• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Home Improvement Projects this summer

tjf67

How do you mean? The asphalt becomes brittle? Do you think it wouldn't have crumbled anyway without the sealant? Sounds like bad prep work on the driveway.

The sealer keeps the moisture out of the asphault. Over the years it dries ond becomes brittle. The sealer also keeps oil out to a certain extent so if someone visits your house with a leaky car it wont wreck the driveway. If its your car leaking onto it does not matter it gets wrecked either way.

Look at an older driveway that has never been seeled. It will be a gray color but still plyable. Then look at a driveway that looks about the same age that has been coated. It will be breaking apart in places.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The sealer keeps the moisture out of the asphault. Over the years it dries ond becomes brittle. The sealer also keeps oil out to a certain extent so if someone visits your house with a leaky car it wont wreck the driveway. If its your car leaking onto it does not matter it gets wrecked either way.

Look at an older driveway that has never been seeled. It will be a gray color but still plyable. Then look at a driveway that looks about the same age that has been coated. It will be breaking apart in places.

So... water keeps asphalt plyable? I've never heard that before. Asphalt, being refined from crude oil, I'm pretty sure doesn't have water in it. Being that it's made out of a petroleum distilate and like other hydrocarbons of it's nature, is extremely hydrophobic.

Beetlenut

So... water keeps asphalt plyable? I've never heard that before. Asphalt, being refined from crude oil, I'm pretty sure doesn't have water in it. Being that it's made out of a petroleum distilate and like other hydrocarbons of it's nature, is extremely hydrophobic.

Toot,...Toot! :razz:

Greg

Staff member
You go to college so you can make enough $$$$ to hire a handyman..lol

I get a lot of satisfaction out of knowing so much of the stuff on my property I did myself. I get a lot of compliments for it too. It goes beyond saving some coin which of course is part of it. I wouldn't expect you to relate at all.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of knowing so much of the stuff on my property I did myself. I get a lot of compliments for it too. It goes beyond saving some coin which of course is part of it. I wouldn't expect you to relate at all.

I understand..my parents next door neighbor cuts his own grass and he's uber rich..he wouldn't think of paying some kid $30..when I lived in Montana I helped my buddy Larry who was a contractor install carpet and flooring tile..and I got the hang of it..alot of it which involves measurements is cool since I like numbers..At my parents old house..I painted the railings of the two balconeys..and did a darn good job..

Beetlenut

I get a lot of satisfaction out of knowing so much of the stuff on my property I did myself. I get a lot of compliments for it too. It goes being saving some coin which of course is part of it. I wouldn't expect you to relate at all.

The sad part is, most times that you pay for something you could have done yourself, turns out you could have done a better job and you still have to pay them. After enough projects, it comes down to what your not willing to work on for whatever reason.

tjf67

Nope it keep the air out so it bakes, but thanks for sharing those big words. Just saying what I have experienced.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Nope it keep the air out so it bakes, but thanks for sharing those big words. Just saying what I have experienced.

So... what does baking without air do to it? They pave it at like 350 degrees F. I betcha it doesn't get that hot on a summer day.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Also, if there was a way to say what you quoted me as saying with smaller words, let me know. I'll use the small ones next time.

drjeff

I get a lot of satisfaction out of knowing so much of the stuff on my property I did myself. I get a lot of compliments for it too.QUOTE]

I share that exact same sentiment. This year, I finally just simply for time reason reluctantly turned over my yard fertilizing duties to a service. But in no way could I ever forsee myself giving up my yard cutting/pruning/weeding/mulching/etc, etc, etc duties that I enjoy and derrive a great deal of satisfaction from.

bvibert

Staff member
I like the satisfaction of doing a job myself as well, but cutting the lawn is definitely something I would easily let someone else do.

Greg

Staff member
I share that exact same sentiment. This year, I finally just simply for time reason reluctantly turned over my yard fertilizing duties to a service. But in no way could I ever forsee myself giving up my yard cutting/pruning/weeding/mulching/etc, etc, etc duties that I enjoy and derrive a great deal of satisfaction from.

I buy the cheap ass Vigoro fertilizer from Home Depot and have seen excellent results. It cost me less than $30 to fertilize my lawn, and could never envision paying for one of those services. But I agree about getting out and doing yardwork. It's very therapeutic and rewarding for me.

tjf67

So... what does baking without air do to it? They pave it at like 350 degrees F. I betcha it doesn't get that hot on a summer day.

By the time the black top gets to 350 degrees it is almost hard.

OK maybe I am explaining it wrong. When you seal it your are doing exactly that. The original black top can not breath. It bakes because the sealent does it job and lets nothing in. It becomes brittle over time. Hope that helps

o3jeff

I don't see much point in sealing a driveway other than it looks pretty. If sealing pavement was something that really prolonged the life of it wouldn't they be putting it on the roads and highways?

o3jeff

Cutting the lawns doesn't bother me, I only have .25 acre which takes me under a half hour.

As far as fertilizer I do that myself too and since I have well water and I read somewhere that I shouldn't do it too often so I do it in the spring and fall only and the lawn looks pretty good.

bvibert

Staff member
When I had a yard to maintain I never fertilized it, as long as there was something greenish growing I was happy. :lol:

drjeff

I buy the cheap ass Vigoro fertilizer from Home Depot and have seen excellent results. It cost me less than $30 to fertilize my lawn, and could never envision paying for one of those services. But I agree about getting out and doing yardwork. It's very therapeutic and rewarding for me.

Most of it this year got down to the time issue. I just couldn't seem to find the time during daylight hours to get the stuff down, so I called upon the services of one of my patients who has a lawncare service. Plus I had a few areas of my yard where the soil had become so compacted because of the construction vehicles that were there 2 years ago that I knew that some of my yard had to be aerated to get some oxygen down to the root structure, so I had them do that too.

I really look at my roughly 2 1/2 hours of lawncare a week as my own "quiet time" even if those 2 and 1/2 hours are filled with the sounds of gas powered lawn equipment :)