• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Irene

Geoff

297292_668054586276_18505811_35328646_2820552_n.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooo!

AMBR

My brother, his wife and their FIVE kids were vacationing at the Wiffletree condos at Killington. They were evacuated to another hotel nearby, but they are now trapped on the island that used to be Route 4. The road is collapsed in both directions and so is 100. They have no idea how or when they will get out and they are running out of food. I hope the authorities can come up with a plan to get people out. Very worried.

deadheadskier

Staff member
From what I've read, construction will start immediately on a temporary road on route 4 East in Mendon. This will mainly be used for emergency vehicles, but I'd imagine they'll try and get vacationers out of there as soon as possible.

polski

Website
twitter.com
Meanwhile, Whaleback had flooding throughout the base area up to the where the lift loads. You may need to be on Facebook to see the pics.

bvibert

Staff member
From what I've read, construction will start immediately on a temporary road on route 4 East in Mendon. This will mainly be used for emergency vehicles, but I'd imagine they'll try and get vacationers out of there as soon as possible.

Even if they don't use it for evacuation they'll be able to bring some food in at least. From what I saw they expect the temporary road to be very temporary and probably won't want a ton of people traveling on it.

roark

I just discovered some terrible news via Facebook. Seth, who raced with us at Pats was visiting home (he moved to CA) and was hit by a tree. According to friends on FB he is being taken off the ventilator tonight. I'm floored.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I just discovered some terrible news via Facebook. Seth, who raced with us at Pats was visiting home (he moved to CA) and was hit by a tree. According to friends on FB he is being taken off the ventilator tonight. I'm floored.

Real sorry to hear that. So much of life ahead. Bummer. Was this Irene-related?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Holy crap! Good luck to him... seems like such an unlucky place to be.. and so unlikely to happen :(

deadheadskier

Staff member

I'm assuming you mean letting him pass on?

so terrible :(

deadheadskier

Staff member

so sorry Roark.

When you say he raced with you all at Pat's, do you mean part of the AZ race team? If so, was he a forum member or just a friend you met while in the league?

Peace to you, Seth's family and all of his friends who are grieving right now by Seth's life being tragically cut short. :(

roark

so sorry Roark.

When you say he raced with you all at Pat's, do you mean part of the AZ race team? If so, was he a forum member or just a friend you met while in the league?

Peace to you, Seth's family and all of his friends who are grieving right now by Seth's life being tragically cut short. :(

Yes, he was a solo racer assigned to the AZ race team. I don't think in any interest in the forums. We really lucked out: he was a ripping skier and helped carry the team on some beatered old floppy solomons. He got a new job out in the bay area in CA and skied Tahoe the last couple years. We'd been chatting about meeting up out there this winter. I clicked on a picture he was tagged in on FB and the comments got my attention.

I don't have the details but seems like a bizarre, random tragedy. I can't help but think of the idiots I was seeing on TV dancing around the Carolinas and Jersey in the midst of the storm not realizing how lucky they are.