• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How wide is too wide?

rocks860

I'm thinking of picking up so new skis and using my current ones as my crappy conditions skis. My current skis are 181s and are 100mm wide and I love em. They don't have any rocker. The ones I'm looking at do have rocker and come in a 181 (110 wide) or 191 (120 wide). I was considering the longer ones because of the rocker but is 120 too wide for east coast skiing? At the beginning of the month we had a minor powder day up at sugarbush and this past week I skiied some deeper stuff at okemo and the 100's skied great but I almost wanted something a little wider. Any thoughts?

rocks860

I would love to ski out west but I don't see it in the immediate future. I ski pretty much everything but prefer woods/ungroomed to groomers.
These are what I'm skiing now
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423255201.146792.jpg
And these are what I'm looking at
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423255236.600229.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
That is a very fat ski for east coast. But if you're used to skiing fat skis in east coast conditions than it may not be a big deal. Is this going to be your daily driver?

rocks860

Indeed, it is in fact called the daily haha. I mean I don't think the 110 would be bad at all, I think I demoed some libertys that were that size and they skied just fine. I'm just concerned about the 120 on the 191. I think It would make sense to go with that length based on the rocker though

rocks860

I'd like to stick with surface for a couple reasons. I love the skis I have now and ended up getting them for $150 because they were going to sell me a demo pair but someone accidentally sold that pair so they gave me a brand new pair for the same price. I just realized that the guy I was dealing with is actually the president of the company, great guy. Secondly, I can get this pair for 40% off so they would be about $375

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think that it will come down to personal preference. If you can demo it, do it. That's what I'd say. But it sounds like you're pretty comfortable on a 100 mm waist ski. A 120 mm is not THAT much of a difference...relatively speaking. The 191 cm length is a long ski and will be better for going fast...real fast. Based on my experience, I think a 181 standard camber ski would be similar to a 191 cm rockered ski in terms of edge contact, but I might be off there.

rocks860

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I just don't want it to feel too short. Unfortunately I don't know that any place out here even carries their skis let alone demos them

moresnow

I think that it will come down to personal preference. If you can demo it, do it. That's what I'd say. But it sounds like you're pretty comfortable on a 100 mm waist ski. A 120 mm is not THAT much of a difference...relatively speaking. The 191 cm length is a long ski and will be better for going fast...real fast. Based on my experience, I think a 181 standard camber ski would be similar to a 191 cm rockered ski in terms of edge contact, but I might be off there.

Don't get caught up in the numbers. They don't tell the whole story. The stiffness of the ski is important as well. A 190 that is a 2x4 is probably going to be too much ski for around here. If it's a noodle it won't be good for anything but a pure blower kind of day. Personally I think something with softer tips and tails with a stiffer portion underfoot would be the way to go.

jrmagic

Agreed. With all the multi dimensional radius etc that many of the newer skis have, width on its own isn't a detriment on the east coast. I'm on 188 moment rubies that are 110 under foot just about every day. On a boilerplate day you might have to skid a bit but I really couldn't give a rats as if I'm holding perfect form. I just want to have fun and 9 1/2 times out of 10 I find that to be true.

moresnow

It's tough to know from that website. They have it listed as a medium flex, but it gives you no idea how it'll actually feel underfoot. You'd have to get your hands on a pair.

A surface demo is going to be a tough thing to come by, so I'd scour the Web for reviews. It should give you a rough idea if it'll be the type of ski your looking for. It's how I ended up on my Icelantic Keepers. They are a fun ski.

Good luck! And if you get a good enough deal, I'm sure they'll be fine.

jrmagic

Love the look of moments but I've never skiied them

I've skied a few models and really like how versitile they are plus the bases are bomber which is really good given how hard i am on my skis. I know a few guys who rock 100+ surface skis as their daily driver and they love them.

rocks860

I've skied a few models and really like how versitile they are plus the bases are bomber which is really good given how hard i am on my skis. I know a few guys who rock 100+ surface skis as their daily driver and they love them.

Nice, I love the ones I have now, especially for the deal I got on them. We'll see how my tax return looks. The guy who's the founder of surface hooked me up with those. They don't have any demos of the daily they're selling but he gave me a promo code for 40% off

thetrailboss

Staff member
Don't get caught up in the numbers. They don't tell the whole story. The stiffness of the ski is important as well. A 190 that is a 2x4 is probably going to be too much ski for around here. If it's a noodle it won't be good for anything but a pure blower kind of day. Personally I think something with softer tips and tails with a stiffer portion underfoot would be the way to go.

I agree that stiffness is a huge concern but the op asked only about width. I'd be hesitant skiing a ski this fat and long as my daily driver at Sugarbush but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

moresnow

I agree that stiffness is a huge concern but the op asked only about width. I'd be hesitant skiing a ski this fat and long as my daily driver at Sugarbush but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

That's kind of my point. Width is almost meaningless without knowing how the rest of the ski is built.