• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

thetrailboss

Staff member
With all of the new development at Jay it looks like plans for big conventions are starting to roll in (you'll get the pun if you keep reading).
http://new.pitchengine.com/pitches/68f8604c-2b23-4fae-8e78-bca36ef75155

Gonna be some nice cars rolling around the NEK that week. My guess is they will be doing cruises between Jay and Burke via Lake Willoughby. The Burke Toll road will likely be busy too. Lot of photo ops around the area for owners.

This part kind of surprised me: "The autocross and time-speed-distance events require a venue to meet specific needs, something Jay Peak was in a unique position to meet as the resort’s ownership recently purchased the nearby Newport Airport.”
Apparently, The Jay ownership purchased the operational rights to the state airport. I had no idea that was even possible.

Yeah, the airport was supposed to be one of their EB-5 projects, but they decided to use their own money for it. I guess it is going to be a privately owned airport operated for the public or something like that.

twinplanx

Yeah, the airport was supposed to be one of their EB-5 projects, but they decided to use their own money for it. I guess it is going to be a privately owned airport operated for the public or something like that.

So what kind of service can we expect from the airport? Long Island is a LONG drive from Jay Peak!! How big is this airport, what kinda planes come/in out of here, can it accommodate a Leear jet, is commercial service an option, or is intended for corporate use? I realize a direct flight from Islip MacArthur is a pipedream but prehaps a stop in Boston or Hartford would be feasible, Idk? Sorry about all the questions, but this got my wheels turning ;-)

ScottySkis

So what kind of service can we expect from the airport? Long Island is a LONG drive from Jay Peak!! How big is this airport, what kinda planes come/in out of here, can it accommodate a Leear jet, is commercial service an option, or is intended for corporate use? I realize a direct flight from Islip MacArthur is a pipedream but prehaps a stop in Boston or Hartford would be feasible, Idk? Sorry about all the questions, but this got my wheels turning ;-)

Or just fly to SLC.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Right now mostly private prop planes go in and out of there. Currently there are two 4000' long runways. There are plans to extend one of those (runway 18/36 I think) to 5000' to enable Jet landings. Islip/MacArthur is only 286 miles as the plane flies, or a little less than 2 hours in a typical Cessna single prop plane. Less than an hour for a small private Jet.

twinplanx

Thanks NEK, since my private jet is in the shop the ol' Cessna will have to do until Soutwest or US air step up to the plate ;-)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Or just fly to SLC.

There you go! The SLC Airport is 15 mins from my home and almost never has any delays. Great when you need to get out for work or life.

And the two hours difference is not bad for me....three was another story.

As to the Newport Airport, the immediate need was for the aircraft manufacturer that Bill Stenger has lured to the area and is in the process of setting up shop. I imagine though that the long-term view is to add some kind of service for JPR and Burke, but there won't be 737's from Southwest since they don't even go to BTV and probably will never.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I wonder if a small airline like Cape Air which flies into Lebanon and Rutland could be attracted into providing daily flights (from Boston and Westchester County, NY) in and out of Newport? Currently a flight from NY to Lebanon runs $99. 35 minute shuttle ride from the airport and you're there! New England destination skiing!

twinplanx

US Air fly's small prop planes in/out of Islip, that is why I mentioned them before. Even if Southwest could land in Newport I don't think they could fill the plane. Burlington might be a different story. I could see US Air filling a plane Friday into Newport for a Sunday departure back to Islip though. Screw it everyone needs a dream ;-)

LONGBOARDR

Hey All,

FNG guy signing on, long time Jay skier.
Newport Airport has major limitation that inhibits charter and commercial landings.
Newport VT airport FAA identifier EFK does not have a precision approach such as an ILS.
That means that in IFR conditions (instrument conditions) they can not land.
Big bucks and long time scale for FAA to move on this.

Great forum, looking forward to winter and getting to know folks

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well when was the airport project supposed to start?

That's not clear. I know that part of the airport was privitized to get the EB-5 funding. But right now Stenger is abroad trying to raise money for the multiple projects...at Burke and in Newport.

FWIW the Burke project was delayed until next year....mostly because they don't have the money (yet).

Smellytele

That's not clear. I know that part of the airport was privitized to get the EB-5 funding. But right now Stenger is abroad trying to raise money for the multiple projects...at Burke and in Newport.

FWIW the Burke project was delayed until next year....mostly because they don't have the money (yet).

The thing says it was delayed because of the government shut down but if it was scheduled to start for a while then was it really delayed because of this?

dlague

EB-5 funding is happening all over the place! Jay Peak got a good jump on it but I see it all over the place! Maybe this type of funding is tightening up a little?

Big Game

If you ever want to compare airports this site is awesome. Every sectional updated and free: http://skyvector.com/

To understand runway length, when you look at Newport State (EKF) you see an L 40. You add two zeros to get the longest runway in feet.

By comparison ISP is L 71

Also if you see a runways number is determined by it's direction in degrees minus that last digit. Runway 36 means it's due north. And you always get another runway the opposite way --- 18.

So Newports two runways are actually four. 5&23 and 18&36. This page list 5&23 being 1ft longer than 18&36 which is at 3999.

I obsess over this I am am trying to find the time/ money to get my private pilot license (w IFR) so I can hit MMK to EKF in about an hour and a half. Some day.

Does anyone here fly into Newport?

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you ever want to compare airports this site is awesome. Every sectional updated and free: http://skyvector.com/

To understand runway length, when you look at Newport State (EKF) you see an L 40. You add two zeros to get the longest runway in feet.

By comparison ISP is L 71

Also if you see a runways number is determined by it's direction in degrees minus that last digit. Runway 36 means it's due north. And you always get another runway the opposite way --- 18.

So Newports two runways are actually four. 5&23 and 18&36. This page list 5&23 being 1ft longer than 18&36 which is at 3999.

I obsess over this I am am trying to find the time/ money to get my private pilot license (w IFR) so I can hit MMK to EKF in about an hour and a half. Some day.

Does anyone here fly into Newport?

Cool. Thanks for the info. Good luck on the license!