• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is winter over in the Northeast?

Riverskier

Given the lack of excitement from the mets about the current weather pattern, I don't think it is too early to write off April for any potential snow storms. I think if there was even a hint at a potential pattern change in the next two weeks, skiing mets would be at least giving hints by now... especially with no snow in March and a month since the last micro storm for the region. And if it does not happen within the next two weeks... chances for a good storm after mid-April are pretty slim.

Slim, sure, no disagreement there. But.... Certainly still a relevant possibility. Long term forecasts are useful, but are often times wrong. Patriot's Day storm 2007 Sugarloaf got over 40 inches. May 1st 2008, Sugarloaf got 8 inches. I am not holding my breath, but I am not giving up hope either! I still say writing off snow, at least at Sugarloaf during their second snowiest month of the year, before the month even begins is a bit pessimistic.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Adding insult to injury, with all but a very limited number of areas closing this weekend, the weather has turned fouly cold for spring skiing and some ski areas up north even received some snow. Unfortunately, that only means the corn snow froze and temps do not look high enough to soften, especially without the sun. This after two days of rain. Where is that warm spring skiing weather now that it is actually wanted! :( Just saw some flakes outside my window here in Ashland this morning :eek: Which means I am staying put today... for the third day in a row.

eatskisleep

Adding insult to injury, with all but a very limited number of areas closing this weekend, the weather has turned fouly cold for spring skiing and some ski areas up north even received some snow. Unfortunately, that only means the corn snow froze and temps do not look high enough to soften, especially without the sun. This after two days of rain. Where is that warm spring skiing weather now that it is actually wanted! :( Just saw some flakes outside my window here in Ashland this morning :eek: Which means I am staying put today... for the third day in a row.

Loon and Wildcat are the only two mountains left right now in NH. Loon has only 13 trails while Wildcat has 33... maybe they'll pick up some snow since Mount Washington is today? We can only hope...

drjeff

Last week was just ridiculous with what the temps and then for many places, t-storms, did to the snowpack. For so much of the Northeast, any snowpack under 3 feet deep or so, thawed, and once that deep, frozen layer went so did the cooling ability it has for the pack over it and the melt started occurring both top down and bottom up :eek: And unfortunately this time of year, the chances of getting a solid refreeze of that deep cooling/insulating layer are mighty slim :(

legalskier

Spring comes 10 days earlier in changed U.S. climate
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Spring comes about 10 days earlier in the United States than it did two decades ago, a consequence of climate change that favors invasive species over indigenous ones, scientists said on Tuesday. The phenomenon known as "spring creep" has put various species of U.S. wildlife out of balance with their traditional habitats....In Massachusetts, Davis said, those include some of the most charismatic species, such as lilies, orchids, roses and dogwoods.***

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100420/us_nm/us_climate_spring_usa

AMAC2233

It was a lot more than 10 days early this year. It was the first March here I can remember in a long time without any snow besides only a dusting.

lazyasian

Think Jay would open midweek if they got that? It'd be pretty much gone by the weekend otherwise, I'd imagine...

awf170

Jay Peak forecast from NOAA:

Today: Snow. High near 32. North northwest wind between 7 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow. Low around 23. North northwest wind between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow. High near 31. North northwest wind between 11 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Yeah... that is a total of 15-27 inches...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
been snowing hard here now for an hr sticking to the turf and possibly up to 6 inches of heavy wet glop by tomorrow

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Smugglers:
SnapshotJPEG

I-89 @ Bolton
Image-707001-707001-0-0.jpg

Zand

About 1/2" so far here... forecasts are anywhere between 3" and a foot... heard Jay has a shot at 3 feet.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Snowing here in Ashland, damn. Was not expecting it this far south! Time to get my crap ready for tomorrow post work at Cannon. Need to reschedule a PT eval on my knee too. Heh! :lol:

psyflyer

I have about 1.5 feet on my deck. There is at least a full foot of snow at 1500 feet on Burke, will hike it up willoughby and get some post season turns. Of course the biggest storm of the season comes now.... It still snowing as hard as ever and the scene out there is surreal...
:snow: