• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How NOT to get to the slopes.

bvibert

Staff member

I have to think this is somewhere that doesn't get a whole lot of snow, but it does look pretty slick none the less....

mondeo

That's gotta be all ice. Cars just don't move like that if it's only snow. Notice how few tracks actually get left.

Dr Skimeister

I experienced something like that some years ago. I was driving through Birmingham, Alabama, when a freak snow/ice storm struck. The interstate (I-65?) is an elevated roadway there so the road surface was frozen solid. The locals obviously had little experience driving in those conditions. Cars doing donuts all over the place. Lots of cars just parked in the travel lanes, people walking (and slipping and falling) right along on the interstate. I just puttered along in my '71 Super Beetle. :)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
We hit an ice storm (in a transition zone) on I-93 going skiing, saw 12 SUVs go into the ditch within 60 seconds. We slowly got off at the nearest exit (figuring staying on the road with these bozos was suicide), found a nice restaurant and sat there for an hour and stuffed ourselves. When we went back out, the roads which had been salted and sanded by then and we got to our destination safely.

I'd rather be slippin and sliding on the slopes. :beer: