• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington condition?

Gilligan

trollolol

you got me Gilligan :rolleyes:
If I remember tomorrow I will make a run down it. Honestly though, when you have all those feet of depth on Superstar and Skylark right next door, why bother with Upper Ovation? Lower O I would understand...

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I remember tomorrow I will make a run down it. Honestly though, when you have all those feet of depth on Superstar and Skylark right next door, why bother with Upper Ovation? Lower O I would understand...

Because I like it the best of the four in the spring time when it narrows down. I'm not a fan of super wide boulevard trails. It also doesn't get groomed in the spring, so the bumps tend to be better than the upper portions of the other trails. After the Headwall, middle SS tends to be GS bumps, same goes for Bittersweet and Upper Skylark. When it's still open, I like to ski Upper Ovation to Lower SS.

Cornhead

Thanks for the pics everyone, looks awesome! So stoked to enjoy some true Spring skiing tomorrow. I had to work 8 hrs yesterday, knowing I'd be skiing Sunday sure made the bitter pill of having to work on such a gorgeous day easier to swallow. Abc, so glad you survived your white water adventure, Spiedies are in the fridge! See you tomorrow, um I mean later today. :wink:

skiadikt

upper o skied great sat. they'll probably be some walking getting back to supe. as for monday will let u know tonight. going fast.

mister moose

Monday will just have SSQ running yes?

How's Upper Ovation hanging on? Should I expect it to be open in addition to Superstar, Skylark and Bittersweet?

There's an app for that you know. http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=1

To your question, Upper O has not even hinted at bottoming out in the troughs. The entry will continue to get dicey. Middle O has some grassy spots showing and one area that won't make it to Monday. Might be SWR. The exit is currently a celery stalk being fed by a shoveler.

There should still be a 5th choice on Monday.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Amazing to say but it looks alot like last weekend from the photos.

Although there is great snow in a number of spots, they have build up the base on Skype with what I perceive is the intent to stay open until June. That said, I would think conditions will not change too much in the next week or two.

Savemeasammy

I'm not sure how much longer Ovation can last. Entering the upper part from Nivis Walk was pretty sketchy. Some of the troughs in the middle section were getting thin, and the runout must require a walk by now (unless they haul in some snow...). The other runs on Skye Peak were in pretty good shape. It was a great day at The Beast! There were a lot of good skiers out ripping the seeded lines.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I'm not sure how much longer Ovation can last. Entering the upper part from Nivis Walk was pretty sketchy. Some of the troughs in the middle section were getting thin, and the runout must require a walk by now (unless they haul in some snow...). The other runs on Skye Peak were in pretty good shape. It was a great day at The Beast! There were a lot of good skiers out ripping the seeded lines.

I don't anticipate them trying to keep Ovation going Superstar Skylark/Bittersweet will probably get all the loving moving forward. To, makes sense.

abc

Met up with Cornhead, Rambo(?) toay and rip up big K good! Superstar side is the better condition. Though the Canyon and K1 help to provide more variety. Upper Ovation is getting pretty scratchy (lower is closed). The cut over back to Superstar requires a 5 ft walk after lunch. Probably be a 10 feet walk by 5 pm. I'm sure Cornhead will add photo in due course (when he catches up on sleep after the crazy long day toay).

Rambo

Trip report, Killington, Sun. 4/28/13:

Cornhead and I left Binghamton NY at just after 4:00 am and arrived Killington at about 8:10 am. Aboard the K1 gondola at 8:34 am. Lift tics where $49 - with 25% additional discount if you show a lift ticket or a seasons pass from another ski area. We got our tic's from liftopia for $31. Did a run or two then meet up with ABC. The Beast of the East is back, big time. Machine made snow base on Superstar is MASSIVE - like an average of 5ft. to 13+ ft. with base stockpiled in mounds along the way. The very top of Superstar is a 30 - 40 foot deep HUGE, HUGE, HUGE mound of snow. Also Skylark and Bittersweet also have tons of snow for base. Temps got up to 62 in the shade and a good 70 in the bright sun. Took a lunch break at 12:20 and Cornhead grilled up a bunch of speedies. Base only got a little mushy/slushy. What a totally fantastic warm/hot ski day. I stopped skiing at 3:45, with my legs exhausted... Cornhead went till 5:00 - Ironman.

Rambo

Here are a few pics:

East Fall trail - off of Killington Peak
002.jpg

Superstar
017.jpg

Cornhead grilling, the "Speedie ambassador"
and ABC at lunch break
015.jpg

Superstar
025.jpg

031.jpg

skiadikt

skied o late sunday. still thought it skied great though i expect by monday there will be 2 breaks. also walking to get out. ski patrol was actually shoveling snow on it in the morning.

btw middle vertigo is sooo worth it though there's walking involved.