• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Grilling

Grassi21

Anyone grill pizza? I did a tomato, fresh mozz, basil, evoo, and s&p. I also did one covered in fontina cheese, and some mixed shrooms that sauteed with garlic, evoo, parsley, and s&p. they came out excellent on a gas grill. charcoal would be even better for this application.

sledhaulingmedic

Anyone grill pizza? I did a tomato, fresh mozz, basil, evoo, and s&p. I also did one covered in fontina cheese, and some mixed shrooms that sauteed with garlic, evoo, parsley, and s&p. they came out excellent on a gas grill. charcoal would be even better for this application.

Yes, but only on the Egg. With the insulation of the ceramic, it's easy to get a 500F+ interior temp. Pizza, the key = HOT! YOu can certainly do it with any fuel, but hot and smoky makes it the best!

skijay

I love my Weber grill. Each time before I cook I fire it up to 500 degrees and then I use the brass brush to clean the grates. I also have the Weber cover and my grill still looks new and performs like new.

I have also been grilling pizzas. After I clean the grill I heat it up to 400, open the grill and place the pizza on towards the back. I close the grill and cut the front burner down to low and turn the rear burner off. The temp stays about 350.

In about 15 minutes, I have a great fire grilled pizza. It does not burn, the crust is crispy and the cheese melts. Oh, before you top the pizza, brush the underside with a thin coat of evoo.

I have been buying the store brand "Boboli" type thin crusts. For toppings I use pesto, roasted red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts and a mixture of parmessan and mozzerlla cheese. If I want a traditional pizza, I use a pasta sauce (whatever has the lowest amount of sugar in it ), mozzerella, parmessan and sometimes bacon or pepperoni. I find that pasta sauce or an Italian baking sauce that has tomatoes as the number one ingredient instead of corn syrup or sugar tastes better on a pizza.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Period :lol: I still don't know how a penny pincher like you owns an Audi :lol:

If you can believe it, I have two cars at the moment. I'm looking to sell the S4. More proof of my cheapness- I replaced it with a 1999 Subie Outback with 123k miles, for under 7g's.

Want to buy an Audi? ;)

sledhaulingmedic

I have also been grilling pizzas. After I clean the grill I heat it up to 400, open the grill and place the pizza on towards the back. I close the grill and cut the front burner down to low and turn the rear burner off. The temp stays about 350.

In about 15 minutes, I have a great fire grilled pizza. It does not burn, the crust is crispy and the cheese melts. Oh, before you top the pizza, brush the underside with a thin coat of evoo.

I have been buying the store brand "Boboli" type thin crusts. For toppings I use pesto, roasted red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts and a mixture of parmessan and mozzerlla cheese. If I want a traditional pizza, I use a pasta sauce (whatever has the lowest amount of sugar in it ), mozzerella, parmessan and sometimes bacon or pepperoni. I find that pasta sauce or an Italian baking sauce that has tomatoes as the number one ingredient instead of corn syrup or sugar tastes better on a pizza.

I'm surprised you get good results at such a low temp, but hey, if it works, go for in.

I build a big-a$$ fire in the egg, get the temo up to 500+, toss some chips in for flavour, put in the grate, the ceramic stone and in the pizza goes. I have to keep an eye on it. At that temp, the fire tends to be a little O2 starved, so it "rolls over" when the lid gets opened. 10 minutes tops and it's yummy. My neighbor says it smells like Bertucci's when I cook one.

My favorite: Red chile instead of pizza sauce. A mix of cheddar and monterey jack, smoked chicken, roasted green chiles and red onion. yum

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm surprised you get good results at such a low temp, but hey, if it works, go for in.

I build a big-a$$ fire in the egg, get the temo up to 500+, toss some chips in for flavour, put in the grate, the ceramic stone and in the pizza goes. I have to keep an eye on it. At that temp, the fire tends to be a little O2 starved, so it "rolls over" when the lid gets opened. 10 minutes tops and it's yummy. My neighbor says it smells like Bertucci's when I cook one.

My favorite: Red chile instead of pizza sauce. A mix of cheddar and monterey jack, smoked chicken, roasted green chiles and red onion. yum

Only a firefighter would cause a backdraft grilling a pizza. :D

bvibert

Staff member
If you can believe it, I have two cars at the moment. I'm looking to sell the S4. More proof of my cheapness- I replaced it with a 1999 Subie Outback with 123k miles, for under 7g's.

Want to buy an Audi? ;)

Why did you decide to sell the S4?

Grassi21

I go sans pizza stone and get good results. But I like the way you think. Mostly I'm too lazy to transfer the pizza stone from the oven to the grill.

PS - I'm going to use your recipe this weekend. Sounds great. I've been really into this sauce lately.
4137AFF5SDL._AA280_.jpg

ctenidae

I've used the stone in the grill a couple of times, but only with my old grill that really didn't get too hot. My new Ducane pegs out the thermometer on "medium". Probably great for pizza. Or smelting iron.

bvibert

Staff member
I was kinda ready for a wagon. And something cheaper. Mostly cheaper.

I hear ya on the wagon. Cheaper, like maintenance wise?

As much as I like the subbies it would be tough for me to go from a car like the S4 to one...

sledhaulingmedic

I've used the stone in the grill a couple of times, but only with my old grill that really didn't get too hot. My new Ducane pegs out the thermometer on "medium". Probably great for pizza. Or smelting iron.

Hey! A fellow Ducane owner! I haven't checked the temp on mine. It's not incinerator hot, or at least it doesn;t seem to be, due to the ceramiic bricks. Interesting to hear of one that runs hot. (My dad's doens't either.)

ctenidae

Hey! A fellow Ducane owner! I haven't checked the temp on mine. It's not incinerator hot, or at least it doesn;t seem to be, due to the ceramiic bricks. Interesting to hear of one that runs hot. (My dad's doens't either.)

It's like a blast furnace. I finally figured out that even on low food over a burner will burn. Now I use all three to heat it up, then turn off the middle and put the food there. I should get a thermometer that will read up to 1000 degrees to see just how hot it gets. I may open a blacksmith shop.

sledhaulingmedic

It's like a blast furnace. I finally figured out that even on low food over a burner will burn. Now I use all three to heat it up, then turn off the middle and put the food there. I should get a thermometer that will read up to 1000 degrees to see just how hot it gets. I may open a blacksmith shop.

My experience is only with the 2 burner models. The heat regulation is excellent. We have a fellow at work who cooks his meat like the butcher in "Gangs of New York" (sear on each side, RED everywhere) and he returned his Ducane becase he wanted it hotter. That's he first I've heard of a Ducane blast furnace.

Where'd you get yours, Yankee?

ctenidae

Used the stone in the Ducane.
Note: The stone, being above the burners, gets substantially hotter than the thermometer reades. Like, NASA hot. As in, instant charing of the crust. Top was great, bottom certainly fulfilled my USRDA for carbon.