• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Highpointing

How many high points have you hit?

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One

• 2-5

• 5-10

• 10-25

• 25-49

• All of 'em!

• Total voters

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
I'm curious if there are folks actively pursuing the high points. (That is, visiting all of the highest points in each state.)

I've thought about it... and then realized the likelyhood of me hitting Ranier or Denali is slim to none. :-/

-Stephen

Greg

Staff member
4 for me, I guess. NH, MA, CT and NY.

Mike P.

RI when the driveway was considered okay
CT, MA, VT, NH, ME, NJ, NY, PA, TN, NC
& Germany's highpoint

I started off as a highpointer & switched to peakbagging, if I get bet some business travel to other states in teh right seasons, I'd get more.

Frodo

I am into "highpointing", mainly because I love to explore this beautiful country that we live in, but there are SO many amazing places in this country that we can never visit them all. State highpoints are generally the most spectacular peak in a given state, but not always (especially in Colorado), so if you are into "highpointing" be sure to spend some extra time and climb some of the other peaks...

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, I've done Mansfield and Washington. Does Ben Nevis, the United Kingdom's highest peak count as one?

Max

ME, NH, VT, MA. Is there a state outside of New England that has a high point that you can drive over? If so, I may have hit that one too. :D

OK, now how many have you reached by bicycle? 2 for me...NH & MA (though I did have to walk the few remaining yards on each one).

Mike P.

You can drive within feet of NJ, DE, within yards of NC, 1/4 mile & 300 or so feet of TN, 1 mile or so & almost no elevation gain for PA, I imagine some of the southern peaks can be driven close to & KS Mt. Sunflower allows a pretty close drive with almost no gain from the car.

Americasroof.com would have links to these.

Mike P.

Ben nevis is one of the other dangerous small mountains of the world with many deaths, similar to Washington. Fierce storms out of the North Sea & 4,406 feet or so (4409?) on an island is a receipe for bad weather.