• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak - 1/31/04

skijay

Date Skied: 1/31/04 (9am to 2pm)

Resort: Jiminy Peak

Conditions: Windy! varying condtions: packed snow, wind blown loose snow, scratchy surfaces, few ice patches

Report:

My first impression of Jiminy was, "it’s a mini Stratton". The last time I was here the Crane lodge had no buildings in front of it. I think this was April of 2002. My leaving impression, "it’s a mini Stratton".
Will I ski Jiminy Peak again??...You bet I will!!

We took the 6 pack (Berkshire Express) to the top. At about 9:00am, there were only about 5 groups of people in line at the lift. We took the Left Bank trail to Q1 Quad. No Lines. We skied (Wild Turkey, Cutter,Upper Whitetail, Bear Crossing). I liked Cutter so we did a few runs on it. Jiminy has got some steep terrain! Lot of scratchy surfaces. It is almost as if the fresh snow they received got packed down or blew away as there a lot of snow drifts in the woods.

Went over to the Widow White’s Quad and skied Noreaster, Panorama, Out to Sea. There were no lift lines here so we did several runs from this lift.

After a trip to the lodge we headed up the Triple Chair. There were no lift lines. It seems everybody was using the 6 pack lift. We made about 5 runs from down from this lift. West Way, Lower Glade, North Glade. I like how there are many "switchback" trails at Jiminy.

The last run of the day was Upper Whirlway/ Lower Exhibition from the 6 pack lift. The line was huge at the 6 pack lift. To my surprise it took only 4 minutes to get to the chair! The lifties do a great job in "herding" people into groups of 6!

It was a great day. If you got thirsty there was the free samples of SoBe. Did I mention it was windy?

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for the detailed report, skijay. That six really does move. I'll be there tomorrow. Hopin' the winds dies down a bit...

skijay

I did the Berkshire Spur to 22 to 43 route to Jiminy and on the way back to rt 7 to the Pike.

Rt 7 is quicker even with the light traffic in and around Pittsfield.