• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

ThatGuy

Well the people of VT keep electing him. There are pluses and minuses of term limits.
The incumbent has a major advantage, especially after decades. They have to do something really dumb to lose their position for the most part.

IceEidolon

Yes, but you also get to keep a half decent politician if you find them. It's a thorny problem.

ThatGuy

Yes, but you also get to keep a half decent politician if you find them. It's a thorny problem.
If there’s such few decent politicians where you need the same one for 40 years then thats a big problem as well.

IceEidolon

I worked with skilled Mtn ops staff that were just about 40 year employees. I wouldn't fire them for term limits either - their experience and connections and skill is hugely valuable.

My actual point, though, is that it's a complex issue and just adding term limits will pretty much just change the names attached to the acts, not fix much.

JoeB-Z

Vermont has a unique habit reelecting long term Senators and Representatives. This allows the state to punch above its weight due to committee seniority. I like the way they alternate Republican governors. The state has done well with that as it curbs excesses generally. Setting aside Shumlin of course just to keep on topic.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Vermont has a unique habit reelecting long term Senators and Representatives. This allows the state to punch above its weight due to committee seniority. I like the way they alternate Republican governors. The state has done well with that as it curbs excesses generally. Setting aside Shumlin of course just to keep on topic.
I'm not sure that the legislature "curbs excesses."

JoeB-Z

I was talking about electing Republican governors. As to curbing excesses, that has to be taken in the context of the reality of the Vermont electorate. I wasn't talking about the Vermont legislature.

thetrailboss

Staff member

This sentiment seems to completely ignore the reality of the real damage caused to Vermont's reputation and the need for transparency and accountability. If anything there is more of a need to make this information public.

“However unsatisfying for the Barr Law Group, the media, or the Vermont public, the assignment of criminal culpability is distinct from an assessment of governmental competence and related civil liability,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Nicole Cate wrote in the filing.

I have not reviewed the legal issues, but again this was the worst fraud in Vermont's history and I'd say that the pendulum has swung to the "disclose more than necessary" side in order to try to regain public confidence.

Silly and naive I know. 🤦‍♂️

urungus

True, but it's much simpler than that, all you need to win in Vermont is a 'D' next to your name. Obviously it wasnt like that in the beginning of Leahy's career, but it is now.
Vermonts current governor is a three-term Republican with a 41% victory margin in his latest re-election

thetrailboss

Staff member
Vermonts current governor is a three-term Republican with a 41% victory margin in his latest re-election
A very moderate Republican that is.

It's too bad there are no longer two decently organized parties to keep each other in check in Vermont. The Vermont Republican Party is in between a rock and a hard place.

icecoast1

Vermont's current governor is a three-term Democrat who puts an 'R' next to his name to run against the other Democrat.

It will be interesting to see what happens next election if they run somebody against him that's not a complete unhinged lunatic now that he's pissed off all of the branch covidians in Vermont for not going full covid totalitarian again

VTKilarney

It will be interesting to see what happens next election if they run somebody against him that's not a complete unhinged lunatic now that he's pissed off all of the branch covidians in Vermont for not going full covid totalitarian again

He is definitely taking a LOT of heat for not ratcheting up Covid restrictions. But those are the most vocal people - a large percentage of whom don't work. We are nearly two years into this thing and the hospitals are not overwhelmed. At some point you have to realize that we aren't going to stop Covid.

If what they say about the Omicron variant is true, I'm actually rooting for it. People on the ground in South Africa are saying that it's a mild form of Covid that is not sending anyone to the hospital. Ironically, we are closing borders to prevent Omicron from gaining a foothold so the more serious Delta variant can continue spreading.

To be fair, we still have a lot to learn about Omicron, but the typical knee-jerk reaction seems to be happening.

Last edited:

1dog

He is definitely taking a LOT of heat for not ratcheting up Covid restrictions. But those are the most vocal people - a large percentage of whom don't work. We are nearly two years into this thing and the hospitals are not overwhelmed. At some point you have to realize that we aren't going to stop Covid.

If what they say about the Omnicron variant is true, I'm actually rooting for it. People on the ground in South Africa are saying that it's a mild form of Covid that is not sending anyone to the hospital. Ironically, we are closing borders to prevent Omicron from gaining a foothold so the more serious Delta variant can continue spreading.

To be fair, we still have a lot to learn about Omnicron, but the typical knee-jerk reaction seems to be happening.
Do we really and truly think a federal government that shuts down travel ( as limited at it may already be to and from those S- African nations) but has 'no comment' on the open southern US border, is truly serious about protecting the 'governed'?

Half the employment problem could be fixed if all able incoming were placed in jobs 'that no one wants'. The other half, well, look what EB-5 reaped. Workers were not the problem there - just the leadership of it. Still hoping for an Alterra purchase of Jay. I can see it happening if they contract out some of the hockey and water slide side businesses - their focus is ski area ops and real estate- not Disney-like ops.

fbrissette

If what they say about the Omicron variant is true, I'm actually rooting for it. People on the ground in South Africa are saying that it's a mild form of Covid that is not sending anyone to the hospital. Ironically, we are closing borders to prevent Omicron from gaining a foothold so the more serious Delta variant can continue spreading.

To be fair, we still have a lot to learn about Omicron, but the typical knee-jerk reaction seems to be happening.
I gnerally agree with you, although what is known so far about the mild effects of Omicron is based on a study tracking university students. We should therfore wait a little bit before we extrapolate this data to a whole population.

fbrissette

Nothing since the last report from the Receivership. I assume that if nothing is annouced very soon, we might have to wait till summer/fall.