• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mountain Learning Center

Phildozer

Anyone been to Hunter Mountain's new Learning Center?

I have a friend looking to introduce his kids to skiing and wants to go somewhere that's easy to get them set up with skis and such. Hunter's the closest mountain for him but will travel if necessary.

Thanks.

JimG.

Staff member
I've been a Hunter regular for decades...I've been a coach/instructor there for almost as long. The learning center is great; it has certainly made getting lessons and equipment rentals easier than in the past.

Some folks are going to tell you how obnoxious Hunter is and how crowded it is. Don't believe them, it's just like any other hill. Some will tell you they've had bad instructors; that can happen anywhere. PSIA has been running an ongoing research project at Hunter for several years to plan the future direction of beginner programs at ALL mountains in the northeast. Hunter simply has some of the best beginner terrain anywhere and PSIA has recognized that fact.

When is your friend planning on going?

JimG.

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:
Dang JimmyG, gettin kind of defensive arn't ya?

You got that right; I stand up tall for my hill!

Just pre-empting all of the remarks by folks who've been there once and had a bad experience from discouraging this prospect.

JimG.

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:
Good for you, but it sucks that you have to feel that way even before anyone makes a comment.

Well, unfortunately Hunter earned that reputation from days past. Alot has changed for the better, but one bad experience can often be hard to overcome.

But we keep trying anyway...Rome wasn't built in a day.

Son of Drifter

I used to be a regular at Hunta (15+ years at least) and it is a packed mountain every single weekend. But the mountain was very good to me and HPD. I never very ran into the arrogant New Yorker you always hear about but the slopes on the weekends are more packed than the L.I.E. Still they have good terrain and I still consider them the snow making capital of the world. Do they still use that as a marketing campaign?

JimG.

Staff member
Son of Drifter said:
I used to be a regular at Hunta (15+ years at least) and it is a packed mountain every single weekend. But the mountain was very good to me and HPD. I never very ran into the arrogant New Yorker you always hear about but the slopes on the weekends are more packed than the L.I.E. Still they have good terrain and I still consider them the snow making capital of the world. Do they still use that as a marketing campaign?

Yes they do.

The myth about crowds continues too. You guys ought to try to come down for a day with dmc and me, preferably on a weekend. Like any other mountain, Hunter has it's rhythms regarding crowds. If you know where to go and when, you'll never wait more than 5-10 minutes and the inbounds stuff is not at all crowded. But if you're going to try and run laps on the HSQ and ski the few intermediate runs from the summit like Belt Parkway all day, good luck.

JimG., debunking Hunter myths one skier at a time.

dmc

I've taken my family(ages 4 through 15) through the learning center on a number of occasions for rentals AND lessons and everytime it went seamlessly - even on a holiday weekend...

catskills

I think Belleaye, Hunter, and Windham all have excellent PSIA instructors for newbies. The ski industry realizes that the first day on the hill is the most important. The ski industry track record for newbies returning for a 2nd day of skiing or riding is only 20 percent and all resorts are making a considerable effort to improve that number.

Most important for any newbie skier or rider is to pick the most optimal day. A newbie's first day do's and don'ts:
  • Plan to take a lesson in the morning the first thing. In NY state ask about SKI 123 program.
  • The day before, call the mountain's ski instructor desk to ask for projected weather conditions, NY SKI 123, and schedule a morning class.
  • Pick a comfortable enjoyable day with the temp above 20F degrees and NOT windy.
  • Very important, plan it out get your gear out the day before and leave early to get to the mountain by 8:00am, when the ski rental lines and lift ticket lines are short.
  • It should take a Newbie about 60 minutes to rent their skis, get their ski pass, get dressed, and walk outside to be ready for their first leason. With more experience on the 2nd day it should only take 30 minutes. An experienced skier/rider without rentals can be ready in less than 10 minutes.
  • MOST IMPORTANT: If at all possible AVOID going your fist day on a crowded big holiday weekend like Dec 31 or MLK weekend. You don't want to spend most of the first day waiting in lines or worse standing in the wrong line.

Greg

Staff member
JimG. said:
The myth about crowds continues too. You guys ought to try to come down for a day with dmc and me, preferably on a weekend. Like any other mountain, Hunter has it's rhythms regarding crowds. If you know where to go and when, you'll never wait more than 5-10 minutes and the inbounds stuff is not at all crowded. But if you're going to try and run laps on the HSQ and ski the few intermediate runs from the summit like Belt Parkway all day, good luck.

I will say that during my visit on 12/30/04 with JimG., (during Christmas week, mind you) that we skied a lot. Sure, it was busy but not any more so than any other popular ski area during Christmas week...

catskills

Greg said:
JimG. said:
I will say that during my visit on 12/30/04 with JimG., (during Christmas week, mind you) that we skied a lot. Sure, it was busy but not any more so than any other popular ski area during Christmas week...
JimG I remember one year, I believe, Jan 1 landed on a Friday and it snowed all day Friday. Saturday Jan 2 was a blue clear day. On Jan 2, Hunter and Windham filled up their parking lots and had to turn customers away. The ones turned away went to Belleayre. By noon Belleayre had filled their parking lots including the cross country parking lot below. It was a crazy day where it seemed like every skier/rider in NY City and Long Island decided to show up all on the same day. Granted this was a very unusual day. This is NOT the kind of day you want to try your first day of skiing or riding.

JimG.

Staff member
catskills said:
Greg said:
JimG. said:
JimG I remember one year, I believe, Jan 1 landed on a Friday and it snowed all day Friday. Saturday Jan 2 was a blue clear day. On Jan 2, Hunter and Windham filled up their parking lots and had to turn customers away. The ones turned away went to Belleayre. By noon Belleayre had filled their parking lots including the cross country parking lot below. It was a crazy day where it seemed like every skier/rider in NY City and Long Island decided to show up all on the same day. Granted this was a very unusual day. This is NOT the kind of day you want to try your first day of skiing or riding.

I believe that was New Year's 2001; it dumped about 2' that Friday and yes, Saturday was a madhouse (for good reason). I think Hunter RAN OUT of rentals by 10am that morning.

Your point about choosing a mellow, non-holiday period to start a beginner off is very good advice.

Son of Drifter

JimG. said:
Son of Drifter said:

Yes they do.

I know how to move around Hunta. Take the triple from the bottom to the triple in the woods if you're doing top to bottom skiing. Lunch at 11ish to beat the crowds and over to Hunter West the remainder of the day. As far as intermediate runs go I only ski them to get to the steeper pitches. K27 and Racers Edge were my favorite back in the day.

JimG.

Staff member
Son of Drifter said:
I know how to move around Hunta. Take the triple from the bottom to the triple in the woods if you're doing top to bottom skiing. Lunch at 11ish to beat the crowds and over to Hunter West the remainder of the day. As far as intermediate runs go I only ski them to get to the steeper pitches. K27 and Racers Edge were my favorite back in the day.

You are wise SOD...it is clear you know Hunter well. I usually hit the West Side at around 10:30-11:00 and ski there til 1:00pm and then get lunch. West doesn't get too much traffic before 1pm, and by then everyone has cleared out of the lunch area which is a zoo between 11:00 and 1:00.

highpeaksdrifter

JimG. said:
Son of Drifter said:

You are wise SOD...it is clear you know Hunter well. I usually hit the West Side at around 10:30-11:00 and ski there til 1:00pm and then get lunch. West doesn't get too much traffic before 1pm, and by then everyone has cleared out of the lunch area which is a zoo between 11:00 and 1:00.

Crossover was my favorite on the east side when it was nice and bumped up. 44 on the West side, but when we where there it wasn't open much. It was a real treat when it was.