• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

machski

I don't know, 5 years for the largest fraud case in VT history certainly seems like a slap on the wrist to me. The average sentence for armed robbery nationally is 111 months. Quite frankly, I think Quiros crime is a bit bigger than robbing a gas station of a few hundred bucks.

But white collar criminals tend to get off light anyways.
Yes, this was a huge fraud case. But I don't think Q ever pulled a gun and hostilely took money from anyone. Thus why armed robbery has a steeper penalty, it implies violence and with a lethal weapon

fbrissette

Yes, this was a huge fraud case. But I don't think Q ever pulled a gun and hostilely took money from anyone. Thus why armed robbery has a steeper penalty, it implies violence and with a lethal weapon
Stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from people is quite violent in my opinion. The disproportionate penalties are highly related to race and education levels.

Domeskier

Stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from people is quite violent in my opinion. The disproportionate penalties are highly related to race and education levels.
The victims of violent crime are also much more likely to be of the same race and education levels as the perpetrators. If the people drafting the laws are elitist racists who are motivated by prejudice and self-interest, why aren't they imposing greater penalties on crimes they are more likely to be the victims of? Perhaps because reasonable people of all races and education levels can agree that punishing and deterring violent crime is a better use of resources than pandering to class resentments and pretending that Quiros is a greater threat than an armed robber or other violent criminal.

thetrailboss

Staff member
True, but Q is not technically Caucasian. I think he is part Korean. I could be wrong.

I do agree that it seemed that when foreign money is involved people don't give a shit. That is shortsighted considering that this program "could" do some real good in areas that are disadvantaged and with industries that cannot get capital as easily. Vermont was a good target for this and the State fucked it all up.

fbrissette

The victims of violent crime are also much more likely to be of the same race and education levels as the perpetrators. If the people drafting the laws are elitist racists who are motivated by prejudice and self-interest, why aren't they imposing greater penalties on crimes they are more likely to be the victims of? Perhaps because reasonable people of all races and education levels can agree that punishing and deterring violent crime is a better use of resources than pandering to class resentments and pretending that Quiros is a greater threat than an armed robber or other violent criminal.
I don't want to start a discussion on racial equality in front of the law. A penalty is supposed to be a deterrent first and foremost. If you think 5 years is enough for stealing tens of millions, fine. I'll just add that you can get 5 years for selling weed (a non violent crime) in many states.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't want to start a discussion on racial equality in front of the law. A penalty is supposed to be a deterrent first and foremost. If you think 5 years is enough for stealing tens of millions, fine. I'll just add that you can get 5 years for selling weed (a non violent crime) in many states.
Again, he was a complete fraud from the get-go. I see a stiffer sentence as serving more of a deterrent to this kind of behavior. Especially considering his lack of remorse. The only upside is he is old and very well may die in prison.

Last edited:

machski

It's quite ugly and massively damaging to those taken for the ride. That said, you are not being held up by a lethal weapon and forced to do something, as in armed robbery. So while both are out a lot of money or possessions, how they got there is the difference and not a level comparison for penalty levels because of that.

jimmywilson69

Simply said that piece of shit should've got the maximum. I would feel that way if it didn't involve a ski resort too.

Otherwise what's the deterrent for people to not do it in the future...

This was a calculated fraud by Q and he eventually got Bill into it. I don't think Bill was along for the fraud at first, and hell maybe he didn't even realize what he was into. Eventually he got on board and he's paying for it. Its a shame, because he generally seemed like a good guy

eatskisleep

It was deep yesterday. Everything off the top of the jet was open including the glades, as well as a handful of runs off the Bonnie.View attachment 54445View attachment 54446
Makes you wonder if one of the “big guys” buys Jay will they still even try for late season or will it become Cat 2.0

On the note of “white collar crime doesn’t hurt anyone” - look at all the people that lost $$ with Bernie Madoff then committed suicide… then ask, is an armed robbery of a 7-11 really that different? Yes, and no… both can have severe consequences…

There is so much fraud and corruption in this country (especially by .gov officials) that we need to start prosecuting. Please note: I haven’t followed the Jay case closely, so I don’t know if 5 years is a lot or a little for Q. I do know, Jay of 2022 looks so much different than when I first went around 2003 or so… the place has seen a transformation, I’d argue for the better, and perhaps a lot of that is due to him…

KustyTheKlown

vail isnt buying jay

if alterra buys jay there is no reason to think they wont go late considering they just went to may at sugarbush

if boyne buys jay there is no reason to think they wont go late considering they just went to may at sugarloaf

what else is there for 'big guys'? powdr runs killington to memorial day.

JoeB-Z

Did the investors end up getting green cards?
Very timely question. Apparently some got green cards and some did not. I think the green cards are easier obtained if there was concrete employment and building. So earlier projects are probably in good shape and ANCbio is SOL. All are getting back some amount. In a big break for those who did not get green cards, the laws have been changed to improve their chances if they take some of the money coming back. Here's the receivers memo to the court on the topic.

The receiver has done a great job putting the financial bite on anyone who benefitted. This is just interim and the investors will no doubt get more money with the sale of the ski areas.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The receiver is also fighting very hard for the immigration rights of the investors. Apparently a lot have a temporary status for now. The status as of late last year is in the report attached. I'm glad their rights are being looked after. Talk about innocent victims.

Right. The Jay ones are in the best position. Burke ones will get there eventually. The AnC Bio ones are really screwed because there was never any intent to do that project. They have nothing to show except for a vacant building site.

thetrailboss

Staff member
vail isnt buying jay

if alterra buys jay there is no reason to think they wont go late considering they just went to may at sugarbush

if boyne buys jay there is no reason to think they wont go late considering they just went to may at sugarloaf

what else is there for 'big guys'? powdr runs killington to memorial day.
Boyne has said they are not buying Jay. Of course that can change.

thetrailboss

Staff member
On the note of “white collar crime doesn’t hurt anyone” - look at all the people that lost $$ with Bernie Madoff then committed suicide… then ask, is an armed robbery of a 7-11 really that different? Yes, and no… both can have severe consequences…

There is so much fraud and corruption in this country (especially by .gov officials) that we need to start prosecuting. Please note: I haven’t followed the Jay case closely, so I don’t know if 5 years is a lot or a little for Q. I do know, Jay of 2022 looks so much different than when I first went around 2003 or so… the place has seen a transformation, I’d argue for the better, and perhaps a lot of that is due to him…
As one of the investors has said, "by that logic, one can rob a bank and as long as he uses the money to build a hospital, then everything is fine."

Q is not the one who gets credit for Jay's improvements. That was all Bill. Q just stood off to the side and used it as a way to bankroll his personal projects and lifestyle.