• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"... home to Southern Vermont's most advanced terrain"

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
So goes the claim by Magic Mountain in their latest "weekend sales" FB post. Now I love Magic and ski there at least a couple times each year. Does the "most advanced terrain" hold up? The only contender I might consider would be Mt. Snow. Bromley, Stratton, even Okemo not so much. What do you think?

Puck it

So goes the claim by Magic Mountain in their latest "weekend sales" FB post. Now I love Magic and ski there at least a couple times each year. Does the "most advanced terrain" hold up? The only contender I might consider would be Mt. Snow. Bromley, Stratton, even Okemo not so much. What do you think?
You left off after January 1st.

drjeff

I can't argue with Magic's claim.

While Mount Snow does have a few trails that rival Magic's, Magic by far and away, when they have the snow, has more true advanced terrain than Mount Snow.

Now if the claim was "most advanced terrain LIKELY TO BE OPEN ON ANY GIVEN DAY OF THE SEASAON in Southern Vermont" then I'd have to put Mount Snow ahead of Magic ;) :lol:

Hawkshot99

Does the "most advanced terrain" hold up? The only contender I might consider would be Mt. Snow. Bromley, Stratton, even Okemo not so much. What do you think?

Mt Snow? Unless you are talking a bullet proof flash freeze on the North face Mt Snow could never even be considered. Bromley is smaller, but I'd consider it just as challenging as MS.

yeggous

Everything south of Rutland / RT 4 is typically considered Southern VT. K is central.

By that definition Killington is southern. Between Rt 4 and 89 you have:
Suicide Six, Middlebury, MRG, Sugarbush

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

Call it southern VT if you want want. In all my years of living 3 towns over I've never heard of us /Killington called Southern VT or NH.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Okemo > South =.Southern VT

Killington > MRV = Central VT

89 > North = Northern VT

That's the way I've always known it since moving to VT in 1990 and spending 13 years there as a resident.

slatham

Agreed Killington not Southern. Okemo is.

Mt Snow has some legitimate expert terrain. Ripcord is downright steep by any standard in VT. Jaws is a great old school expert trail - steep, narrow, double fall line, natural snow, never groomed. There are other nice pockets on the north face as well.

But Magic wins, hands down, not even close, fat lady singing, time to go home. We just need some F'ing SNOW!

So THINK SNOW!

Tin

Pitch can only get so advanced. Adding ledges, pitch, thin cover, and obsticles makes things more advanced.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
You know the snow sucks when we can make a two page thread on obvious facts.

1. Magic is steepest in Southern Vt.

2. Mount Snow is the steepest resort south of Killington.

3. Unless you're dividing Vermont into halves, Killington is Central.

Anyone who argues with these points is trolling, and believes that the Earth is flat.