• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How Far Would You Go On a Day Trip?

dlague

If you ever drove the notch in summer you'd know why it's closed in winter. Same thing with Lincoln Gap near Sugarbush.

Rochester Gap should be closed too - drove over that with freezing rain and it was not pretty!

VTKilarney

Rochester Gap should be closed too - drove over that with freezing rain and it was not pretty!

I've made the mistake of thinking that taking Rochester Gap would save me some time. It didn't.

dlague

I've made the mistake of thinking that taking Rochester Gap would save me some time. It didn't.

Same here is is pretty steep in spots and when slippery makes things interesting a slow.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've done MRG and that's 4 hours each way. At that point, your spending as much time in the car as you are skiing for a particular day.

It's really exhausting by the time you get back. The 2.5 hour drives are so much better, and < 2 hours is ideal.

Tin

Being from RI anything under 3 hours is easy to do. MRG, Bush, and Stowe are about 4-4.5 and my limit. Having a Bush/MRG pass this year I'm sure I will get used to it. My GF's limit appears to be Magic which is about 2:45, I can live with that. Just need to make the passenger seat comfortable for her to sleep in and slip her a sleeping pill in her morning smoothie.

WWF-VT

Being from RI anything under 3 hours is easy to do. MRG, Bush, and Stowe are about 4-4.5 and my limit. Having a Bush/MRG pass this year I'm sure I will get used to it. My GF's limit appears to be Magic which is about 2:45, I can live with that. Just need to make the passenger seat comfortable for her to sleep in and slip her a sleeping pill in her morning smoothie.

Are you going to drive all the time or looking into lodging/house share options for the season? 8+ hours in the car is a long time.

Savemeasammy

Here's an idea: move. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madroch

Was packing up for a sugarloaf day and a half tripper before that huge dec? storm a couple years ago?! Planning to leave after work- drive the 6 plus into the overnight, ski and return. Wife pulled the plug....

Tin

Are you going to drive all the time or looking into lodging/house share options for the season? 8+ hours in the car is a long time.

I will day trip it if there is a storm or the GF can't make it up during the week. Would like to find some people for the midweek trips, MadMad and Sammy only have so much sick time. When we head up we will try to find a cheap place or maybe a house share if something worthwhile pops up. Last year was amazing for lodging deals. We were staying in $150-225 a night rooms for $60-90.

Smellytele

I will day trip it if there is a storm or the GF can't make it up during the week. Would like to find some people for the midweek trips, MadMad and Sammy only have so much sick time. When we head up we will try to find a cheap place or maybe a house share if something worthwhile pops up. Last year was amazing for lodging deals. We were staying in $150-225 a night rooms for $60-90.

Or was it more like they were advertising a $60-90 room for $150-225 then discount it back down to $60-90

mikestaple

3. That just gets me to Loon or Cannon. Ragged is just 2:30 and Gunstock is 2:10. Longer than 3 starts to throttle down the driving to enjoyment ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

BackLoafRiver

I'll throw my hat in the 3.5 - 4 hour range. Cannon is about 3 hours and I can do that pretty comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile a

WWF-VT

Hostel Tevere or The Golden Lion are your most cost effective options in the MRV