B7B3-038A4C7AA135.jpeg
A236C104-957B-4527-A3F1-94FF2EC6402C.jpeg

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
9/15-Rye Lake with Steve. Nice day fish were picky but we each caught a few nice bass. The plastic worm is losing it's effectiveness as the days grow shorter. Fish are not grabbing them as hard and we are losing more fish. Great weather considering there were supercells north and west of us. Saw the cumulonimbus clouds lighting up when lightning flashed to the north and west on my drive home on 84 that was pretty spectacular.

9/18-East Branch with Mike. On water at 6:30 I was happy with the cloudy, misty and cool conditions. Light wind lots of glass calm water:
EB4.jpg

We rowed out to the middle of that shot, there are colonial foundations, walls, and roadbeds underwater and there were smallmouths actively feeding on the surface. Every now and then a bronze colored slab would come out of the water with a splash. Seeing this sealed my decision to use my suspending jointed Rapala. We rowed out to the little island and found the same action.
My first cast there produced a violent surface hit and just like that my first fish:
EB6.jpg

After taking that shot Mike hooked another nice smallmouth. Then I hooked and lost another. For the next 2 1/2 hours we moved around and caught fish in most spots. Quite a few nice largemouths too:
EB5.jpg

At 9 the clouds started to thin and by 10 the skies were clear and it was sunny and hot. That was it for the fishing we were off the water at noon.

JimG.

Staff member
9/24-Pepacton reservoir with Steve. Hard to believe summer is over. Pepacton is our favorite Sept/Oct bass and trout location. I was concerned by the change in weather to cool and dry but it was a beautiful day with a strong SW wind to start.
We hiked out to our usual bass location. The first 2 hours were pretty dull. Steve caught a few small bass and my haul was a 5" perch and a 2.5" pig smallmouth.
It's amazing how much confidence in lure selection affects fishing success. I just could not find a lure I liked. The wind was knocking down my casts and I was taking chances wading into deep unknown water just to get a decent cast. We were close to stopping to eat so I changed my lure from the plugs I was casting to a #4 Vibrax silver fox. I was going to use that in the river as we headed back to the car but I threw a few casts in the same places we had fished all morning. Bang the first nice smallmouth of the day. We got to the mouth of the river and we both landed a nice smallmouth. Then I landed a small brown trout. We got to the last pool at the bridge and I knew I would catch a trout. Bang a huge hit and I'm amazed to see a 24" roughly 5 lbs. brown on my line. Put up a great fight and I got it close to where I was standing which was in rocks with knee deep fast moving water. Then I maneuvered it to shallow water. It was a beauty. I grabbed the lure and shook it and the fish was released totally untouched and unharmed. Later Steve revealed he had snapped a pic of it as I got it to shallow water:
trt2.jpg

By far my nicest trout of the season.
We went back and fished the mouth of the river. We each caught another nice smallmouth. And so it went for the next 1.5 hours. Just great fishing. My last cast of the day in the pool where I caught the big brown produced a nice rainbow.
Heading back next week.

JimG.

Staff member
10/15-East Branch with Steve. Beautiful day. Awesome rowing. Good company.

Lousy fishing. I boated one decent sized yellow perch. Steve hooked and lost a few fish we never saw. Fish just were not biting.

I think I'm done with using a rowboat during what remains of my fishing season. Maybe another day of wading locally and another trip to Pepacton.

Soon the snow will fly.

JimG.

Staff member
11/7-solo at the East Branch on the special regulations stretch of the river. Last day of fishing 2021 for me. Had not been here since early May. I was concerned that there would be impassable brush and bramble growth due to the wet summer.
Should have brought my machete. I tried several entrances to get to my downstream stretch from Brady's Bend and was unsuccessful. A few times I got into brush so tall I almost lost my bearings.
So I gave up on that plan and decided that travelling in the river was the only way to fish today. I pushed my way through more brush to get to the riverbank and now I'm confronted with very high and fast moving water. I thought that I should give up while I'm ahead but of course ignored my intuition and moved towards the bank. I use this spot often to get in the water, it is a nice mid-thigh deep sheltered pool with a railroad tie protecting it from the current. All I have to do is step over the railroad tie onto a hard gravelly bottom. I get one leg over the tie and suddenly it sinks! The heavy rains have undermined the tie and it's teetering like a see saw. The momentary loss of balance lead to a wader leg and boot full of water. Cold water! My water filled left leg felt like walking with cement in there. Spent the rest of my time drying off and dumping water out of my waders. I think I made about 3 casts total.
lol the Gods have spoken. Fishing 2021 is over. Skiing is here heading to K.