• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Home Improvement Projects this summer

drjeff

When I had a yard to maintain I never fertilized it, as long as there was something greenish growing I was happy. :lol:

Maybe it's because I also love to golf and really enjoy the look of a freshly cut fairway with "stripes" in it from the direction of the mower cuts, but the greener and snazzier looking my yard is in my eyes, the greater the sense of satisfaction I get. My father was the same way when he maintained my families yard as I was growing up, and he definately passed that trait on to me, and I actually take great pride when he comes over to my house and says "the yard looks good" :)

bvibert

Staff member
Maybe it's because I also love to golf and really enjoy the look of a freshly cut fairway with "stripes" in it from the direction of the mower cuts, but the greener and snazzier looking my yard is in my eyes, the greater the sense of satisfaction I get. My father was the same way when he maintained my families yard as I was growing up, and he definately passed that trait on to me, and I actually take great pride when he comes over to my house and says "the yard looks good" :)

I like the look of a nicely groomed yard too, I just don't care if it's mine or not. To each his own, but I have other things I'd much rather be doing than perfecting my lawn.

ETA; my favorite look for a yard is white. ;)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
By the time the black top gets to 350 degrees it is almost hard.

OK maybe I am explaining it wrong. When you seal it your are doing exactly that. The original black top can not breath. It bakes because the sealent does it job and lets nothing in. It becomes brittle over time. Hope that helps

But how does it get brittle? For the properties to change, something must happen to it's composition, no? I'm not being a wise ass, I'm just trying to figure out what you're talking about...

And I only know that asphalt is paved around 350 degrees because I had a friend who worked paving one summer in college. Said it was the worst job ever. What temperature is it actually?

I don't see much point in sealing a driveway other than it looks pretty. If sealing pavement was something that really prolonged the life of it wouldn't they be putting it on the roads and highways?

Major highways I think are poured thick enough and with non permeable beds so water won't undermine it create potholes (as fast).

But side roads that aren't paved as thick and may just use gravel bed surfaces are sealed. They chip seal all over the place AFAIK.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Blacktop driveways are smoother and cleaner than gravel driveways. Unfortunately, asphalt driveways don't remain smooth and black forever. The forces of nature do their best to break down the surface. Unless your driveway is adequately maintained, cracks and potholes will appear. Grass can take over the edges and work its way through developing cracks.

Excessive heat, ultraviolet rays and substances such as salt, oil, gas and grease all take their toll. Without protection, that beautiful black driveway eventually can become a lumpy, crumbling mess. If you are willing to put forth a little effort, you can prevent these problems by sealing, protecting and maintaining your driveway. Lowe's is happy to provide this information as a service to you.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=LawnGarden/SealDvWay.html

Why bother sealing asphalt driveways? As water permeates cracks in the material and settles down at the base, the strength of the base is compromised, resulting in the formation of potholes. Cracks filled with water are also an open invitation in the North to damage from freezing. Even in warm climates, grass can begin to grow up through cracks on the edges of the surface. Damage from ultraviolet rays and oil/gas spills are other good reasons for sealing asphalt driveways.

http://landscaping.about.com/od/drivewaysandwalkways1/ht/driveway_sealer.htm

Although asphalt driveways are amazingly durable, the surface can become pitted and cracks can appear. Once the cracks are in place, you've opened the door to more deterioration through water seepage and repeated freeze/thaw cycles.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/home_clinic/1275716.html?page=2

Sealcoating an asphalt driveway every three years not only will make it look better, it actually will make it last longer. Sealing shields paving from the sun’s ultraviolet rays, which can deteriorate the binder and expose the aggregate. Sealcoating also prevents water and ice from getting into the paving and causing it to crumble.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infdrivewaysealer/infdrivewaysealer.html

Terry

I am building my wifes laundry room that I started 18 years ago and kept putting it off. I have it wired, plumbed, and sheetrocked and am in the process of doing the mudding and sanding now. Then I will put in the new tile floor and move in the apliances. It is always a challenge in a 200 year old house as nothing is ever straight, level, or square. It is also post and beam with exposed cieling beams so there is a lot of fussy cutting on the sheetrock, and lots of edges to mud. Getting there though!

Paul

I am building my wifes laundry room that I started 18 years ago and kept putting it off. I have it wired, plumbed, and sheetrocked and am in the process of doing the mudding and sanding now. Then I will put in the new tile floor and move in the apliances. It is always a challenge in a 200 year old house as nothing is ever straight, level, or square. It is also post and beam with exposed cieling beams so there is a lot of fussy cutting on the sheetrock, and lots of edges to mud. Getting there though!

Unfortunately, the same can be said of 6 year-old houses....:-?

BeanoNYC

Put down a pergo floor in our bedroom and painted. I'm going to start on the nursery in a few weeks. Paint and pergo. We're looking for a house so I don't want to go crazy.

In the meantime. I've been renovating my Mother-in-Law's kitchen.

Gutted half of the room.

2763162185_d7180f75b2.jpg

2764008474_80e8c9aa54.jpg

Put in a header and opened the wall going into the dining room a bit

2763162817_3cc3f640f6.jpg

2764009138_6d1a3f5ee9.jpg

After some small wiring work. I rocked the walls and taped:

2763163671_8e7be8b9ca.jpg

2763163971_0f5eeec070.jpg

Terry

Put down a pergo floor in our bedroom and painted. I'm going to start on the nursery in a few weeks. Paint and pergo. We're looking for a house so I don't want to go crazy.

In the meantime. I've been renovating my Mother-in-Law's kitchen.

Gutted half of the room.

2763162185_d7180f75b2.jpg

2764008474_80e8c9aa54.jpg

Put in a header and opened the wall going into the dining room a bit

2763162817_3cc3f640f6.jpg

2764009138_6d1a3f5ee9.jpg

After some small wiring work. I rocked the walls and taped:

2763163671_8e7be8b9ca.jpg

2763163971_0f5eeec070.jpg

Plaster and lath - Gotta love it. What a frikkin mess that stuff makes when demoing. I demoed my livingroom a few years ago and the mess was 4 feet deep and the whole house was full of dust.

BeanoNYC

Plaster and lath - Gotta love it. What a frikkin mess that stuff makes when demoing. I demoed my livingroom a few years ago and the mess was 4 feet deep and the whole house was full of dust.

Well here's the kicker. When I gutted the kitchen, I had to go through 2 layers of sheet rock. I needed to cut through the plaster and lath to open up the other side of the wall. I'm still coughing up crap.

wa-loaf

Well here's the kicker. When I gutted the kitchen, I had to go through 2 layers of sheet rock. I needed to cut through the plaster and lath to open up the other side of the wall. I'm still coughing up crap.

Sounds like my house. Redid a bathroom and there were three layers. Some kind of plasticy stuff and paneling over plaster and lath and beadboard. :smash:

BeanoNYC

Sounds like my house. Redid a bathroom and there were three layers. Some kind of plasticy stuff and paneling over plaster and lath and beadboard. :smash:

C of O on the house reads 1895. Last time I gutted a room I found old gas lines for lights...

wa-loaf

C of O on the house reads 1895. Last time I gutted a room I found old gas lines for lights...

That's pretty old. Mines only 1925. There is a tag on the gas main in the basement with instructions from WWII on what do during an air raid.

BeanoNYC

That's pretty old. Mines only 1925. There is a tag on the gas main in the basement with instructions from WWII on what do during an air raid.

Well what are you waiting for? What do you do during an air raid? I'm assuming you turn off the main off, but anything else other than that and kissing your ass goodbye?

wa-loaf

Well what are you waiting for? What do you do during an air raid? I'm assuming you turn off the main off, but anything else other than that and kissing your ass goodbye?

Acutally you only turn it off once your house has been bombed. :-o

airraid.jpg