• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Grilling in the parking lot

Smellytele

I have grilled in the parking lot at MRG, Cannon, Sunday River and Wildcat but was surprised this past weekend that Magic doesn’t allow it.
What others allow or don’t allow grilling in the parking lot?

ski&soccermom

I have seen people grilling in Carinthia (Mount Snow) this season in the parking lot near the Nitro lift...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It's probably a big liability thing a lot of places just turn a blind eye to...or it's Covid. Myself and some buddies were having a few brews in the parking lot of Catamount and a state trooper pulled up and shouted something to us. We honestly couldn't tell if he said he was just passing through or telling us to put our masks up. We kept drinking :ROFLMAO:. Go to Killingtonzone and pose this question. They'll bring up how tailgating was pretty much illegal during the Nyberg days of the Bear Mountain Challenge. No outside alcohol and strictly enforced, iirc.

But drinking on private premises with your own alcohol is probably illegal, yes? I honestly don't know.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pat's apparently

Xwhaler has been there a couple of times recently and said they have signs up against it

skiur

It's probably a big liability thing a lot of places just turn a blind eye to...or it's Covid. Myself and some buddies were having a few brews in the parking lot of Catamount and a state trooper pulled up and shouted something to us. We honestly couldn't tell if he said he was just passing through or telling us to put our masks up. We kept drinking :ROFLMAO:. Go to Killingtonzone and pose this question. They'll bring up how tailgating was pretty much illegal during the Nyberg days of the Bear Mountain Challenge. No outside alcohol and strictly enforced, iirc.

But drinking on private premises with your own alcohol is probably illegal, yes? I honestly don't know.
Nyberg killed the bmmc, but we were still tailgating on the access rd and bay 1. He tried to kill that by ending the season in mid April but luckily did not succeed.

ne_skier

I have grilled in the parking lot at MRG, Cannon, Sunday River and Wildcat but was surprised this past weekend that Magic doesn’t allow it.
What others allow or don’t allow grilling in the parking lot?
I saw the signs, I'm pretty surprised. Being a mountain which sets up on-mountain snow bars and opens a trail if there's a millimeter of snow on it, I'm surprised they don't allow grilling. Probably has something to do with insurance, they don't want fires being set near cars/buildings

jimmywilson69

The tailgating scene is off the hook at Roundtop in PA. I'm being dead serious. Its pushing the boundaries of the legendary beach at A-Basin. With COVID this year, there is an even larger amount of people doing it. One day as I was walking to the lift and this family, they definitely look like the type of people who typically only sk iout west had a full griddle of home fries, and a huge legit spread. I'm certain the "adults" didn't ski at all that day! If vail ever tries to kill that there will literally be a revolt that makes the Capitol Storming look like childs play...

In PA there are "permitted" areas on premises where the business is legally allowed to sell and serve alcohol. I'm guessing at Rountop the parking lot is outside of that permitted area.

I can tell you this, some days there is more time spent drinking beer in the lot than actual skiing due to the stupid long lines we have had this year. Since we have a lot of sunny days it makes for a nice time to tailgate many weekends of the winter, even in January or December.

bizarrefaith

Last weekend or maybe the weekend before I saw some people with one of those solo stove fires set up in one of the parking pods off of Tuckerbrook at Cannon. Pretty sweet but does seem like a lot of effort.

2Planker

So we were told No grilling at Wildcat a couple weeks ago when we had 3 burgers on a tiny hibachi.. Yes, grilling over open flame....
So the very next day we brought a Webber Electric Grill and an invertor. Same car, same people, same burgers, Same parking lot Nazi told us that we couldn't do that either. We asked him to clarify IF elec was allowed, as there is no open flame. He stuttered and stumbled until he said I'll go check w/ my manager..... Bye Bye.

Still don't know the real answer

jaytrem

Reminds me of a high school bus trip to Hunter. A friend bought along a mini grill, burgers, hot dogs, and some charcoal. Turns out he had snagged the charcoal from his dad's grill and they were actually ceramic briquettes. BBQ fail!!!

dblskifanatic

I never really thought about all of this! We used to grill on a Coleman stove at Cannon (Zoomer Bar) and Killington in the spring including adult bevs. Also did that at Arapahoe Basin. I know this past spring at A basin that stopped tailgating when they reopened but now allow it again.

drjeff

Odds that we hear in the coming weeks, as the weather gets warmer, the sun stays out longer, and likely the tailgating gets more elaborate, of an incident where multiple cars end up on fire after an incident with some propane fueled heater/grill???

I'll start the betting line at 50/50 and likely bet the over

jimmywilson69

I mean people tailgate at sporting events, concerts, youth sports tournaments, etc. all of the time and I've never heard of such an event. has it happened, definitely. Does it happen regularly, doubtful. If it did no one would allow tailgating.

tumbler

I can't believe burning cars have not happened more often esp at football games. The amount of times I see the charcoal grill stuffed under the car to cool off or the firepit left burning is crazy. By the time game time comes, not a lot of judgment brain cells left...
I mean people tailgate at sporting events, concerts, youth sports tournaments, etc. all of the time and I've never heard of such an event. has it happened, definitely. Does it happen regularly, doubtful. If it did no one would allow tailgating.

Newpylong

I used my LP fueled Coleman hiking grill: Fold N Go™+ Propane Grill | Coleman at Killington earlier this week and no issues. Then again, it was slow at the mountain.

Hard to expect folks to use their vehicles as base lodges and eat cold cuts all winter IMHO. I would just turn a blind eye to it.

jimk

Go away spammer!
Looks like a mod made it go away, but yeah I get a kick out of old threads being resurrected by spambots. It gets surreal when a thread is taken over by bots posting to each other:rolleyes:

I've been a part of parking lot grilling parties at Snowbird, Alta, Solitude, and Brighton in recent years.

jimmywilson69

We grill every weekend at Roundtop. On a nice blue bird Saturday the tailgating scene is off the hook. Lots of smiles and lots of brews. Those are the days I'm definitely happy I live close...