• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole 2/22-2/25/21

Cornhead

Great TR Zand, thanks for the time, and effort, to post. Glad you got the goods.

Zand

Thursday report...

Arrived right at 8:30 and other than the Tram line, the -16 degree temp was keeping people inside for another hour or so. Hopped right on Teewinot and Apres Vous for a quick warm-up (or cool down, due to the temps and speed) on Werner.

IMG_20210225_090434_677.jpg

At 9:00 I headed over to Teton which was ski on, then down the traverse to Thunder. Skied right on that which was nice, but I wanted to get a couple Sublette runs in since the lines chased me out yesterday. Headed down a freshly groomed Grand, one of the most scenic trails on earth.

0225210921.jpg

First run off Sublette was Alta 1, which had snow so sticky it almost got frightening when my skis would stick before every turn. There was a small inversion, but still -3 at the summit with a wicked wind over the ridgeline so things needed some thawing out.

0225210939.jpg

Still no wait at Sublette, so I headed over to Bivouac Woods which also had somewhat sticky snow but not as sticky as Alta. Also some deep pockets of powder. Really short run that I wasnt going to bother with but with no line figured why not.

0225210953.jpg

The line suddenly built up during that run, so I headed out of Sublette via Tensleep. I traversed all the way to Pair-a-Chutes but they were so crusted over that turning was not an option. I actually traversed all the way back to snag tree and took the groomer down.

Had about an hour left so I hit Thunder Liftline after about a 5 minute wait. Saw some nice snow below and it skied like it looked. No stickiness problems or crust in this area.

0225210917.jpg

Hit Tower 3 next which started off very nice at the top, but once into the shade had the same sticky issue that Alta had and on a trail that steep, it's very unsettling. Few more degrees and it would be fine, but my skis did not want to slide.

0225211108.jpg

Had time for one more run so I decided to actually end with a groomer. I hadn't skied Sundance yet this week and it is probably my absolute favorite cruiser anywhere. So I took Marmot and finished the trip with the terrific 2700' vert run. To me, this is almost a perfect run with a lot of vert, very long, nice and bright in the sun, and maintains good pitch the whole way. Only problem is crossing the multiple traverses can kinda kill momentum.

0225211114a.jpg

Got in 10 runs before 11:15 which was nice. Still only 8 degrees when I left but the sunny skies kept it feeling warm. Hate to leave, but I was kinda getting sick of lines anyway. Hoping things are back to normal next year so I can actually ride the tram without a 2 hour wait and maximize my Sublette/Thunder time. Hoping to finally pair Jackson with Big Sky like I've wanted to do for a couple years, and throw Targhee in as well. For now, hoping to get out Sunday back home. Looking at potentially heading to Utah in early April since that trip got cancelled last year.

For now, so long Jackson for another year.

0225211109.jpg

mikec142

Damn...I'm sorry I won't be reading any more of this trip. Almost worth paying for you to stay another day!

jimk

Beautiful photos showing up on my laptop. You using your cell phone?
I was using free google photos, but they stopped the unlimited free a couple months ago and I haven't investigated an alternative. My old digital cam that I'm using temporarily, doesn't cut it compared to what I could get with my samsung s10e uploads to google photos.

Zand

Yup, all cell phone. And the new forum upgrade makes it incredibly easy to upload right from my gallery.

Tonyr

Wouldn't mind staying one more day...as usual a big storm is moving in tonight!
Sad to see your time there is over. That was one of the best trip reports I've read, thanks again for taking the time to post it!

Zand

Tabulated my vertical footage per day...

Monday: 33,509
Tuesday: 19,278
Wednesday: 29,279
Thursday: 16,107

Total: 98,173

Add in about 12k from Snow King to put it near 110k. Still kinda pissed at myself for Tuesday, wouldve been even more epic if I wasn't an idiot. Got almost as much yesterday in 2.5 hours as I got in 6 hours on Tuesday, shows how bad the lines were.