• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hike Southington?

Tech420

I was thinking about hiking Mt. Southington tomorrow since we got dumped on here in Connecticut. Will I be hassled for doing this, or is it ok? I'm new to the northeast and never had a chance to do this last year.

2knees

not to come across as an ass, but i think you would need a snowmobile to tow you downhill with this snow and their pitch.

Tech420

not to come across as an ass, but i think you would need a snowmobile to tow you downhill with this snow and their pitch.
Haha I appreciate your input. You're certainly right about no pitch I rode there a couple times last year and was down the hill in 30 seconds. I'm headed to Killington this weekend, but was hoping to get a few turns in tomorrow if rideable. So I guess the snow is too wet? Like I said I'm still rather new to the northeast and last year didn't teach me anything about snowfall :angry:.

WoodCore

I was thinking about hiking Mt. Southington tomorrow since we got dumped on here in Connecticut. Will I be hassled for doing this, or is it ok? I'm new to the northeast and never had a chance to do this last year.

No go at Southington! It's private property and considered trespassing. You could go up to Mohawk however, it's a state park and open to hikers.

drjeff

Totally agree! I was at a lecture in Southington yesterday (at the Aqua Turf club for those that know the area, which is maybe 3 miles from the base of Mt Southington) - when I left at about 2PM, the 3-4" of snow that I had to clear off my car was pretty much paste. Far from ideal stuff to attempt to make some turns in on a flat pitch - much more likely to slide in though while in a 3,000lb or so vehicle with 4 tires though :eek:

o3jeff

I've hit Southington on a fresh cement day with a base under it and it sucked!

Living in Southington and having had to shovel it I can confirm it was wet and heavy.

Glenn

Last night in Wallyworld, the snow actually wasn't that bad. However, this AM...different story.

*Edit: Jeff, we shoulda done lunch. My office is 5 minutes from there. :lol: