• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Home Improvement Projects this summer

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
not this summer but fall. finishing the drawings for a new cantalevered dock and the drawing for the new bar area on the porch of the lake house. i am not sure where im going to build it or have someone else do it. bar would take 5 days to build. with plumbing, electrical, and carpentry. the dock would take 3 days but i have to bring in a work boat to more around the steel i beams.

Mildcat

Well here's the kicker. When I gutted the kitchen, I had to go through 2 layers of sheet rock. I needed to cut through the plaster and lath to open up the other side of the wall. I'm still coughing up crap.

Your pics look like what I'm doing to my house. I have a small two family (one br each) that I'm making a single family. Living upstairs while I work downstairs. Opened up the wall between the kitchen and what will be the dining room and built a breakfast bar to separate the two rooms. Moved a non structural wall between the dining room and the living room to make the living room bigger.

When I ripped out the plaster and lath in the dining room it also had blown in insulation in the walls. Talk about a mess. I had to gut that room though, I don't have to and won't gut the living room. F-that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
moved in in June, painted the entire place, re-did the bathroom and that's it. Place looks great, but this will be an investment property within hopefully two years. Already looking and dreamin' about a bigger condo that will suit my and J's needs for a good ten years. The more money I sink into our current place, the longer it will be before we can get into a bigger place.

Terry

Your pics look like what I'm doing to my house. I have a small two family (one br each) that I'm making a single family. Living upstairs while I work downstairs. Opened up the wall between the kitchen and what will be the dining room and built a breakfast bar to separate the two rooms. Moved a non structural wall between the dining room and the living room to make the living room bigger.

When I ripped out the plaster and lath in the dining room it also had blown in insulation in the walls. Talk about a mess. I had to gut that room though, I don't have to and won't gut the living room. F-that.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that we had blown in insulation also. When I was hauling a load to the dump, a guy that was following me in a convertible was not happy!

Paul

If you were really in Maine, I believe below your avatar should read "Ayuh, ayuh, ayuh"... am I wrong?

They don't call it "America's Vacationland" for nuttin' I'll stick with mah faux-Texan drawl thankyewvurrymush...

Mildcat

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that we had blown in insulation also. When I was hauling a load to the dump, a guy that was following me in a convertible was not happy!

Let me guess, probably on a road where he couldn't pass too. Too funny unless you're Paul in the convertible.

ChileMass

Had my kitchen remodeled in June/July. If anyone needs a terrific builder in the Framingham/Worcester area, I can highly recommend Jim Wilson in Northboro. Came in on budget and ahead of schedule. He did my kitchen and also for 2 of my neighbors in the last couple years.

Greg

Staff member
The only other items I want to do this summer are seal the driveway and stain my deck. Haven't gotten around to either yet

I starting staining the deck. Oof. What a nightmare. The spindles on the railing are tedious since I've decided to brush it on (2 coats). The deck is three years old and the wood is sucking this stuff up like crazy. I shouldn't have waited this long. A 5 gallon pail should have completed the job, but it's already half gone and I haven't even starting on the surface of the lower larger deck yet. I hope to be done by the end of the weekend.

TheBEast

I starting staining the deck. Oof. What a nightmare. The spindles on the railing are tedious since I've decided to brush it on (2 coats). The deck is three years old and the wood is sucking this stuff up like crazy. I shouldn't have waited this long. A 5 gallon pail should have completed the job, but it's already half gone and I haven't even starting on the surface of the lower larger deck yet. I hope to be done by the end of the weekend.

There is an answer to this issue and it's called Composite Decking material. A bit more in the beginning but none of this back breaking work in the heat of summer! I just get a pressure washer and clean it down every spring! Viola!