• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

Naturalsnow

Actually, the Power line 6 wasn't a $$ thing, it was an ACT250 thing. State shit it down due to two tower footings being basically in seasonal streambeds. I remember it went round and round, then they finally shelved the plans and just shortened Bonnie (to make room for Stateside Hotel). Power line was suppose to shift towards Jet and run up the existing power line cut.
Wasn't Powerline the lift line for the original Bonaventure double? When they built the quad, they cut a new lift line which paralleled the old one but didn't go up as high on the mountain. They must have lost whatever grandfathered status the original double might have had and would have to go through a whole new permitting process for a new lift at this point.

MG Skier

Lets hope the new owners (Whenever that happens) start taking care of the skier/boarder with some significant lift/snow making upgrades.....dare I say a West Bowl sans Hotel and a ton of condos.

machski

IIRC, I think the Bonnie or the chairs and or towers etc. were possibly scheduled to upgrade the Jet to a quad if the 6 was built....there is not a ton of space at the top of the Jet Triple now, so I am fine with a triple over there.
Yes, Bonnie was suppose to be refurbed and flipped to replace The Jet.

VTKilarney

thetrailboss

Staff member
Governor Shumlin and Quiros were VERY close friend, apparently.

Disgusting on multiple levels. A Governor who took gifts and favors regularly because "there was no rule against it", yet he made his staff sign an ethics pledge to not do so (apparently he did as well but "it did not apply to him). When things went south he told Quiros to be honest and cooperate to "protect us all". Us?!

Moulton knew Stenger and used him to get free lodging at Jay (minus the cost of cleaning). The only reason she manages to bounce around in state government is because her Daddy was a former state employee.

Raymond admits that in 2012 the EB-5 office had no checks and balances and was the "wild west." It was around that time that Shummy was featured in the infamous promo video touting how the State "audited" projects when they had no fucking clue. That talking point--nobody knows where it came from. Maybe Quiros and Stenger, maybe another state official. Complete B.S.

When Hulme blew the whistle in 2012 saying that $13 million was "missing", Raymond requested a simple audit. Shumlin bought Stenger's plea that such audit would be too expensive. The fact that a concerned Newport resident with a computer and internet figured out that Q and AnCBio was a complete sham and sent the info to the State in early 2013, who Shummy publicly said was "auditing" these projects shows just how corrupt or flat out stupid the State really was.

And when oversight finally occurred, the Governor, Q, and Leahy told the regulators to back off. Unfucking real.

It is in the State's interest to maintain some shred of credibility to allow Shumlin, Moulton, and others to be prosecuted and held accountable. Absolutely infuriating.

LONGBOARDR

And despite all this bullshit the mountain continues to deliver the goods.
A great day here, sorely needed by all, but not a particularly remarkable day at Jay.
Ski on all day non-stop snow (20) and plenty of tracks to be laid.
An ultra core (and small) group of people keep the on mountain things going.
Thank you mountain ops you rule.
Anyone who loves NE skiing should hope for a happy landing for JayPeak.
This is the kind of place we want to continue!

BenedictGomez

If you have time, read the latest installment from VT Digger.

Just finished it. Amazing. I still call total BS on Raymond's innocence. At best he was guilty of work-place cowardice. This really brought back memories of threads here that are 10 years old. I still remember the, "an audit would be too expensive" line & almost spitting up my diet mountain dew.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So Jay is no longer going to sell joint-season passes with Burke. Sounds like a sale is imminent.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Update: Jay has two remaining potential buyers who are bidding against each other. Both agree to "let Jay do what it does" according to Steve Wright.

And though Canadian traffic is down, apparently the U.S. traffic has increased to "more than make up" for that loss. The last two weekends were very busy.

Vince

Skied 2 great powder days in a row Weds and Thurs. Not very crowded at all. Hopefully this place doesn't get ruined by a new buyer.

BodeMiller1

Just finished it. Amazing. I still call total BS on Raymond's innocence. At best he was guilty of work-place cowardice. This really brought back memories of threads here that are 10 years old. I still remember the, "an audit would be too expensive" line & almost spitting up my diet mountain dew.
Scamming nonprofits, IRS and such is the new norm. Sad, but true. Been out of the ski game for a year, but I've lost 180lbs and can't wait...
I've hiked thousands of miles. It's fun because a year ago I was left for dead at Dartmouth Hitchcock - Lebanon.

Hospice isn't as fun as it sounds. Coming back from the dead. - Priceless

MG Skier

Anyone know why the Jet triple hasn't been running? Mechanical? Financial? Labor? Just curious, not sure if and when I can get up there this year.