• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Homewood going (semi?) private

Edd

It seems like they're unclear on what they want to do. It's a bummer they're struggling to make $. One of my favorite places I've ever skied.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It seems like they're unclear on what they want to do. It's a bummer they're struggling to make $. One of my favorite places I've ever skied.

I agree. Although they have been on hold for quite some time. I don't think they have changed anything since my visit in 2010. They need to replace the slow triples that are slow and very old.

jaytrem

I agree. Although they have been on hold for quite some time. I don't think they have changed anything since my visit in 2010. They need to replace the slow triples that are slow and very old.
I think they recently did some upgrades to one of the triples, but yeah, not much else. I guess Madden is done with the new gondola going in. Sucks that it going private, but sounds like the other option might be closing it. Been there a few times, nice quiet place. Guess too quiet. My last time there we arrived a bit late on a powder day due to having to get our marriage license first thing in the morning. Was still plenty of untracked all day, so can't complain.

urungus

Hope they can make it work, but personally I would be leery about investing in a lifetime membership to a place that is struggling financially. Remember what happened to Killingtons “lifetime” pass holders.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think they recently did some upgrades to one of the triples, but yeah, not much else. I guess Madden is done with the new gondola going in. Sucks that it going private, but sounds like the other option might be closing it. Been there a few times, nice quiet place. Guess too quiet. My last time there we arrived a bit late on a powder day due to having to get our marriage license first thing in the morning. Was still plenty of untracked all day, so can't complain.
Madden was the one I was thinking of in particular. But the other one that starts at the base (lower base) is pretty slow and tired.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hope they can make it work, but personally I would be leery about investing in a lifetime membership to a place that is struggling financially. Remember what happened to Killingtons “lifetime” pass holders.
That was completely different. Killington was a benefit or "sweetener" offered to potential investors by SKI. This is an ownership/membership interest in the mountain itself.

snoseek

There were a couple lean years I remember out the where they never got past the bunny slope.

When it's on the place has some of the best tree skiing on the planet.

urungus

That was completely different. Killington was a benefit or "sweetener" offered to potential investors by SKI. This is an ownership/membership interest in the mountain itself.
How will they afford to staff the and maintain the place after they burn through the money from the initial round of lifetime memberships ?

4aprice

I believe Hidden Valley in NJ was once considered "semi" private. In that case it was open to the public during the week and private and limited on the weekends (think nights on the weekend were open to public as well). Will be an interesting thing to watch and see. Long live these smaller areas that can be quite entertaining if vertical's not your most important thing.

FBGM

For the past few months they have been pushing an ad for a director of Ops. Guessing no one’s filled it yet as the add says new and fresh

thetrailboss

Staff member
For the past few months they have been pushing an ad for a director of Ops. Guessing no one’s filled it yet as the add says new and fresh
Homewood's former GM is now at Powder Mountain....if that says anything.

2planks2coasts

Great mountain. Unfortunate they're pursuing this model. I'd wager it fails within 5 years. They'd be better off joining Indy or even one of the bigger passes.