• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Have you ever...

BeefyBoy50

When I skiied Crested Butte last spring (felt like summer almost, it was the end of March), a lot of the good black and double blacks were closed due to very little base. Each day the temperature would get up to mid- upper 50s although it was just under freezing in the mornings. We wound up skiing Crested Butte's main, and one of their best, groomer trails. It's called international and has 3 or 4 steep pitches followed by flats to carry your speed. Although we might've deviated from the trail a couple times during the day, we wound up just lapping the same run for a long time. In the morning it was fast and icy and in the afternoon it was slushy and super slow in the flats. We wound up skiing that run so much that we knew exactly where every little jump was and every slush spot to avoid. I think i skiied that run so much that I will remember the layout of it forever. I'm dissapointed that the weather was so bad, though, because I was at crested with 2 friends of mine and I had talked about how years before, we got snow for 6 days straight, but instead it was just a slush fest and they never got to see much of that mountain other than International.

millerm277

Sure. Plenty of early/late season WROD's when that's the only option.

There have been a few times at Killington where there's something, usually "reserved" that I've just skied over and over again for hours. I remember one day when everything but the K-1 was on wind hold after the Valentine's Day Storm....traversed my way under the rope and all the way around to Skyelark where there were huge drifts collected just for my skiing, looped that for hours.

deadheadskier

Staff member
many, many, times if I find good bumps.

Definitely had full days on Outer Limits or Superstar at K. As a kid at Okemo, if the bumps on Sels were good, I'd ski it all day long.

Hawkshot99

When i go to Demo days at Okemo I almost ski the same trail all day. Or at least the same 2 trails. They usually set up in the Jackson Gore base, and from there you cant really ski the main part of the mtn. as it takes to long to get there and back for a new set of skis.

Cheese

I don't remember all day but certainly the better part of some days. Besides bump runs there have been times when the snow guns are tuned perfectly to put out New England powder and skiing under them can be worth a full day of lapping. There are also rare times when the snow makers have been cranking out the snow for 2-3 days on a closed trail and the ski patrol is generous enough to drop the rope before the groomers can get at the whales to flatten them into a billiard table.

Cornhead

Rarely, usually only at the very beginning or end of the season. Last year however, I found myself skiing the same trail over and over again at my home hill, Greek Peak. It was after a major storm last year, 4", there was no base, but the trail skied great, even after stalks of grass were sticking through the snow. It was much better than the side of the trail they'd been blowing on. I think it may have even been closed. :dunce:

Euler

As a teenager at Dry Hill in Watertown NY there really was only one trail! Also this afternoon I'll be heading to Mt. Snow and I imagine I'll be lapping Ridge and Cascade/Canyon the whole afternoon since thats all that's open on the main face.

Cheese

Avenger at Attitash/Bear Peak on a blue bird spring day. Not on the main trail but right under the lift there can be bumps & crud. There's just something about hammering the bumps, airing one out to clear a twiggy bush, more bumps, hucking the mini cliff and then finishing up in the last set of bumps. Having a supportive audience in the chairs above helps as well. Wow, thinkin' about those runs just gave me a chub!

Last edited:
No....I get bored skiing the same trail time after time, regardless of how good it may be. On the contrary, there have been times where I've visited an area I haven't skied in years, actually Killington is an example, where I made it a point to hit every open lift and ski at least one trail in that area. The only exception that day was the Snowshed area. Even though I didn't ski it, I considered riding and sking at least one trail in each lift pod that day. It actually was a really great day and re-aquainted me to an area that I hadn't skied in a decade.

C-Rex

A few years ago at Sugarloaf we spent the day lapping this run: From the top of the Sugarloaf Superquad cut across to Upper Binder, about 3/4 way down cut across to Tote Road, then down Spurline, to the blue section of Double Bitter, to the mini-pipe and then through the Stomping Grounds terrain park. Such a fun run. Upper Binder is one of my favorite trails, narrow with lots of stuff on the edges to mess around on. Then a high speed bombing run down Tote Road and Spurline. The blue section of Double Bitter has a huge roller with a long, steep landing to launch and then takes you to the mini pipe. The pipe is hardly ever cut but is still fun to play in when it's just a natural feature. That puts you at the top of Stomping Grounds which always has fun, medium sized features for us mere mortals.

MadMadWorld

Certain trails at certain mountains seem to always have powder days after a storm so if other trails are skied off, I will most definitely stick to that same trail. More often then not, it usually unmarked woods that I will ski over and over again on a given day.

dlague

Sometimes when we are lapping non stop runs where we might pick the longest or fastest run with the shortest lift ride/line. However, our mission is to ski different trails all day unless the ski area is smaller or it is early or late season then runs get repeated.