• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gas Prices = Apprehension for Next Season?

jack97

C'mon we all know there's no connection to what it costs to produce the barrel to what it goes for on the open market. It's whoever is willing to pay the most for that barrel who sets the price. That's where the speculators come in in raising the price of oil, they are betting the price will keep going up and thus are willing to keep paying more and more for it as long as demand stays up. Only good thing about the prices going up is that it makes other methods of extraction and alternate fuels affordable. If and when these alternates come on line it should lower demand/increase supply and prices should level off. We just don't know where that leveling point is.

Interesting story dated about a month or two ago. There's been some recent pressure to get the Saudis to increase production which IMO is good and bad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/29/business/worldbusiness/29oil.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&fta=y

drjeff

Well, my 2000 Cherokee has over 160,000 miles on it now so it's not going to be worth shit anyway. I plan to drive the Grand Cherokee into the ground too despite the crappy fuel efficiency. The next vehicle to replace the Cherokee will be more fuel efficient, likely a Forrester at this point.

+1 My FULLY PAID OFF '02 trailblazer with 150k on it still costs me less per month with it's 17mpg, then what the payment on a new more fuel efficient mid sized vehicle would save me in gas $$ each month.

Definately have been rethinking what I'm planning for the next vehicle though, I was set on a Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon before the lastest and greatest gas run up, now not so sure, even with the hybrid model. I'll have to see what's available when it's time..

Moe Ghoul

My BMW is a 3 yr lease, another 1.5 yrs on it. Might try to persuade the wife to look at hybrids. The new Camry's are nice looking, will have to see whats on the market then. I own and plan to keep the 03 Pilot until decent SUV hybrids are produced. I only have ~33,000 miles on it.

I don't know, but maybe I have a much smaller income than a lot of the people on this board. But when the oil I pay for is going to go from $2.59 to $4-5, that's about double the the cost and it really makes me think twice about what I can afford to do next year. That extra $1-2k a year cuts directly into any money I have available for skiing. That's the recreation and fun money and it's also the first to go if things get too tight. I'm sure there are plenty of other people in the same boat in NE.

It's not just the ski industry that's going to be hurting..any industries that are non-essential..ie..luxury..are going to hurt big time. A girl I'm currently seeing helps run a family florist and business for them has been down big-time. People buy less expensive flowers from the supermarket instead. Restaurants are hurting a ton..last week I went to Carrabas which is a local chain restaurant and there always used to be 30-45 minute waits and we were seated right away. My Dad is an avid golfer and he's been getting last minute tee-times at ease at courses that used to require 4-5 days advanced reservations. Check out the new issue of Newsweek..it's about the current recession..the rising oil prices are creating a domino effect on everything...wall street..the housing market..food prices..small businesses..Even the funeral homes that we work with are seeing an increasing rise in cremations..when money is tight..why spend $8-10k on a funeral when you can get a budget cremation funeral for a fraction of the cost. Now is the time more than ever to squirrel away money..

right now it's actually profitable. I've already got some from the last two times. In a couple months I'll trade it all in for actual money. It's pretty tedious but kind of peaceful. The water is so cold it makes my hand numb. I find this a good activity to smoke herb and do.

Hahaha...the price of herb has remained steady since I was in college..:grin:

Moe Ghoul

Some of the slack will be taken up by those that have a decent currency. It's been happening over the past few years. Tiffanys posted strong sales, more and more transactions are being done in Euros in NYC, the arabs just bought the Chrysler building, and on and on. More canadians, europeans, russians, asians, etc will sustain the high ticket markets and the bigger resort areas. I don't think they'll suffer too badly.

SkiDork

Definately have been rethinking what I'm planning for the next vehicle though, I was set on a Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon before the lastest and greatest gas run up, now not so sure, even with the hybrid model. I'll have to see what's available when it's time..

What does the Hybrid get in terms of gas mileage?

frozencorn

EPA estimate of 21 City/22 highway for the 2wd and 20 city/20 highway for the 4x4

Boy....that's terrible.

My other ride, a Mitsubishi Outlander gets 23 highway. I feel pretty lucky enough to have a 23 and a 33 per gallon, and even that is killing us right now. The wife is pushing for a bigger SUV (and a second child) but at these mileages, even for a hybrid, it's ludicrous to switch.

wa-loaf

If you do city driving, flat roads, under 35 mph, are you running on mostly electric with the hybrids?

That's where you get the best mileage, because the stop and go driving actually charges the batteries through the brakes. Also why mpg is better in the city.

Moe Ghoul

That's where you get the best mileage, because the stop and go driving actually charges the batteries through the brakes. Also why mpg is better in the city.

That's the impression I have. I haven't looked at it that carefully yet since I'm not in the market for another car right now. We do mostly city miles, stop and go, so I think we'd do well with a hybrid.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
SundayBarbie.jpg