• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington condition?

abc

I know this is the tail end of the season. So even though a few people might still be skiing they're not necessarily posting any trip reports thinking no one cares. Well, I am!

I'll be up near the area on the weekend and have Sunday free. I'm tempted to go try Killington since they have liftopia ticket for $30. But the forecast say it's going to be in the 60's (night time temp is above freezing). I've never skied in such high temperature. Will it be a slush fest?

I would be specially interested if anyone skied Killington the last couple of days in similar weather, or anyone who ski today and tomorrow. I would be curious in how the condition is.

At the minimum, I could use some guidance on the time frame I should hit certain trail, like ski from first chair till noon and call it quits? Or will the bumps still need a few hours before they're fun and stay good till say mid-afternoon?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Hard to predict, but imagine there will be nice soft mounds of hero snow, love skiing in this kind of weather. Timeframe, all depends what you like, more groomed in the morning, but quickly bumped up by afternoon.

abc

Timeframe, all depends what you like
I like soft snow just like most people! :D

Up to a point, that is. I can handle watery slush but it's not what I look for. More "getting through" them rather than having fun kind of skiing.

I've done a fair bit (and like) hard bumps soften-up on the top layer. The piles of randomly pushed together snow, not quite as much.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I like soft snow just like most people! :D

Up to a point, that is. I can handle watery slush but it's not what I look for. More "getting through" them rather than having fun kind of skiing.

I've done a fair bit (and like) hard bumps soften-up on the top layer. The piles of randomly pushed together snow, not quite as much.

You shouldn't find slush on the advanced bumped up trails. That would be mostly on flat run outs or greens, neither of which you should find too much of. I for one would not want to miss this weekend.

Gilligan

liftopia ticket for $30 -plus- I've never skied in such high temperature.
Is there ever a better time to give it a try?

Some do not like it, but for many it is their favorite time of year.

abc

Ok, ok... I'm easy to convince. :D

I like spring skiing. But most of them were when it's 40's and 50's. At the high end of the temperature range, there's a lot of slush pretty early in the day (by which I mean like, noon). So if that's the case, I need to get cracking to do first chair till noon.

I actually did one trip when it was that high temperature, at Banff. I didn't exactly enjoy it. Odd thing being, it being out west, there were no bumps. So it's either groomed or big random piles of snow with rocks poking through. The sun came out way early and it was HOT as hell too!

Cornhead

It'll be great! Don't forget your sunblock! See you there!

bigbob

Skied it today, not bad, even a few snow flurries. Come get it before it is gone. Mnt will shrink after this weekend!

Cornhead

You're hitting big K this weekend too? That's cool! I'll very likely be there. That is, provided I don't drown in the Permi Saturday (class III white water) ;-)

Yes, Rambo and I are coming up for the day Sunday. Good luck on the not drowning, never done any white water, sounds like fun. I live on, sometimes in, the Susquehanna in Binghamton. I own an old Sawyer DY Special, virtually a kayak, I paddle it with a kayak paddle, strictly a flat water boat. I'll keep an eye out for you Sunday, I still have your number, I'll give you a call, it'll be great! Are you a Spiedie virgin? Sounds like an oxymoron, they're a local delicacy, thinking of bringing some along...I am the Spiedie ambassador! :wink:

Skimaine

Mmm Spiedies. University of Binghamton alum. Big fan of Sharkies. I will be at K on Saturday.

Cornhead

Mmm Spiedies. University of Binghamton alum. Big fan of Sharkies. I will be at K on Saturday.

Damn, sorry you won't be there Sunday, I could hook you up. I'll be bringing Spiedies from Lupo's S&S Charpit on State Street. Have fun on Saturday, I'm sure you will.:wink:

Haven't been to Sharkies in years, used to go there back in my drinking days. They had lots of good specials, different one every night, I can remember the kielbasa baskets, and fish fry on Fridays. Did you ever go to Yonda's, just down the street? That place was a trip, they never took any decorations down, "A bar for all seasons". We used to go there to get "primed", 50¢ mixed drinks! It was the early 80's, but still crazy. Sadly, it's no longer in business. I remember parking out front with someone who'd never been in December. They said, "Check it out, they still have Halloween decorations in the window." To which I replied, "You ain't seen nothin yet.":wink:

Skimaine

Damn, sorry you won't be there Sunday, I could hook you up. I'll be bringing Spiedies from Lupo's S&S Charpit on State Street. Have fun on Saturday, I'm sure you will.:wink:

Haven't been to Sharkies in years, used to go there back in my drinking days. They had lots of good specials, different one every night, I can remember the kielbasa baskets, and fish fry on Fridays. Did you ever go to Yonda's, just down the street? That place was a trip, they never took any decorations down, "A bar for all seasons". We used to go there to get "primed", 50¢ mixed drinks! It was the early 80's, but still crazy. Sadly, it's no longer in business. I remember parking out front with someone who'd never been in December. They said, "Check it out, they still have Halloween decorations in the window." To which I replied, "You ain't seen nothin yet.":wink:

I have been to Yonda's! It never became one of our regular haunts, but it was an interesting place. '78 to '82 was my time in Binghamton. I took my nearly grown kids to Sharkies a few years ago. Nothing has changed right down to the shuffle board bowling. I instructed my kids how to properly de-skew the Spiedies in a fresh piece of bread. One of their more important life's lessons.

ScottySkis

That food was awesome. I was lucky enough to eat at Elk this past year, so good that when I dropped it on the road I still ate it, have fun at K who ever gets up their this weekend and please ski some for runs for me, great munchies food.

Cornhead

Yes, use the slice of Roma's bread like an oven mitt to grab the cubes of goodness! Spiedie subs have grown in popularity, S&S serves them like that. They do make an awesome sub. I like cheese, mushrooms, and BBQ sauce, yum. Place called The Spiedie & Rib Pit has an awesome Spiedie Gyro, cheap too $4.50.

If you look up "dive" in the dictionary, or search Google images, you'll see a picture of Yonda's, I'm sure.:wink: How about Lubner's, ever make it over there? It was by Red's Kettle Inn, across from the old CFJ park. Another cool dive, when you walked in the front door, you saw a set of several steps that went to a raised back bar. The bar itself was L shaped and to the right. If you walked up the steps there was an old sofa positioned so that if you sat there, it was as if the bar were a coffee table. It was cool to sit there. Don't know if they're in business still.

That whole area used to be pretty cool, used to be the "Clinton Street Run", try to drink a shot and beer in each bar on Clinton St., good luck, used to be a bunch.

Yes, conditions at Killington should be superb this weekend, finally some real Spring skiing! Stoked!

Rambo

Friday ski report from Basin Ski:
http://www.basinski.com/2013/04/killington-snow-report-friday-april-26/
8.jpg