• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Injury Roster 2012 / 2013 Ski Season

planb420

As of the beginning of this week I can add to my growing list a Partially torn rotator cuff in both shoulders...REALLY BOTH???!!!!??? Doc says surgery is the necessary course of action...my response to this "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, I don't f**ckin think so". Maybe i'll do it in the spring/summer but then thats gonna eat into my downhill longboard season...decisions decisions. I defiantly WONT be having surgery this season you can bank on that (unless an arm completely falls off).

jrmagic

Had a collision with a friend of mine when a young child unexpectedly skied in front of him perpendicular to the trail after having been stopped. We hit HARD and I slid off the side of Wand and started rolling on Trudy's Run. Been hurting worse each day so finally went to doctor today and was told I broke three ribs so Im done for the year.

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Had a collision with a friend of mine when a young child unexpectedly skied in front of him perpendicular to the trail after having been stopped. We hit HARD and I slid off the side of Wand and started rolling on Trudy's Run. Been hurting worse each day so finally went to doctor today and was told I broke three of em so Im done for the year.

Oooo man JR , sorry. Young dude , but. Ur strong and will heal well, all the best .

Just take care , rest of the season aint no thing , getting better and well is way more important . you got MANY more yrs. young gun ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Had a collision with a friend of mine when a young child unexpectedly skied in front of him perpendicular to the trail after having been stopped. We hit HARD and I slid off the side of Wand and started rolling on Trudy's Run. Been hurting worse each day so finally went to doctor today and was told I broke three of em so Im done for the year.

broke 3 ribs I'm assuming?

That's a real bummer. Here's to swift healing and you beating the odds and getting back out there!

ChicoKat

I have missed most of the last 3 seasons. Here goes:
11/2009 pinched nerve in neck mtb injury ski season lost
6/2010 torn mcl/meniscus right knee hockey no effect on skiing
10/2010 left shoulder surgery labrum old injury reinjured surfing. A few late season trips.
11/2011 right shoulder surgery labrum/Rotar cuff general abuse. A few late season trips. One that did not end well...next injury!
2/2012 grade 2 sprains ligaments left ankle. At least I did this skiing thru crud last yer at jay.

This year feeling great ready to go. Wife has an MRI in mid december revealing stress fracture l4. We had to cancel last week at jay.
Curse the f'n gods!

ERJ-145CA

Heal up and get better. I know how much it sucks as I lay here on the couch with my leg elevated. But you should be fine for next season.

gmcunni

that sucks, heal fast + well.

steamboat1

Sorry to hear John, rest up.

gmcunni

I have missed most of the last 3 seasons. Here goes:
11/2009 pinched nerve in neck mtb injury ski season lost
6/2010 torn mcl/meniscus right knee hockey no effect on skiing
10/2010 left shoulder surgery labrum old injury reinjured surfing. A few late season trips.
11/2011 right shoulder surgery labrum/Rotar cuff general abuse. A few late season trips. One that did not end well...next injury!
2/2012 grade 2 sprains ligaments left ankle. At least I did this skiing thru crud last yer at jay.

This year feeling great ready to go. Wife has an MRI in mid december revealing stress fracture l4. We had to cancel last week at jay.
Curse the f'n gods!

wow, that's a crappy list

o3jeff

Heal up, hopefully you had some good days this year.

steamboat1

I forgot about this thread (posted it in another). Two weeks ago today I broke my ankle, tore meniscus & blew out ACL on right leg. Went to the doc again today & he said there wasn't much ligament damage but ACL is shot. Finally had an MRI done yesterday but he told me two weeks ago ACL was shot.. Doesn't recommend surgery but I have lots of re-hab to do to strengthen the muscles around the knee. If that doesn't work or I'm uncomfortable then surgery. Also bruised the two bones coming into the knee (compressed). Hard cast for my ankle which goes up to my knee should be coming off in two weeks. At least I'll be able to drive again when the cast comes off. Doesn't recommend I try to ski again this year but that doesn't mean I won't. I'll see how it goes & how I feel. At least I'm not in pain anymore & can put some weight on my right leg.

Last edited:

jrmagic

Thanks all. I know its not the end of the world but it really sucks. Hang in there and heal up ERJ and Steam.

DHS thanks for catching the brain-fart in my post. Guess the meds got to me lol

jrmagic

Well the ribs still ache a bit and click as I move my arm around but I had 2 awesome days at Magic last weekend and am headed up to ski there again Friday and half of Saturday.

timm

Pinched a nerve in my back earlier last week and I was feeling better by Saturday so I made a go of it. Doing fine most of the day but then in the trees off of Upper Wildcat caught my pole on something and it wrenched my arm/shoulder back far enough to really aggravate it -- thought ah no big deal I'll just take it easy the rest of the day.

Next run down could not even move my neck so figured the drive home would be challenge enough and bailed. Feeling better but may take this weekend off to fully recover so I can go hard for whatever season is left after that - still in wait and see mode today.

steamboat1

So how is everyone doing?

Cast is off but I still need to wear a moon boot to support the ankle. I'm still using crutches to get around because I'm not supposed to put full weight on the ankle yet. I'm going to PT twice a week for the knee & also do daily exercises at home. Can't do many exercises using weights because of the ankle but do a few that don't put strain on the ankle. Mostly just different types of leg raising (with weight) & stretching exercises. I have been able ride the exercise bike though without putting much strain on the ankle. My ski season this year is shot but I hope to be 100% when the snow starts flying again next season. I will be up at Killington towards the end of April to hang out with a few ski buddies just for the laughs but won't be able to ski. Both the ankle & knee are still sore, some days worse than others. I think I'll be able to tell when it's going to rain from here on out. Foot & ankle are still swollen but not as bad. Knee never swelled up to bad even when I first injured it & is not swollen at all now.