• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gas Prices = Apprehension for Next Season?

Greg

Staff member
Someone sent this to me. Not sure how effective it will be, but I thought I'd pass this along and let you decide for yourself:

http://www.americansolutions.com/drillnow

I thought it looked a bit hokey, but then discovered Newt Gringrich is behind the campaign. Agree with him or not, I do appreciate the way he doesn't sugarcoat anything.

wa-loaf

Someone sent this to me. Not sure how effective it will be, but I thought I'd pass this along and let you decide for yourself:

http://www.americansolutions.com/drillnow

I thought it looked a bit hokey, but then discovered Newt Gringrich is behind the campaign. Agree with him or not, I do appreciate the way he doesn't sugarcoat anything.

Even if we open ANWAR and start exploring more on the coasts it won't have any effect on prices for years. Not to mention what they can get from those sources is only a drop in the bucket. Funny how people who have been opposed to this for years suddenly change their minds in an election year.

Greg

Staff member
Even if we open ANWAR and start exploring more on the coasts it won't have any effect on prices for years. Not to mention what they can get from those sources is only a drop in the bucket. Funny how people who have been opposed to this for years suddenly change their minds in an election year.

That was my initial reaction. And without additional refining capacity, more crude doesn't really help, does it? Still, I think many people are starting to feel a bit desperate and are willing to look at any option. If/when gas reached $5/gallon, it's going to cost me $20 each day just to get to work. That sucks.

Moe Ghoul

A few of our majors got 1-2 year no bid contracts to work Iraq's oilfields. That's the big hope that they can start dumping Iraqi crude on the markets. Maybe another coupla years before it has an impact.

Moe Ghoul

No matter how we feel about fossil fuel, we die without it. Biggest consumer of oil? US military. Nuf said. If it gets dire, the pres can announce a national security threat and start drilling tomorrow. Apparently, the pain isn't severe enough to change minds on the subject. Let's see how they like 6/gal gas.

PS Oil is really just another form of concentrated solar energy, I'm surprised the oil industry hasn't "greened" up there propaganda, lol

wa-loaf

If/when gas reached $5/gallon, it's going to cost me $20 each day just to get to work. That sucks.

Smart%20Car.jpg

:wink:

That was my initial reaction. And without additional refining capacity, more crude doesn't really help, does it? Still, I think many people are starting to feel a bit desperate and are willing to look at any option. If/when gas reached $5/gallon, it's going to cost me $20 each day just to get to work. That sucks.

You can always move to a house close to where you work..:uzi:

Greg

Staff member
Well the long commutes people are willing to endure is a big reason for all of our gas consumption.

You're probably right, and I did consciously make that choice. More house for less money and I'm closer to skiing.

You're probably right, and I did consciously make that choice. More house for less money and I'm closer to skiing.

I know some employers pay mileage for commuters. Where I live there are people who commute 90 miles to Manhatten..crazy...mainly by driving to a park and ride and taking a bus..since there is no train from eastern PA..

awf170

If/when gas reached $5/gallon, it's going to cost me $20 each day just to get to work. That sucks.

That's over $5000 a year. Buy an old Civic for $5,000 and you will save $3,000 a year on gas. How much is insurance in your area? Even with high insurance rates my guess is it would still pay off in a few years. Plus you can use the Civic for ski trips when the roads are good and you are by yourself or with one other person.

That's over $5000 a year. Buy an old Civic for $5,000 and you will save $3,000 a year on gas. How much is insurance in your area? Even with high insurance rates my guess is it would still pay off in a few years. Plus you can use the Civic for ski trips when the roads are good and you are by yourself or with one other person.

Isn't gas/mileage used driving to and from work, a tax write-off..I only live 2 miles from work so it doesn't really apply to me..