• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

K-Mart is trying to open tomorrow, 11/2

loafer89

NOAA temperature forecasts do indeed show a warmup with above normal temperatures for the 8-14th of November with a big trough in the west.:angry: :x .

Accuweather forecasts rain next thursday and temps in the 50's for the weekend.:smash: :uzi: :flame:

Greg

Staff member
NOAA temperature forecasts do indeed show a warmup with above normal temperatures for the 8-14th of November with a big trough in the west.:angry: :x .

Accuweather forecasts rain next thursday and temps in the 50's for the weekend.:smash: :uzi: :flame:

We need to have faith in times like these... :)

Joshua

I wonder if this will change any snow making plans for the resorts if they hear the same stuff we are

Greg

Staff member
I wonder if this will change any snow making plans for the resorts if they hear the same stuff we are

What do you mean? The extended forecast?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sorry folks, but accuweather is one of the worst forecast services out there. I would not put much faith in that one, let alone any forecast beyond 3-5 days or so.

Greg

Staff member
yes, the extended

Well for one, mountain opps are going to be monitoring short and long term forecasts a helluva lot more closely than we do so they're already aware of the predicted slight warming next week (which again I choose to ignore at this point). With that said, I think as long as they can open and stay open through it, they'll pull the trigger. Resurfacing temps at night is all they need...

TwinTips21

All of you who think the long range forecasts are wrong will be made believers when the end of next week namely around Wednesday and Thursday there will be a dramatic warm-up most likely accompanied by rain. Someone bookmark this thread, we'll see if long range forecasts give you a good idea of whats going to happen. Yea the temperatures may be off by a few degrees and the timing might be off by 12-24 hours but it gives you a great idea of what's going to happen!

Joshua

SpinMaster, is Killington concerned at all about the mild long range outlook for the mid to second half of November?

Joshua

oh, they will def. open on thanksgiving, but will they delay opening until then to preserve what they lay down this week/end? hmmm, only the SpinMaster knows

klrskiah

it seems like sundayriver is trying to open before next friday, they took the "opening nov 10th" off their site

"If the forecast holds. If the forecast holds. If the forecast holds. I can only tell you what I'm about to tell you, if you promise to understand that it is all contingent upon the forecast holding. So, IF the forecast holds, we plan to make snow starting Thursday night right through the weekend. How much we lay down during that period will be highly dependent upon temperature variations of only a few degrees. 28 is bad, 23 is good. We'll likely see a bit of both. The next question that you're asking is one that I'm not even going to try and answer at this point, but needless to say, SOON is the answer to "when will you open?". If you don't have your Maine Student Pass, mEticket or New England Value Card, now would be a good time."

"Snowmaking Possibilities
The game plan is to attack Barker and South Ridge when the temps allow. Trails like Ecstacy, Cascades, Lazy River, Broadway, Easy Street and maybe even Jungle Road and Upper Punch are on the hit list for our snowmakers. Whatever ya'll can do to make temps drop even one more degree over the weekend is appreciated. Eat a salad for dinner instead of firing up the grill. It's worth a shot. We'll have steady updates on our website once the snowmaking kicks in. Time to tune in. "

ChileMass

The word from my source @ Mt Sneaux is that kmart is trying to open tomorrow. The forcast for night time temps @ Sneaux are for around 20 degrees for the next 5 nights which should give better temps @ K.

Dave - buddy - you gotta remember to open the door and get some fresh air inside the garage when you're running the propane heater, dude. Friends don't let friends type stoned............;)

PS - I hope you're right.......