• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Get out and vote today!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
they won't be the first. too much of a 'nanny' state.

I think more states need to come online with the medicinal before legalization happens.
But see, that creates a "legal for some" sub-division. If there's a lesson learned from yesterday's voting, it's that once the medical community gets theirs, many of them become interested in protecting what they have versus expanding to others.

All that being said, if Jersey's program was actually off the ground, and I could find a way to qualify, I'd do it and keep my mouth shut about it.

snoseek

But see, that creates a "legal for some" sub-division. If there's a lesson learned from yesterday's voting, it's that once the medical community gets theirs, many of them become interested in protecting what they have versus expanding to others.

All that being said, if Jersey's program was actually off the ground, and I could find a way to qualify, I'd do it and keep my mouth shut about it.

What's the word on Jersey? I think Maine is going to medicinal or at least I heard.

I was really hoping California would pass, I'm pretty sure it will in the next five or so years. I can only imagine the scare tactics the other side used on this one.....

Glenn

apparently Bridgeport CT is the new Florida. reportedly they only had 20,000 ballots in the city for 60,000 registered voters and they ran out of ballots due to good turnout.

And we still don't know who won the ellection. What a joke.

drjeff

And we still don't know who won the ellection. What a joke.

And who knows when we will?? As of this AM, the 4 vote counts that are out so far, have Foley winning in 2 of them and Malloy in the other 2 :rolleyes:

I think the only thing that's a certain as a result of this election in CT, is that once they get back into legislative session, they'll pass a law that says that each town has to have enough ballots on hand, the day of the election, for if not all that town/cities registered voters, then atleast 80%+ of them!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
What's the word on Jersey? I think Maine is going to medicinal or at least I heard.

I was really hoping California would pass, I'm pretty sure it will in the next five or so years. I can only imagine the scare tactics the other side used on this one.....
The law was passed, but our governor is using every lame excuse under the sun to hold it up.

WakeboardMom

apparently Bridgeport CT is the new Florida. reportedly they only had 20,000 ballots in the city for 60,000 registered voters and they ran out of ballots due to good turnout.

That happened in my town last March. They made photocopies; problem solved. Sad to say, we still color circles to cast our vote.

Glenn

And who knows when we will?? As of this AM, the 4 vote counts that are out so far, have Foley winning in 2 of them and Malloy in the other 2 :rolleyes:

I think the only thing that's a certain as a result of this election in CT, is that once they get back into legislative session, they'll pass a law that says that each town has to have enough ballots on hand, the day of the election, for if not all that town/cities registered voters, then atleast 80%+ of them!

This will take awhile to shake out. And the big irony here was all that money we spent on upgrading machines...was to prevent this from happening. A lot of good that did!

drjeff

That happened in my town last March. They made photocopies; problem solved. Sad to say, we still color circles to cast our vote.

We "upgraded" to coloring in circles a couple years ago. I prefer the levers--easier to keep the kids in check while voting.

The main thing that I do like about CT's current color in the circles and then scan the ballot system, is (as long as you have enough ballots :rolleyes: ) that you not only get the automated scanned vote count, but you also have a back up, actual paper hard copy of each and every ballot, should there be any issues with the machines.

Still though, the old lever style voting machines are my favorites

drjeff

This will take awhile to shake out. And the big irony here was all that money we spent on upgrading machines...was to prevent this from happening. A lot of good that did!

Well the machines did indeed appear to work, it was the human factor (the warm blooded, non electrically powered entity that was responsible for ordering enough ballots) that had the break down in this case :rolleyes: :smash: :rolleyes: :lol:

Kind of sad to think that the registrar responsible for ordering the ballots, who was likely trying to be fiscally responsible in this time of large budget deficits by ordering a minimal amount of ballots based of past voter turns, to save the city/state a few bucks, will likely end up costing the city/state hundreds of thousands (if not millions) in likely attorney/court fees since I think we can be pretty sure that that is where this is headed :(

SkiDork

why don't they just let you print one of those at home and bring it in already filled out?

wa-loaf

why don't they just let you print one of those at home and bring it in already filled out?

Oregon (maybe Washington) have all mail-in voting. Ballots get sent out a few weeks before the election to all registered voters and then only have to be post marked by election day. Takes a little longer to count, especially if it's close, but no one has to find time to get to the polls or stand in line. I'm sure it costs some to mail them all out, but it prob more than off-sets the cost of running hundreds of polling stations.

dmc

Oregon (maybe Washington) have all mail-in voting. Ballots get sent out a few weeks before the election to all registered voters and then only have to be post marked by election day. Takes a little longer to count, especially if it's close, but no one has to find time to get to the polls or stand in line. I'm sure it costs some to mail them all out, but it prob more than off-sets the cost of running hundreds of polling stations.

The last couple elections I voted absentee - same thing kinda...

i was traveling internationally so much I didn't want to take the risk. Turns out for the last Pres election I was in Frankfurt Germany.. So I was psyched..

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
that's what happened in NH. Senate and House passed it. Gov Lynch vetoed it
Ours is law and was signed by our last Gov. NJ has to implement a program. The law stated the program was to be up and running by June. Here we are 5 months later...and nothing is happening as the state is looking for every reason to procrastinate. It's not even funny anymore.

Ex. The law say there's to be a minimum of 6 dispensaries, and the 1st 6 also need to be non-profit. If they can't keep up with demand, for profit dispensaries will be allowed to open up.

So at first the State wanted Rutgers to be the sole source of growing, and mmj could only be dispensed at a hospital.

So the last proposal...ok, we'll give you 4 dispensaries, and no more then that.

Then there's the nonsense that they won't even evaluate if new medical conditions can get added for the list for at least 2 years. :roll:

Here's a link to NJ's mmj webpage: http://www.state.nj.us/health/med_marijuana.shtml

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

NY switched this election from the old pull the lever system to fill in the circle sheets.
-I used to be in and out of the machine in less than a minute. Now it takes way longer causing a nice back up at the polling place.
-I had a marker with no ink left in it, that had to be replaced.
-The new paper is around 2 feet wide. It needs to fit in the "privacy desk" that is around 1 foot wide.