• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
If you ever want to compare airports this site is awesome. Every sectional updated and free: http://skyvector.com/

To understand runway length, when you look at Newport State (EKF) you see an L 40. You add two zeros to get the longest runway in feet.

By comparison ISP is L 71

Also if you see a runways number is determined by it's direction in degrees minus that last digit. Runway 36 means it's due north. And you always get another runway the opposite way --- 18.

So Newports two runways are actually four. 5&23 and 18&36. This page list 5&23 being 1ft longer than 18&36 which is at 3999.

I obsess over this I am am trying to find the time/ money to get my private pilot license (w IFR) so I can hit MMK to EKF in about an hour and a half. Some day.

Does anyone here fly into Newport?

I have a private pilot's license although I haven't flown now in many years. Was going to do my IFR but never finished it (career plans when I was 18 was to be an airline pilot, that changed though (obviously!) ). Good luck!

jimmywilson69

AlpineZone Airline Now Serving the New York and Boston Metro Areas with daily flights to Vermont and New Hampshire.

JPTracker

Word on the street at Jay is that Jay has started the permitting process for running a snow making pipe from the Missisquoi River up to Jay which will greatly increase there snow making capacity. This is not only needed for the West Bowl but also for the rest of the resort as could be seen last season when they discontinued snow making on JFK and Exhibition due to expansion at the Learning Center.

On another note the Bonnie is going back in and has been given a fresh coat of green paint to match the other lifts, making it look like a new lift.

On another note the Bonnie is going back in and has been given a fresh coat of green paint to match the other lifts, making it look like a new lift.

Was wandering around around Stateside yesterday and earlier today, what a scene! Some of of us will be a bit confused by that paint job, I, for one, still called the Bonnie "the red chair."

JPT - would you not agree that there will be a giant cluster&%#* potential between the new lodge, Taxi Chair and Bonnie Chair? The terrain features a steep, relatively narrow slope, then add skiers/snowboarders putting on gear, walking to the lifts, beginners hiking uphill to the Taxi lift, other skiers late for lunch or blitzing through to the Jet, not much room for lift lines and a little Jay Peak hardscrabble, and oh, boy, things will get interesting. At least the windows of the new restaurant will have a good view of the mayhem.

JPTracker

Was wandering around around Stateside yesterday and earlier today, what a scene! Some of of us will be a bit confused by that paint job, I, for one, still called the Bonnie "the red chair."

JPT - would you not agree that there will be a giant cluster&%#* potential between the new lodge, Taxi Chair and Bonnie Chair? The terrain features a steep, relatively narrow slope, then add skiers/snowboarders putting on gear, walking to the lifts, beginners hiking uphill to the Taxi lift, other skiers late for lunch or blitzing through to the Jet, not much room for lift lines and a little Jay Peak hardscrabble, and oh, boy, things will get interesting. At least the windows of the new restaurant will have a good view of the mayhem.

Agreed. Walked over to Stateside from Tramside coming down Chalet Meadows, just as you would on skis. With the new hotel there now the path over to the Jet was not real clear and definitely not a straight shot anymore. Add to that the crowds around the lodge and lift lines on the Bonnie and Taxi lift, it will definitely be interesting skiing through to get to the Jet.

We also think the Bonnie, aka "Red Chair" should have been painted red. Also the Jet, aka "Black Chair" should have been painted Black. Should they have painted the Taxi lift Yellow? The Green Mountain Flyer is at least Green.

Also to park in the Stateside parking lot to walk over to the Jet did not look easy.

Agreed. Walked over to Stateside from Tramside coming down Chalet Meadows, just as you would on skis. With the new hotel there now the path over to the Jet was not real clear and definitely not a straight shot anymore. Add to that the crowds around the lodge and lift lines on the Bonnie and Taxi lift, it will definitely be interesting skiing through to get to the Jet.

We also think the Bonnie, aka "Red Chair" should have been painted red. Also the Jet, aka "Black Chair" should have been painted Black. Should they have painted the Taxi lift Yellow? The Green Mountain Flyer is at least Green.

Also to park in the Stateside parking lot to walk over to the Jet did not look easy.

Not to mention the three flights of stairs before the day visitor can even put their boots on.

The "black chair" is a new one for me. The Jet is either "the Jet," "the triple" or "the blue" in our world. But changing the Red Chair to Green will definitely mess people up. Not a good move. So much for "the unchangeables."

On a positive note, the 242 is freshly paved and smooth as a baby's bottom from the top of Jay Pass to Montgomery. Unbelievable but true.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Did they repaint the entire Bonnie or just the base terminal and a few of the towers? If they did a complete repaint, that does not bode well....unless they plan to leave it in as a back-up for the new six-pack or reuse it elsewhere.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The "black chair" is a new one for me. The Jet is either "the Jet," "the triple" or "the blue" in our world. But changing the Red Chair to Green will definitely mess people up. Not a good move. So much for "the unchangeables."
Well technically, 8 months ago, that chair was going to be removed. The probably saved some money painting it the same color as the other lifts. Painting it red would make it harder to reuse/sell and red paint typically doesn't weather real well.

dlague

I have skied Jay all of my life and I can not say that the color ever confused me! When they added Taxi we did an extra assessment and adjusted quickly. I am sure after a run or two it will be business as usual!

JPTracker

Did they repaint the entire Bonnie or just the base terminal and a few of the towers? If they did a complete repaint, that does not bode well....unless they plan to leave it in as a back-up for the new six-pack or reuse it elsewhere.

They painted the entire thing including all the towers and the top terminal.

Well technically, 8 months ago, that chair was going to be removed. The probably saved some money painting it the same color as the other lifts. Painting it red would make it harder to reuse/sell and red paint typically doesn't weather real well.

All good points and very practical thinking. Some of us are just a bit stuck in our ways.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
How far up the hill is the new base of the Bonny? Here is an image from Google Earth showing the new hotel/lodge the Bonnaventure lift line and the Taxi Quad. The yellow line is from tower 1 back to the old base terminal which I'm sure are both gone. The red line starts at tower 1. Is the new terminal located where tower 1 is in the picture or did they move it up above that road that cuts under the line between towers 1 and 2?

JPTracker

To the left of tower 2 just under the horz red line you can see the bottom of Angles Wiggle and the trees that border it. The new location is between tower 2 and the end of these trees. So if you come out the bottom of Angles Wiggle you will have to go around behind the lift then hike slightly back up hill to get to the lift.