• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Home Improvement Projects this summer

TheBEast

the trex stuff is expensive. my contractor friends cant even find a place to get it cheep.

True, but it is well worth the investment IMHO. Those memories of doing the water sealer every summer of my parent's deck is nothing I ever want to repeat........

hammer

I starting staining the deck. Oof. What a nightmare. The spindles on the railing are tedious since I've decided to brush it on (2 coats). The deck is three years old and the wood is sucking this stuff up like crazy. I shouldn't have waited this long. A 5 gallon pail should have completed the job, but it's already half gone and I haven't even starting on the surface of the lower larger deck yet. I hope to be done by the end of the weekend.
Have you considered using a foam roller to put the stain on? I did my spindles a few years ago (and need to touch them up now :-?) and using the brish was a real PITA...but when we re-stained our wood swingset last year we used foam rollers and the job went a lot quicker.

Now if I could only get going on reassembling the swingset...that's a project that I'd really like to get done before ski season starts. It's not a difficult task, but I need to clean 10 years of rust from the hardware, which is tedious...

There is an answer to this issue and it's called Composite Decking material. A bit more in the beginning but none of this back breaking work in the heat of summer! I just get a pressure washer and clean it down every spring! Viola!
I'm sold on the Composite material...I had Trex put down and, while I don't like how it seems to easily get mildew spots, I really like not having to worry about splinters on my feet.

ctenidae

We're wrapping up the bathroom remodel now. All that's left is silicon, and we're done. Last major project for this place, praise be to jeebus.

Greg

Staff member
There is an answer to this issue and it's called Composite Decking material. A bit more in the beginning but none of this back breaking work in the heat of summer! I just get a pressure washer and clean it down every spring! Viola!

The surface area of my deck is almost 850 square feet. Composite decking would have doubled the cost of the whole thing. A helluva lot more that a "bit" more. The surface of the deck is easy. It's the railings and stairs that suck.

Moe Ghoul

Have you considered using a foam roller to put the stain on? I did my spindles a few years ago (and need to touch them up now :-?) and using the brish was a real PITA...but when we re-stained our wood swingset last year we used foam rollers and the job went a lot quicker.

Now if I could only get going on reassembling the swingset...that's a project that I'd really like to get done before ski season starts. It's not a difficult task, but I need to clean 10 years of rust from the hardware, which is tedious...

I'm sold on the Composite material...I had Trex put down and, while I don't like how it seems to easily get mildew spots, I really like not having to worry about splinters on my feet.

My spindles are removable sections, so I set up a work horse with a piece of scrap plywood and knock em out with a small roller. I roll the deck surface as well. I put the spindles in the garage over the winter when I break the deck down for the season.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
The surface area of my deck is almost 850 square feet. Composite decking would have doubled the cost of the whole thing. A helluva lot more that a "bit" more. The surface of the deck is easy. It's the railings and stairs that suck.

i want to build a deck that covers all the poured concreat on my bulkhead at the lake with the dock its going to be around 900 SQF everybody wants me to use the trex so when the kids run they won't get splinters. it is so much more expensive than wood and i like painting the deck its another reason to drink beer.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Major project to tackle soon is getting a solid foundation under one of the posts that holds up my garage that had sank down and caused the whole thing to sag.

I'll also be having one of my four chimneys lined with a heat resistant, corrosion resistant cement mixture soon to the tune of 4k. And shortly thereafter putting in a woodstove on a piece of stove board and I'll have to install some heat shields.

Also be draining my heating system within the month to install a zone valve so I can heat my living area and not the parts I'll be working on this winter.

Also in the near future I'll be building three new bulkhead doors.

Also in the near future I'll be repairing one of the overhead garage doors so it will close and installing springs on both of them since they weigh about 100 lbs each.

Oh yeah, I've got two holes in the plaster to patch (one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen).

I also have to figure out a better way to bank around the house (if you ever owned an old house, you'll know what I'm talking about).

I also have to put some insulation down above my kitchen and maybe a few more spots before winter.

I also need to figure out a way to maybe fit a storm window over my bathroom window.

Also hang new rolling blinds in the sun porch.

Scrape and paint a few sections on the garage and house.

Build a peg rack for the bedroom for clothes.

Build a clothesline outside before the ground freezes.

... I'm sure I've left something off... but that's a good starting list.

Moe Ghoul

Major project to tackle soon is getting a solid foundation under one of the posts that holds up my garage that had sank down and caused the whole thing to sag.

I'll also be having one of my four chimneys lined with a heat resistant, corrosion resistant cement mixture soon to the tune of 4k. And shortly thereafter putting in a woodstove on a piece of stove board and I'll have to install some heat shields.

Also be draining my heating system within the month to install a zone valve so I can heat my living area and not the parts I'll be working on this winter.

Also in the near future I'll be repairing one of the overhead garage doors so it will close and installing springs on both of them since they weigh about 100 lbs each.

Oh yeah, I've got two holes in the plaster to patch (one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen).

I also have to figure out a better way to bank around the house (if you ever owned an old house, you'll know what I'm talking about).

I also have to put some insulation down above my kitchen and maybe a few more spots before winter.

I also need to figure out a way to maybe fit a storm window over my bathroom window.

You musta thought you were posting in the "What home improvement projects have you blown off for the past 5 summers".

Beetlenut

Finished siding the small barn with the leftover vinyl siding from the house build. Replaced the POS kitchen sink last weekend with a used Kohler cast iron sink I picked-up for $25 dollars at this new salvage place, that I will do all my future building material shopping at. This weekend, splitting a forced hot water zone into two smaller zones. Installing a drop ceiling in one of the yet to be finished downstairs rooms. Still have to paint and install about 75 miles of molding downstairs!! Oh and then there's the three bi-fold closet doors to go in.... Come on ski season so I have a excuse to blow-off the rest of the stuff until spring!!

tree_skier

The best and easiest that I have seen is to use rigid foam insulation, for example 2 inch sheet. screw in place using deck screws with either fender or plaster washers then tape seams. In spring cut tape and unscrew, store foam and screws for next winter.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The best and easiest that I have seen is to use rigid foam insulation, for example 2 inch sheet. screw in place using deck screws with either fender or plaster washers then tape seams. In spring cut tape and unscrew, store foam and screws for next winter.

That's interesting, but I don't know if it'd work around my house. Over the years the soil has built up, more than it should have around the foundation and side of the house. I might just see if I can use hay bales this winter.

drjeff

Is that all?? Slacker! :) ;)

o3jeff

picture.php

Made the hearth and tiled it last weekend and today cut the wall and ran the vent pipe out. Just waiting for the high temp silicone to dry and will do a test burn tomorrow. Also need to pull a permit next week and have it inspected.

Should be all set for winter now.

Greg

Staff member
picture.php

Made the hearth and tiled it last weekend and today cut the wall and ran the vent pipe out. Just waiting for the high temp silicone to dry and will do a test burn tomorrow. Also need to pull a permit next week and have it inspected.

Should be all set for winter now.

That looks fantastic! :-o Nice job!