• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help! Pinched nerve in neck

So a few of nights ago, I began to feel pain on the back of my neck. I didn't think much of it until the pain grew worse into a kind of shooting pain that was triggered when I moved my head. I've had a previous history of neck spasms; so I treated the the problem by putting a heating pad on my neck, and getting a perscription for muscle relaxers at the pharmacy. Unlike before, the problem only worsened, so I revisited the doc and he diagnosed the problem as a pinched nerve in my neck.

So this is where the problem is; the doctor told me to use heat therapy and if worst comes to worst a cortisone shot. I don't really see how heat therapy would help with the pinched nerve at all, and the last thing I want is a Cortizone Injection.

For those of you who have dealt with this painful experience, how have you guys treated a pinched nerve?

steamboat1

I don't know what to tell you. I've had a neck problem for well over a year now. It's a little painful when I move it certain ways & I often feel it cracking. I don't know what the problem is but it doesn't get any better & it doesn't get any worse. I've kinda learned to live with it.

legalskier

A friend has the same thing- we were talking about it yesterday as a matter of fact. His can flare up just by resting his chin in his palm for too long, e.g. when he's watching tv. What helps him the most is to do certain exercises his physical therapist taught him.
Here's an article that discusses it, as well as heat/cold treatment: http://voices.yahoo.com/my-experience-pinched-nerve-neck-2647241.html