• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Press Release/E-mailing

thetrailboss

Staff member
I just got this regarding Jay's opening plans. As usual, very detailed and informative. Bill Stenger does a great job keeping us up to date, though the opening drill is largely the same as year's past. Enjoy.

No Cannon this weekend :cry:, though their website is very nice. I'll have to wait one more week I guess.

Took the skis to the shop and did some work on the other pairs, so I'll be ready. Happy Turkey Day.

Message from Bill Stenger - Opening Plans
Jay Peak Will Open This Friday, November 26th
Our 50th anniversary of skiing and riding at Jay Peak is about to begin!

With weather forecasts for later in the week trending back toward winter, Jay Peak will resume snowmaking on Thursday night and have good running temperatures for most of the weekend.

Ten days ago, we had a stretch of good snowmaking weather where we made piles of snow in the Jet and Chalet Meadows next to the Stateside Chalet. Throughout the recent mild weather that snow has withstood the thaw and will provide us with enough remaining to open for the season on Friday, November 26th – the day after US Thanksgiving.

As I mentioned, we will resume snowmaking on Thursday night and will continue to focus on Stateside hitting the Haynes, Chalet Meadows and Mont L’Entrepide below the Haynes (aka the Open Slope), and Racoon Run in the Jay Peak Village. The forecast calls for snow showers and perhaps some meaningful accumulation during the weekend so surface conditions will benefit from this for sure. Some forecasts are calling for as much as 5” to 10” over the weekend.

By Monday, November 29th we will shift our efforts to the Tramside of the mountain and work on the slope network from the top on the mountain and working our way down. We will make snow on the upper part of Northway, Upper and Lower Goat Run, Lower Quai, and the Interstate. Once we get a network off the summit open we will branch off the Northway to Angel’s Wiggle and Ullr’s Dream networks.

We will attempt to have some trails open on Tramside by December 4th or 5th. I will caveat that by also saying that it is difficult to predict more than 5 to 7 days ahead because weather is so changeable at this time of year.

Our goal is to have a substantial network open by the holidays and by that we mean 80% of our terrain. Mother Nature plays an important role at Jay and natural snow is important, especially in December. December and March are Jay Peak’s biggest natural snow months.

One priority in our snowmaking plan is to get a substantial part of The Park open by the holidays. That means the lower Can Am trail will be addressed before Christmas. We will try to incorporate terrain features in our opening weekend as well, by installing a rail or two on Chalet Meadows. Our park plans on lower CanAm will be aggressive and we plan to make The Park one of the region’s best.

So that’s the opening plan – and I stress the word “plan”. Often temperature inversions, wind conditions, and duration of cold periods all impact where and for how long we can make snow.

If you have any questions about snowmaking, our opening, plans, etc. please let me know at stenger@jaypeakresort.com

We will be open Friday, November 26th at 9:00am, and Saturday and Sunday from 8:30am. We plan to be open daily from then on. Stay tuned to the Snow Report at jaypeakresort.com for up to date information on weather and conditions.

Sincerely,

Bill Stenger

President - Jay Peak Resort

Last Updated Nov 23, 04:47 PM EST
WEATHER Partly Cloudy
TEMPERATURE 41F/5C
WEEKEND TRAILS 2
WEEKEND LIFTS