• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

i got bored and booked a 2 week ski trip

Smellytele

Just read an article on housing in Sun Valley…

jaytrem

I enjoyed Sun Valley. Lots of bumps, so that helped. Not much trees at the time, but the new expansion has added a bunch. One interesting thing is the green trails are just about as steep as the blacks. The place is mostly old people skiing fast. Be sure to check out the salad bar at the gondola base. Had lots of meats including salmon for a very reasonable price. Hopefully it's still there.

abc

Not sure you can have a pocket knife going on a flight in the US
Yes you can.

Up to a certain blade size. Mine was legal in the US.

But China doesn't allow any, regardless of size. Besides, I just overlooked the fact I was having a stopover in a Chinese airport (on my way to Japan). So got caught unexpectedly.

Smellytele

Yes you can.

Up to a certain blade size. Mine was legal in the US.

But China doesn't allow any, regardless of size. Besides, I just overlooked the fact I was having a stopover in a Chinese airport (on my way to Japan). So got caught unexpectedly.
no more than 2.36 inches in length, 0.5 inches in width, with no blade lock and devoid of a molded handle.

that is a tooth pick

Tonyr

I'm surprised you are hitting Sun Valley. it would be the last mountain I would ever think you'd be interested in based on your posting history.

thanks for reminder to book though. i got my week at JH reserved
I'm actually surprised that your both going to Jackson Hole this season seeing that the owner of that mountain is a huge Trump supporter.....

NYDB

I'm actually surprised that your both going to Jackson Hole this season seeing that the owner of that mountain is a huge Trump supporter.....
most business owners are. I work with hundreds of medium and small businesses and I would guess it’s about a 90/10 split as far as the owners politics go. it’s probably even higher as the businesses get larger.

snoseek

With a little warm water your ski pole grip pops right off and gives you a real nice place to carry stuff.
Sounds like a great safari

ctdubl07

did you pull the trigger? i think prices are going to go down. not just because hopper and kayak said so. i don't think the airlines are necessarily fully scheduled that far in advance, and i think fuel cost is trending in the right direction. new flights will appear over time. i am anticipating a $500-$600 cost for direct flights to salt lake (currently $800-$1100). i am not fucking with connecting flights this year, the airlines are too in disarray. maybe a connecting flight coming home if it makes a big price difference. def not for going there.
Yes, booked.
I tend to agree that there is the possibility that flight pricing will drop as a few normalization factors come on line into 2023.
That being said, I need to get from BDL to Reno (avoiding ORD/PHL at any cost during winter) so I do want to lock in seats now. If flights do drop, I'll just rebook and take credits for each family member....we fly enough during year that I'll easily use them.

That all being said, in addition to getting drunk on early pandemic rock bottom flights, was the industrys wholesale move to no change fees (at least mainline carriers)....who knows if that will continue.

2Planker

friday feb 17 - weds march 1

fly into SLC.
rented a turo (2016 subaru legacy with snow tires) - $850
drive to jackson, ski 4-5 days, room at motel feb 18-22 - $395 option or $800 option
drive to sun valley, ski 3-4 days, room at motel feb 22-25 - $400
drive to ogden, ski 1-2 days each at powmow and Snowbasin, room at motel feb 25-mar 1 - $495
fly home from SLC

11 ski days, 3 states = $2140 + flight (~$550) = ~$2700

all skiing is ikon or indy, and i got the full ikon specifically to accommodate these destinations

the only way to stay in the cheapest places that let you reserve now pay later, and also have free cancellation, is to book it at the height of summer.

hopper and kayak both said to wait on flight. and flight is the only thing i need to commit to when i do choose to buy it.

no money down for anything except the turo, but I'll be happy to have that paid come february

View attachment 54663
For $2,700 we'll be skiing the Alps, 3 countries, and staying in Chamonix.

KustyTheKlown

For $2,700 we'll be skiing the Alps, 3 countries, and staying in Chamonix.

not a dick measuring contest, and the dollar is great vs the euro right now, but how long is that trip? for 11 ski days and 12 nights of lodging, i think i'm crushing the costs here. can you do europe for 11 skiing days for $2700pp? including all transport and lodging. skiing is on passes so is essentially free, but it comes out to about $20/day for my pass usage, so +$220 for skiing

abc

not a dick measuring contest, and the dollar is great vs the euro right now, but how long is that trip? for 11 ski days and 12 nights of lodging, i think i'm crushing the costs here. can you do europe for 11 skiing days for $2700pp? including all transport and lodging. skiing is on passes so is essentially free, but it comes out to about $20/day for my pass usage, so +$220 for skiing
While we wait for 2Planker to come back with the details, I'll speculate a bit.

Your cost is good but nowhere near unbeatable. In fact, it's easy to beat. Why? Because you move around so much. So you spend time on the road, little lodging discount with short stays. Worst of all, you're traveling solo. So you're eating all the rental car cost by yourself, the room by yourself...

All my trips going to Europe, I never rented a car. It's always bus/train to resort, settle down in one hotel, with breakfast and dinner included. Though it looks like 2Planker is splitting a car with others. Maybe even splitting a room too.

KustyTheKlown

i stay in motels. they are $100-$150 a night or so no matter where they are. there is no bulk discount.

even if i went to one place for two weeks i would rent a car. i hate relying on shuttles etc.

for a person traveling and lodging alone, $2700 is excellent for a 12 day trip

settling down in one place and eating in the same dining room for 2 weeks sounds miserably boring.

jaytrem

settling down in one place and eating in the same dining room for 2 weeks sounds miserably boring.
Start playing the credit card game and you can cut that in half! :) Yeah, I know you don't want to.

I too prefer moving around, I enjoy the drives. Skiing 2 days at the same place is a lot for me. Though I did 7 or 8 in a row at Whistler last year. Kids' spring break was so late, doing a safari wasn't an option.

thebigo

i stay in motels. they are $100-$150 a night or so no matter where they are. there is no bulk discount.

even if i went to one place for two weeks i would rent a car. i hate relying on shuttles etc.

Serious question, because you are living the trips I am planning in ten years. Have you looked into a cold weather RV?

Would love to do a three month trip out of an RV once the kids are in college. Just me and the dog, work early AM and late night, ski midday.

KustyTheKlown

I’ve looked at teardrop campers, but they aren’t cheap and realistically I’d rather pay for a cheap bed and shower in a motel. Also impossible to park in my current lifestyle. Could see a proper Rv maybe one day if I have a driveway to stow it in.

snoseek

Just read an article on housing in Sun Valley…
This topic deserves its own thread if one doesn't already exist. Its a problem in a ton of resort areas, including back east. Workers are getting priced out and the work force is taking a huge hit. Anyone that does this sorta work, can figure out reasonable housing, and are willing to hustle some gnarly hours can clean up in a town like truckee or Sun Valley ect...

snoseek

I’ve looked at teardrop campers, but they aren’t cheap and realistically I’d rather pay for a cheap bed and shower in a motel. Also impossible to park in my current lifestyle. Could see a proper Rv maybe one day if I have a driveway to stow it in.
I stayed a bunch of nights at the Rodeway Inn in gunnison last year for like 60 bucks a night. I'm too tired to give a fuck about being somewhere nice. Dinner at the safeway, shower and pass out. Traveling alone is awesome!

cdskier

I'm guess I'm different than a lot of you...if it is more than 2-3 nights, I need a nicer place to stay. I can't stand being in a hotel/motel room longer than that. I'm not a big traveler to begin with, but the one "big" trip I've done the last couple years (nothing to do with skiing) is a week in the fall in the Finger Lakes (Saturday to the following Sunday). Even when I'm by myself I get a nice AirBnB with a kitchen and room to spread out. I'll typically only use the kitchen for breakfast (too many good restaurants in the area for dinner), but even just using the kitchen for that is worth it to me. The AirBnB I have this year is $215/night (same one I had last year). Sleeps up to 6 I think so the per person price works out to be cheaper than motels if you have more people (I'll likely be by myself half the trip and then have a couple other people join me the 2nd part of my trip).