• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fishing 2024

JimG.

Staff member
I would miss freshwater bass fishing. In many western river systems bass are considered an invasive species; not good for trout populations.

That said I've fished out west in CO and WY and the trout fishing is pretty special. Big fish too.

ThatGuy

Definitely some nice trout here but bass fight better and you can use more strategy to catch them. Trout its pretty much spinner, fly or worms.

ThatGuy

Lot of different trout species to catch here which is nice, have alot more photos but the file size is too large on them. Also good perch fishing at a reservoir close to me, can always fill a stringer anytime I go. Just miss topwater bass fishing.

JimG.

Staff member
Glad to see some western fishing pics! I'm partial to the brookie.

And I agree that bass fight better than trout.

JimG.

Staff member
East Branch Reservoir-9/29

The season is winding down. Got out for another pleasant afternoon. Caught a few small bass and a bunch of sunnies. Lost something decent, had it on for about 5 seconds and saw a flash deep in the water then lost it. Contrary to what I assumed today all of my fish bit at the worm. Lures were useless. Still hoping to get out a few more days.

The Nantucket trip isn't going to happen this year. However, I am hoping to get out on the sound once or twice before skiing starts.

JimG.

Staff member
Rye Lake-10/4

Got out on Rye Lake with Steve. He had a good day boating a few decent bass. I caught nothing but small bass. Didn't even hook a decent fish. Probably because Steve started out using a worm and I didn't want to duplicate his lure choice. So I stuck with other lures that just didn't produce much. By the time I switched to a worm the day was close to over and I just never gained the confidence you need to fish plastics effectively. Last time out with Steve I caught all the big fish and he boated nothing but small fish.

Water is still pretty warm so I'll get out again this week.

JimG.

Staff member
Rye Lake-10/11

More great weather today. I fished exclusively with the worm and both Steve and I boated a few small bass. Late in the day we fished a weed bed close to our boat spot as we headed in. I mentioned to Steve that one of us was going to hook a nice bass. Not 5 minutes later, Steve boated this fine largemouth:

1077.jpg

I figured that was the high point of our day. Not a minute after I snapped that photo, I hooked another largemouth as big if not bigger. Another great fight ensued but as I reeled the bass close to the boat, it made a last ditch dive to escape boating and managed to break my line right at the knot. Not the first time I've lost a fish near the boat this season and I was pissed I didn't get a pic, but happy for the battle. Fall sure is pretty:

1076.jpg