• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore Mountain - 2/14/15

bzrperfspec77

Where: Gore Mountain
When: Saturday, February 14, 2015
Packed Powder

I normally don’t write trip reports as I am normally either late to getting to it or I went to a mountain where others have already been to recently and there is a trip report. Seeing as there are never too many trip reports for Gore, I will give you guys my take on the mountain and conditions…

This was my first time to Gore. I’ve driven by it numerous times in the past when coming back from camping up in the ADK’s, but I have never been here during the winter. My wife got hurt snowboarding in early January (AC separation in her shoulder) but she was a trooper and wanted to get out and enjoy the conditions herself so she went snowshoeing there. That meant we had to park in the North Creek Snowbowl area but when we arrived (@8:15am) we had the place to ourselves and got booted up and headed out as soon as we could. I was on the lift at 8:45am and she was off and going at the same time.

I didn’t ski in the North Creek area (Little Gore) I headed right up to the top. I had to ride what seemed like 15 chairlifts and traverse many different areas to get there but I did. I stayed over there for most of the morning and it was literally ski-on all morning. I rode the chairlift twice with people, and the other 12 or so times were by myself (lonely on Valentine’s Day! Ha!). This side did get a little skied off later in the day, but nothing to steer you away from it.

I enjoyed the side that had the Double Chair that went up to the top of “Lies” one of Gore’s signature Double Black runs. That skied really well, but for me it was too steep where I felt like I was surviving more than skiing it. I didn’t want to be that person that just goes down and pushes all the snow to the sides. The trails off the double chair were awesome. The glades and bumps on that side were skiing very well.
attachment.php

I met back up with my wife for a quick bite/snack and I headed back out for another hour or so. See some pictures below. I really enjoyed the old liftline from the top. It wasn’t listed on the map but it was skied and it looked interesting (Pictures below with the bumps and old lift). That trail was a lot of fun with some drops and big bumps (Right next to Rumors).
attachment.php
attachment.php

Overall it was a cool place. I won’t make it back up there this year, but that place must be a lot of fun on a good snow day, especially in the trees. They have a ton of glades/trees and are very good at grooming (Not many bump runs). The only negative is the amount of lift rides it takes to get anywhere on that “mountain”. I didn’t use the Gondi as it looked like a little line but it was pretty warm and no need to use the Gondi seeing as it went where so many other lifts went… The mountain was pretty easy to navigate once I looked at the trail map and was actually there, but it could be confusing to some. There were a lot of flats (Didn’t see a lot of snowboarders there). For a Saturday and having it ski-on all day, it was well worth the trip and is a great destination for people looking for light crowds.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20150214_090742333.jpg
    IMG_20150214_090742333.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20150214_094243268_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150214_094243268_HDR.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20150214_094246696_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150214_094246696_HDR.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20150214_102828781.jpg
    IMG_20150214_102828781.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20150214_102839132.jpg
    IMG_20150214_102839132.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 207

bzrperfspec77

Oh and we stopped at Druthers Brewing in Saratoga Springs. Good IPA and the Mac & Cheese was amazing (picture below)!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20150214_150132905.jpg
    IMG_20150214_150132905.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 202

legalskier

I headed right up to the top. I had to ride what seemed like 15 chairlifts and traverse many different areas to get there but I did.

You could have saved yourself much time by taking the gondi first, then skiing down to the Straight Brook Quad. Two rides gets you to the top. As you learned, Gore has many different pods, so people tend to do one pod, then move on to the next.
Did you get over to Burnt Ridge? The Sagamore trail and the glades are a lot of fun.
Btw, I'm not surprised the crowds were sparse, what with all the hype about the cold temps.

Last edited:

bzrperfspec77

Did you get over to Burnt Ridge? The Sagamore trail and the glades are a lot of fun.
Btw, I'm not surprised the crowds were sparse, what with all the hype about the cold temps.

Sagamore was a very fun trail in the morning. They do a great job at grooming at Gore and it was perfect corduroy to get warmed up with in the morning. Echo was also a lot of fun. I did go into barkeater glades. The glades were skied out, but still a lot of fun.