• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 10/29/2005

Joshua

First of all, I want to say that if I died today I would be a happy man.

Here is my trip report:

Killingyon was SIMPLY AMAZING! Drove up last night and stayed in Rutland. There was no snow until Killington Road, and then it turned into a Winter wonderland. Was probably the 15th car in the lot at 7am. Temp was about 32 at base and 28 at peak. Purchased the 2nd ticket of the season (some guy was waiting since 6:30 and he bought the first ticket.) People were already in line when I got there but the first person wasnt allowed on the gondola until 8:25.

The mountain looked like mid-winter. There were rumors Killington had between 10 and 22 trials open but I swear the whole mountain looked skiable from above. My Skis hit the snow about 8:45 and it was soft packed powder. Skied on down towards the glades and the triple and then came back down under the lift and there was tons of fresh powder on the sides of the trails.

Did this three times and then the glades triple died right after (opened up 30 minutes later) that run but the snowdon quad was running and this is where I discovered the mother load. Fresh powder everyhere! After coming down twice under the quad on Chute I decided it was time to duck a few ropes and dragged a nice kid I met up there into the woods in Low Rider! HOLY COW, AMAZING! THREE FEET OF UNTOUCHED POWDER AND it was only half way down that I realized I was tree skiing on October 29th!!

I took three runs down Low Rider and then broke for lunch around 11.

After lunch, I heard some people talking that the other side of the peak was skiable and that people were ducking ropes over there without a problem, so I checked it out. All the bigeys looked skiable (cascade, escapade, etc) but i decided not to go down these but did go down superstar. I saw three or four people go down super star so I decided to do it. It had a lot of powder, but was a little crusted over. By this time, my legs were cramping bad, but i traversed down and went back to the gondola.

I took one more run down towards the glades, and then called it a day. Four hours of hard skiing, beautiful weather, and even TREE SKIING! I took an enitire roll of pics and will develop them and post on Monday.

Absolutely a great skiing day!

Zand

I wish this could've happened next year. I'll be able to drive this time next year. Now, I'm stuck at home reading this because both the parents work most weekends. I'm hoping I can get an overnighter in at Killington November 13th-14th.

Greg

Staff member
Nice report, Joshua. All the teasing from last week aside, congrats on a great start to the season! Looking forward to the pics. :beer:

awf170

Zand said:
I wish this could've happened next year. I'll be able to drive this time next year. Now, I'm stuck at home reading this because both the parents work most weekends. I'm hoping I can get an overnighter in at Killington November 13th-14th.

wow, I thinking the same exact thing, except I would of went to wildcat...

Zand

I would have gone to both. :wink: Next year, the first thing I'm getting is a freakin All East Pass. I can finally go somewhere outside of Wachusett more than 5 times.

Crock

Joshua said:
After coming down twice under the quad on Chute I decided it was time to duck a few ropes and dragged a nice kid I met up there into the woods in Low Rider!

haha I wouldn't call it "dragging" me in there. On a day like that, it doesn't take much persuasion to duck a rope.