• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Irene

Glenn

The Reformer has some pics up today. It looks like the Williamsville covered bridge is OK. Rt 30 just north of Maple Valley is shut due to the bridge over the Rock River being damaged. They're routing people through Newfane. There are some serious road washouts in Williamsville. Rt 9 from Brat Willmington is closed...and they don't know when it'll reopen.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Just wanted to pop in with an update (now that internet is restored). The NEK got a lot of rain but we were an inch or so short of seeing the massive destruction that occurred just south of here. Lyndonville was flooded pretty bad creating lots of detours, a couple of house were undermind, and a couple of rural bridges taken out. However, almost all roads (except the ones with missing bridges) were reopened by noon Monday. The Village Sports Shop in Lyndonville (which had just been renovated) had water in it.
The water levels were similar to the flooding from the severe thunderstorms (complete with tornado warning)we had back in May. I think the troublespots stuff that were destroyed and then freshly repaired after that flood actually helped resist some of the erosive power of this latest flood.

WJenness

Just wanted to pop in with an update (now that internet is restored). The NEK got a lot of rain but we were an inch or so short of seeing the massive destruction that occurred just south of here. Lyndonville was flooded pretty bad creating lots of detours, a couple of house were undermind, and a couple of rural bridges taken out. However, almost all roads (except the ones with missing bridges) were reopened by noon Monday. The Village Sports Shop in Lyndonville (which had just been renovated) had water in it.
The water levels were similar to the flooding from the severe thunderstorms (complete with tornado warning)we had back in May. I think the troublespots stuff that were destroyed and then freshly repaired after that flood actually helped resist some of the erosive power of this latest flood.

Thanks for the update Tim... I was wondering and worried about you guys up that way.

-w

Zand

After seeing the pics of southern VT and then hearing that Lyndonville was evacuated Sunday night, I feared the worst. I was glad to see upon arriving yesterday that this area really lucked out for the most part. Other than a couple houses up on Millers Run, it appears everything else was no worse than the normal spring flood that puts route 5 underwater every year. Saw the redemption center getting shop-vac'd on my way in but otherwise everything looked normal. Route 5 in St. J was covered in dirt between St. J center and the bank. Didn't go past Pizza Hut but saw on VT 511 that the road was 100% open down through downtown so must be ok there too.

On the way up I stopped on the Rt 10 bridge in Northfield, MA over the CT river. Saw propane tanks, logs, road signs, pumpkins, doors, and all sorts of stuff floating down out of Brattleboro. The whole bridge was lined with people. Very eerie feeling standing there knowing what was going on upriver.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Glenn,

How far up did the stream in your backyard rush?

I was thinking about the proximity of your new chair to the stream. Hope nothing happened to it.

WJenness

I just saw this on Twitter...

Haven't researched for authenticity yet, but I will and text if appropriate:
2 help VT txt FOODNOW to 52000 @VermontFoodbank- $10 donation=$60 of food! #vt #Irene

-w

drjeff

I just saw this on Twitter...

Haven't researched for authenticity yet, but I will and text if appropriate:
2 help VT txt FOODNOW to 52000 @VermontFoodbank- $10 donation=$60 of food! #vt #Irene

-w

It's legit. I made a donation this morning

WJenness

I've done that one and now the Redcross as well (text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to American Red Cross Disaster Relief)

Is there any volunteer labor that would be needed (thinking I could put a good day or two in this weekend to help)? Any where to look?

-w

Glenn

Glenn,

How far up did the stream in your backyard rush?

I was thinking about the proximity of your new chair to the stream. Hope nothing happened to it.

From what I gather, pretty high. Our neighbor took some pics and will share them when we head up. I'm anxious to see how high the water went. Apparently, a small log clogged the culvert on her property and caused a bit of a backup. But from what she said, everything up there is OK. That's all we can ask for given what happend to the West and South of us.

drjeff

I've done that one and now the Redcross as well (text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to American Red Cross Disaster Relief)

Is there any volunteer labor that would be needed (thinking I could put a good day or two in this weekend to help)? Any where to look?

-w

It's tough to say about this weekend and putting in some sweat labor. In many places, the main focus still will be on regaining access, and trying to get additional, non locals in, may actually cause more problems than help. Personally I'm on the fence about going up this weekend. I know my place is fine, and I've offered help to my friends up there, and more than 1 has advised me explicitly NOT to come up this weekend. Right now is more about the BIG stuff in much of VT (infastructure), in the coming weeks is when the smaller stuff (individual property clean up/fix up) will be occurring when the extra hands will likely be more beneficial. Think of it this way, there are many towns in VT where the last thing they need right now is MORE people using their sewage system(if its even still operational)

Cannonball

Finally got power back today at my house and most parts of the South Shore (MA). Although still a lot of folks without power. We fared pretty well. But most of that was due to preparation. In Duxbury Bay where my gear is most people planned ahead and hauled out. The town and the waterfront businesses did an incredible job of orchestrating a massive effort. I'd say ~400 boats, floats, and docks were hauled out Thurs-Sat. Only ~20 remained in the water and least 2 of those went down (stupid).

Trees are down everywhere. But again, everyone was ready. Pretty much everyone I know has a chainsaw in the back of the truck. Roads were made passable by a combination of well organized town workers and hard-working, seriously prepared residents. My ancient generator was enough to keep the fridges going for me and my neighbors. A buddy hauled in a big tuna Saturday morning and gave me a cooler full. I hauled in my lobster traps Sat and had a tote full. Gardens were flattened, so barely ripe cukes, tomatoes, and peppers needed to come out. It was way too much to store so everyone spread around what we had. Grills were going everywhere and it felt more like a block-party than a disaster.

I still don't have all the gear back in the water since there have been some bottlenecks with the power outages. But everyone has been in a good mood and helping everyone that is in front of them with an immediate need. I spent more time today moving other people's gear than my own...and I know they'll be there tomorrow when my stuff needs to go in. One of the best examples was a Mike Sousa who owns Sousa Seafood in Boston. He came down to Marshfield yesterday with 15,000 lbs of ice and gave it away for free. The scene in the parking lot of the middle school where he brought his truck was WAY more 'neighborly sharing' than 'charity'.

This thing was a pain the a$$ but it brought out the best in everyone. I hope those suffering in VT and elsewhere are at least getting the same type of priceless community support that brings you through these crises.