• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is Bolton Valley worth checking out?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Take me with you! I'd love to know how you find 20-30 powder days in the east. You must be counting a few days after a storm into lands unknown...
I can get up to 20 in a good year of a 50 day season. There are definitely a solid 20-30 powder days to be had most seasons in New England if you hit them all at the right time and at the right location.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Rivercoil, you are entitled to your opinion, but I def. disagree with you. It is not a steep mountain, but I think you are exaggerating a little bit. Now compared to its northern neighbors, it isn't steep, but compared to many, many other east coast mountains? I'd say it is average at worst. Comparable to some southern Vermont mountains for overall steepness, maybe Okemo-Stratton-Bromley? It certainly is not so flat that it is almost unskiable on a powder day, as you seem to intimate. I think the other posters here have it right...it might be a touch boring if a) it hasn't snowed lately or b) you don't like trees.

I'm not even that into trees, and I had a good time at Bolton. I wouldn't buy a condo there, but its certainly worth a day, imo.
We can definitely disagree. But I am not just comparing to NoVT and not just VT either but also other mountains in NH and ME. Bromley has some rather steep terrain, much steeper than what I have skied at Bolton. I can not speak for Okemo or Stratton. Burke, Cannon, Loon, Waterville, Wildcat, Loaf, Saddleback, SR, etc. the list goes on and on and I will not keep going. For big name mountains, it is certainly one of the least steep and I just don't see how you can argue against that.

I exaggerate a little bit on my comment about not steep enough for powder. The deeper the snow, the steeper you need the terrain to be though for sure in order to get much speed up. Anyone that has skied, or tried to ski, two feet of fresh on a shallow pitched blue square can attest to that.

Bolton seemed like a great little resort. Still need to get back there to try the backcountry. But it is not what the OP is looking for.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm with River. Out of the 40 or so ski areas I've skied in New England, Bolton is the flattest.

People are getting a bit defensive regarding the place. I never said you couldn't have a good time there. The original poster expressed a desire for steep terrain......that's just not Bolton.

Yes, some of their trees are fun, yes they're probably top five, perhaps three in the east for natural snow. Yes, it's intimate, low key and affordable.

Steep it is not. Only place I can think of that I've skied in the Northeast with at least 1000 feet of vertical that Bolton is steeper than is Wachusette.

DoubleEject

It's about the Pow...

Okay, so if all you're interested in is steep, go to Cannon and enjoy the icy slopes...or go to Sunday River and ski the steep groomed trails. However, if you're looking for a great time in some interesting terrain, and can handle skiing 10 hour days for $29-$39, then hit BV on a Wed. The waitresses in the pub and the locals skiing the mountain were as friendly as they get and more than happy to share the mountain secret stashes! Even Sat had empty chairs on a Powder day which keeps the Pow fresh.

I'm driving myself crazy with all this talk about the Powder!!! I think this is great to connect with other skiers who are as passionate about skiing as myself. I'm definitely looking forward to more great trips with many of you AZ folks.

I think the flatness is still a bit exagerated. Look at Reefer's first pic and tell me that run is flat. Look at Okemo mtn or Bretton woods....those resorts are flat. If you think BV is flatter than that then you haven't figured out the mountain yet. I'll be happy to show you around on a Powder day anytime. I'm just not into the groomers anymore, no matter how steep, it just get's icy, or skied off. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

As for the 20-30 Powder days/year, I think I was misunderstood. What I said was that I Ski 20-30 days/year and MOST of them are powder days. So I hit more like 15-20 powder days. The secret is to follow the storms and watch the radar, and then be willing/able to ski midweek to hit the slopes before it get's skied off. A little luck on the w/e's help, and being flexible and waiting to make the right decision is key. I made the BV trip decision on Friday after seeing the snow totals, and it just kept falling.:snow: Having a friend or two to help watch/plan for storms sure helps out. I couldn't do it without Reefer's help. (screename, not the plant :cool:) We hit MRG on 4/7/07 when they re-opened after getting 3' of POW, then we hit it opening day in Nov '07, once again after 2-3 feet of POW. I'm sure many of you saw Greg's video of that day. He did a great job editing it, and the music he used was 'Be Yourself' - perfect!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Glad you like Bolton. I've skied there a half dozen times or so. I'm not going to recommend the place to someone who prefers something steep. Bolton is not and you're kidding yourself if you think overall it's a steeper mountain than even Okemo. I'm not saying Okemo is better with that statement.

Me saying Burke is a better choice based on what he's looking for is 100% about 'what he's looking for'

If someone asked where they should go for a great day of cruising groomers, I'm not going to say, go check out Mad River Glen.

I think it's great that people are passionate about there home mountains. I think its also important to recognize their limitations.

Stowe's my favorite place to ski in the East. I didn't recommend it to someone in another thread. For what his wife and kids desire, I think Sunday River is a better 'fit'.

koreshot

Yes, steep is definitely what I am after. I think I will primarily spend time at Smuggs, Sugarbush and maybe head up to Jay and Burke if the mood strikes. Of course there will be a day or two of very expensive skiing at Stowe.

I hope Madonna lift line will be skiable by late January. After watching that video in the other thread, I am pretty excited to give it a shot.

Based on what I have read, Bolton will be a good place to keep in my back pocket. Might be a good relax day ... also some of the less advanced skiers/boarders on the trip will enjoy a less steep and hardcore place.

I just hope that I remember how to ski... only skied 5 days last year... all of them at freaking Blue Mountain, PA.

tjf67

Thanks guys... I am glad I checked. So Bolton goes into the "back-up" category and now the list is:

Stowe (2 days)
Smuggs (2 days)
Sugarbush
Burke
Jay

I have never been to Smuggs but it does look like there is plenty of steep skiing to be had. One thing that I find annoying is that I have to drive 45 minutes to get to it. Website says that 108 closes and there is no easy way to get from Stowe to Jeffersonville.

Any shortcuts?

Thats a great line up man!!! Smuggs is a ride. If you are staying in Stowe maybe skin up the road over to smuggs. At the end of the day sking back over to stowes' trails. Can you get to smuggs trails from the top of the notch??? I have no idea

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
I think some are selling BV short but that's okay. For thrill factor not many places can beat driving down the BV access road with dicey conditions.:lol: I do give BV alot of cred as they just started spinning their new wind turbine. I think that's #2 in the northeast? I wasn't a big fan of their semi-new ownership/management setup but maybe I'll have to rethink that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thats a great line up man!!! Smuggs is a ride. If you are staying in Stowe maybe skin up the road over to smuggs. At the end of the day sking back over to stowes' trails. Can you get to smuggs trails from the top of the notch??? I have no idea

You end up riding down 108 and cut over through the parking lot to the Madonna base. The Smuggs side of the notch road is more 'downhill' than the Stowe side. There's a fairly lengthy section of the Stowe side that is quite flat.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
You end up riding down 108 and cut over through the parking lot to the Madonna base. The Smuggs side of the notch road is more 'downhill' than the Stowe side. There's a fairly lengthy section of the Stowe side that is quite flat.

Don't forget the section of Rt 108 on the Stowe side that is very steep with several very tight switchbacks much steeper and tighter than anything on the Smuggs side. I agree that the Smuggs side would be a nice downhill run to the resort.

Back to the OP, if you really want to maximize your ski time BV has alot of terrain open for night skiing.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would have to disagree with your assessment of the Stowe side of the notch as the very top of the notch, maybe 100 yards is flat and the bottom part as well but there is a long section between that is very steep with several very tight switchbacks much steeper and tighter than the Smuggs side. I agree that the Smuggs side would be a nice downhill run.

once you go past the base areas of Stowe, there is I'm guestimating 1.5-2 miles of FLAT road before you get to the steep incline and switchbacks up to the top of the Notch. On the Smuggs side, it is a much more consistent gradual descent all the way to the Madonna base. The length of travel on the Smuggs side is probably a third of that of the Stowe side and all downhill. Top of the Notch to Madonna Base = about a mile. Top of the Notch to Stowe Base = about three miles.

As it's 'taboo'. Without getting into a lot of detail regarding BC terrain, almost all of the the routes off the back of Spruce/Sterling, end up on a gradually pitched 108 that involves very little poling / skating to get to the Smuggs lifts. On the Stowe side of the notch, it is not the same. When you drive it in summer, you go along a long flat section with picnic areas to the right, Long Trail access to the left. In the winter, this is all entirely flat and requires extensive skating, poling.

psyflyer

So I will be spending a week in the Stowe area in January. I don't want to spend all 7 days skiing in Stowe cause a) it will get repetitive and b) its freaking expensive c) i like the vibe of smaller resots better.

Smuggs is on the list, never been there. I'll probably do a day in Jay and a day in Sugarbush, been to both multiple times. Can't do MRG, going with a snowboarder.

I have never been to Bolton and I was thinking it might be a nice low key place to spend a lazy day in... and save some money on the lift tickets.

So is Bolton worth going to? It doesn't seem to get much love on AZ.

What are the good runs/routes down the mountain? How are the lift lines?

(I like speed... the steeper the better... natural snow and trees is my favorite.)

Check out Burke, about 1:30 minutes away. If you like natural snow, trees and no list lines your in for a treat for sure. GL!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Originally Posted by thetrailboss
I recall you were only able to ski at Burke for a few hours with us in '07.

Quote: Koreshot
Yes that was the time I hit a snake in the woods, lost a ski and wrapped myself around a tree. Not a fun moment, but the snow was so good I kept skiing. Next day was some serious bruising and pain.

Yep, That was a good day...
I met up with you guys shortly after the snow snake incident. Koreshot and I went into the woods and ripped it up for a while.
Koreshot_SlotPow1.jpg

On the Bolton note. There are some fairly steep pitches on the upper 1/3 of the mountain. The runout back to the lifts is kind of boring. They do get a lot of snow and the mountain will keep you entertained for a day if you end up going.

If you do head to Burke again, let me know.

koreshot

Yep, That was a good day...
I met up with you guys shortly after the snow snake incident. Koreshot and I went into the woods and ripped it up for a while.
Koreshot_SlotPow1.jpg

On the Bolton note. There are some fairly steep pitches on the upper 1/3 of the mountain. The runout back to the lifts is kind of boring. They do get a lot of snow and the mountain will keep you entertained for a day if you end up going.

If you do head to Burke again, let me know.

Ah memories! That secret stash of yours was awesome! Has it remained secret though? Its been "open" for 2 years now and the entry into it is pretty visible from the trail.

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
A slightly nostalgic view, but yes Bolton is very much worth checking out. I learned to ski there and at Cochrans nearby. Bolton gets serious natural snow, can nab storms that everyone else misses due to westerm exposure and proximity to Lake Champlain, has some steeps, some trees, (yes slow lifts but i like that), and quite a bit of character. I am the type that can have the day of my season at a smaller place with a mellow vibe, just lapping the spots I like the best. And Bolton is not that small - or you could just go there and night shred. Tis all. Oh yeah - arndog!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Ah memories! That secret stash of yours was awesome! Has it remained secret though? Its been "open" for 2 years now and the entry into it is pretty visible from the trail.

Unfortunately it is no longer a secret. In fact I hear people talking about it on the lifts :???:. These days, I have to hit it first run of the day now before the uppermost steep section gets scraped off (ie.. side slipped) by people who shouldn't be skiing it. Last year you wouldn't enven know the little cliff bands were there due to all the snow that had been pushed down over them. Someone has got to spending a fortune in tuning after polishing the sharp granite in there :). The line is still killer on a powder day and I made it up there for a couple hours of "maintenance" this fall.