• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

tnt

Yes, that's generally how it works. Alta has one for their triple and they added the conveyor belt to an existing lift. Most fixed grips can actually go faster than they do...it's just resorts run them slower for loading and unloading...and with this feature they can speed up an existing fixed grip lift. That said there might be some other modifications that might be needed.

And as to the wind question: all lifts are vulnerable especially with cross-winds. Just look at how often the GMF is closed at JPR. Bonnie is somewhat sheltered (below the ridge) and the top of it just barely sits in the crest. So add some windfencing at the top of the lift and that would help instead of installing a new lift with a terminal higher up and more exposed.

I'm unclear on where the new lift terminates. It's running up Powerline, right?

So does it terminate right at the top of that, kind of IN northway, or cross over Northway and terminate opposite the JFK entrance? I think that would make more sense, right? Give easier access to all aspects.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I'm unclear on where the new lift terminates. It's running up Powerline, right?

So does it terminate right at the top of that, kind of IN northway, or cross over Northway and terminate opposite the JFK entrance? I think that would make more sense, right? Give easier access to all aspects.
It currently does not terminate anywhere :spin: And who knows if it ever will.

Last edited:

tnt

Very cool model.

Yeah, that unloading spot looks pretty ideal.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Very cool model.

Yeah, that unloading spot looks pretty ideal.

Folks can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the original double used to unload there. And it's pretty exposed....especially when they break over the ridgeline (Northway area) and head right for that landing. The prevailing wind blows from chair rider's right to left.

Sweet pictures, thanks for posting them. Seems like Jay Peak has been pretty hushed on the Bonny mods, probably so they don’t have to keep answering questions about the HS6 :razz:.
I agree that the layout isn’t perfect. There is only so much room to work with in that area without getting into the waterway set-backs. The two uphill traffic sources going to the lifts will be the Lodge doors/stairs from parking and the Hotel door. The Lodge door/stairs will likely be a bigger source of traffic (Purple lines) and the Hotel door (brown lines)fairly minor. As long as you can generally avoid the traffic of the purple lines, I think you will have a better route, which leads me to this question.

When coming down Chalet Meadows, is it possible to cut above the Taxi lift corral and then cut over to the Jet, taking advantage of the slope between the Taxi base and the Bonny base (revised light blue line)?
You would definitely have to slow a bit as you navigate around Taxi, but you should have a pretty good view of cross traffic as you head down past the Bonny (Note that I’ve only ever skied across from Tramside to the Jet via Chalet Meadows a couple times and that was on wind hold days). If slowing down to ski through the traffic is too much hassle, I guess you could always board the Taxi lift and then traverse over to Jet via the Kangaroo trail .:stirpot:

Whatever traffic issues there are going to be, I really think Stateside will have a really hard time reaching the level of the Tramside shit show when trying to navigate the crowds around the lifts. That area is a mess. Especially if you are trying to ski through to the tram.

As far as the lift corral, I’m not quite sure how they are going to work that for the Bonny. I’m guessing it will be built on that slope with the assistance of snowmaking. Maybe have three entries to the corral. One on the Lodge side (light green line), One Uphill side (dark green lines, one singles (yellow line). The RFID gate is the dark blue line.

That is awesome work. I was just thinking earlier this afternoon, "if I could draw diagrams like NEK, I would show the traffic patterns of the old layout compared to the new layout." Or something like like that. And you've done half of that anyways. My thinking was that in the old lodge days, traffic coming down Chalet Meadows would spread left if going to the lodge, centre if going to the Bonaventure and right if going to the jet (or recently, the Taxi). Now, everyone, except the Taxi riders, will head straight into the gap illustrated in your models.

Not sure if the Taxi ski-around will work. Maybe. I would have to be on the snow to figure that out. I like the idea of going up Taxi and down Kangaroo and Lower Sweetheart, that is a fun route.

Agreed that Tramside is a mess but it is a slow moving mess, here you will have people skiing at trail speed mixing with uphill hikers and skiers traversing. We shall see.

Last edited:
Folks can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the original double used to unload there. And it's pretty exposed....especially when they break over the ridgeline (Northway area) and head right for that landing. The prevailing wind blows from chair rider's right to left.

Correct. See also page one of this thread, in which you said "So it is "Back to the Future" in the sense that the Jet and Bonnie will go on what were the original lift lines back in the day--the UN I believe used to be the old T-Bar and the Powerline was the old double."

thetrailboss

Staff member
Correct. See also page one of this thread, in which you said "So it is "Back to the Future" in the sense that the Jet and Bonnie will go on what were the original lift lines back in the day--the UN I believe used to be the old T-Bar and the Powerline was the old double."

Sounds about right.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That is awesome work. I was just thinking earlier this afternoon, "if I could draw diagrams like NEK, I would show the traffic patterns of the old layout compared to the new layout." Or something like like that. And you've done half of that anyways. My thinking was that in the old lodge days, traffic coming down Chalet Meadows would spread left if going to the lodge, centre if going to the Bonaventure and right if going to the jet (or recently, the Taxi). Now, everyone, except the Taxi riders, will head straight into the gap illustrated in your models.

Not sure if the Taxi ski-around will work. Maybe. I would have to be on the snow to figure that out. I like the idea of going up Taxi and down Kangaroo and Lower Sweetheart, that is a fun route.

Agreed that Tramside is a mess but it is a slow moving mess, here you will have people skiing at trail speed mixing with uphill hikers and skiers traversing. We shall see.

Darwinism at work on the ski slopes perhaps?

xwhaler

those are probably the cheapest rates in the state outside of Middlebury, Bolton and Cochrans

Magic is $118 FWIW (regular $59 rate for adults and kids under 5 ski free)
They do have $49 tickets every Sunday for NH/VT residents.

Pico is $130 for the 2 adults/kid under 6. That said $130 for Jay does seem a good deal for Vt families when compared to other mtns its size/scope in VT being much more.

Jay charges $16 for kids 5 and under to ski...not sure I've seen too many mtns that charge anything for kids under 5 to be honest. Though I haven;t spent much time looking.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Okay add magic and pico. But there certainly isn't a ski area of Jays magnitude in Vermont and very few in the Northeast offering such a value especially one geared towards locals.

Because of that I don't understand kingdomteles whining especially when jay is a business that has no obligation to make their product affordable. If anything they should be praised for making an effort.

Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

I agree w/ you----having a local discount every day of the week is good business. Most places that offer the locals discount offer it only on select days I've noticed. Pico is $29 every Friday for NH/VT residents as an example.
I could do without Jay charging $16 for a kid under 5 to stand on the carpet for an hour or so but as you mentioned they are a business.
Saddleback has $29 Maine resident days one Sunday per month which gives them good business.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Here's an idea that would work given the fact that they are keeping the Bonnie for now and folks are lukewarm about having the HS-6 go higher (and be exposed to wind) and not to mention cost:

Jay should upgrade the Bonnie and do one of these:

sl86.jpg

https://www.sugarloaf.com/corporate/media/PressReleases/Present/2011/Skyline_Opening.html

Problem solved. (Can I get my paycheck now, Steve and Bill Stenger ;) ? )

I'm not very good on those lifts :lol:

fbrissette

Okay add magic and pico. But there certainly isn't a ski area of Jays magnitude in Vermont and very few in the Northeast offering such a value especially one geared towards locals.

Because of that I don't understand kingdomteles whining especially when jay is a business that has no obligation to make their product affordable. If anything they should be praised for making an effort.

The only way to make skiing affordable for a family is with season passes. Jay charges 16$ per day for a 5 year old, but the season pass is 30$. As per the above example, it is 130$ for two parents and a 5 year old to ski one day. For about 1300$ you get three season passes at Jay (Vermonter rate). 10 days of skiing and you're even. 20 days at 70$/day. 30 days at 43$ per day. 40 days at 35$ per day.

I consider Jay relatively cheap when compared to other big eastern mountains, especially for season passes.

kingdom-tele

not whining DHS, I can easily go somewhere else or do other activities, and do. Your right, J has every right to charge whatever they like. In fact, I happily purchased a mid week pass last spring for my solo ski time.

It was only a remark on this year's price. A statement reflecting an industry that, much like other recreational services, is gladly leaving behind a large portion of the public who might be interested in the atmosphere of resort skiing, especially one 15 miles from your front door. The complexity they add will come at a price, the places remaining that keep skiing non complex and accessible are dying, as the list your making indicates. Skiing for a day with your wife and daughter for the price of a cord of wood is what it is. It just doesn't seem necessary, my opinion ofcourse.

You applying your perception to my comment is more akin to whining.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Call it a draw. I'm whining about your whining about cost and I've whined in the past about your constant whining about development or change of any kind in your neck of the woods.

deadheadskier

Staff member
And why not whine about the cost of a cord of wood? Loggers need to make a li inch just like ski industry professionals. :p