• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

High Priced Lift Tickets

Mainer

My kids were thirsty so we were drinking a water as we loaded the lift. Lifty says no drinks on lift and pointed to a sign that said the same thing. Midweek attitash, empty maze just our family. Vail was king of stupid covid rules that made no sense.

snoseek

If you were a faithful wildcat skier, there is definitely a reason to hate vail. I gave them a pass the first pandemic year. The second year was worse. Last year no summit access until mid January. Huge crowds and not running lifts. Bar vibe was killed. Stupid vaccine mandate to warm up. Closing the upper bathroom because of covid. Being told you can’t bring water on the lift. Losing a ton of younger employees because of the vax mandate. The list goes on and on. Certainly not blind hatred.
Sure it was awful but none of this is the case now

Covid brought out some serious stupidity all around.

Kingslug20

If one is really honest, they could track back to the 2002 Olympics as when much of the world started to "discover" what an incredible skiing/riding destination (and in many cases - Trailboss included - a place to move to and live) the greater SLC region is, which is when the ground work for the crowds that have built over the years, even before the mega passes of today (and no doubt the mega passes have accelerated that crowding over the last few years for sure) began.

The greater SLC area, and not just on hill volume, has changed and grown immensely since I 1st when there in 2001
Like LaGrave...sleepy French town..insane skiing...crowded now...
It was...discovered.....

Kingslug20

Are they worried about someone dropping a water bottle....maybe.
No other reason I can think of.

Mainer

I believe you were supposed to wear a mask on the lift and if you drink water you have to pull mask down. But it’s ok to do that in ski lodge

drjeff

Can't bring water on lift? What's the story on that one?
Agree..

Now if that "water" had its origins with some yeast and various grains, that I could see, especially if one is flaunting it, but just plain water on a lift, gotta be some back story to that

jaytrem

Well, one good thing about the mask requirement was I learned that a nice thin one can keep my nose warm and not fog up my googles as much as other options. Also pretty easy to put up and down.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If one is really honest, they could track back to the 2002 Olympics as when much of the world started to "discover" what an incredible skiing/riding destination (and in many cases - Trailboss included - a place to move to and live) the greater SLC region is, which is when the ground work for the crowds that have built over the years, even before the mega passes of today (and no doubt the mega passes have accelerated that crowding over the last few years for sure) began.

The greater SLC area, and not just on hill volume, has changed and grown immensely since I 1st when there in 2001
2002? Might as well go back to 1800. Again, the issues began in 2018-2019 when IKON came out. We moved here in 2011 so your argument does not really work. We have some nice consolation prizes for you.

You can try to argue around it with all the mental gymnastics you want but Occam's Razor applies here. Our eyes are not fooling us. Rapid population growth from 2019 onward + cheap multi mountain pass product + limited geographic access for the ski areas = disaster. Frankly, all that would make me happy is if those who created the mess were accountable. So you can say that is 1 million people or so or one company that decided to out-do Vail at its own game. I think I know which one is easier to understand. Frankly, Alterra is slowly trying to reign it in on some of their properties.

My wife and I are considering options in the mid-term future because the traffic, climate changes, and serious impact on what we love to do is all wearing on us.

Last edited:

Razor

My son lives in Ft. Collins. An avid skier, he pretty much has given up due to I-80 traffic. On a weekend day, he has to leave Copper or Winter Park to come home by1:00 PM or the 2 hour ride becomes 5. That's after getting up before dawn to beat the traffic out to the mountains.

JimG.

Staff member
Well, one good thing about the mask requirement was I learned that a nice thin one can keep my nose warm and not fog up my googles as much as other options. Also pretty easy to put up and down.
I discovered the Blackstrap (actually Kusty posted a link to their site) because of masking requirements. Best headgear for skiing ever. Can't imagine skiing in a storm or intense snowmaking without one on now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I discovered the Blackstrap (actually Kusty posted a link to their site) because of masking requirements. Best headgear for skiing ever. Can't imagine skiing in a storm or intense snowmaking without one on now.
They make great stuff.

JimG.

Staff member
They make great stuff.
And in an immense variety of colors!

I also found out that wearing a surgical mask when I use my riding mower spares me allergic reactions to dust and pollen. Would never have thought of that unless I had been forced to put one on for other reasons.

All thanks to the pandemic.