• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington is going to open before Sunday River this season.

drjeff

I'm wondering if this solution is really that much less of a liability than the trucks....

Exactly! I mean how many times have we all seen folks walking in the lodge in ski boots wipe out?? Let alone up on the side of a mountain with atleast for a section of that walkway some blow-over manmade. I'm guessing minimum when the walkway is done, they'll be a nice surface layer of some abrassive/tacky covering

skiadikt

I'm wondering if this solution is really that much less of a liability than the trucks....

the metal cheese grater stairway that leads to catwalk would have been a lot more expensive but would have been "safer."

Greg

Staff member
It's probably been discussed, but can you reasonably download on the Canyon Quad? Running trucks to the canyon to upload/download seems no more "risky".

Not that I give a crap. I'm totally looking forward to using the walkway, but it's definitely going to be interestiong to see how people handle it. Is the plan to ski off the summit, or will there be back and forth traffic on the walkway? The former, I'd imagine.

skiadikt

It's probably been discussed, but can you reasonably download on the Canyon Quad? Running trucks to the canyon to upload/download seems no more "risky".

Not that I give a crap. I'm totally looking forward to using the walkway, but it's definitely going to be interestiong to see how people handle it. Is the plan to ski off the summit, or will there be back and forth traffic on the walkway? The former, I'd imagine.

actually they did download on the canyon quad during one of those "trucking" early seasons. might have been the last season.

haven't heard anything yet about a plan, but i'd assume they'd blow & open great northern into the north ridge area as usual but obviously with the stairway they don't necessarily have to do it.

and for those who don't remember the truckin days:

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member

I was assuming they'd plan to ski off the summit and only use the walkway to get back up. It doesn't look wide enough to support much two way traffic...

vonski

If i am able to make it. I will bring a back pack with lunch and goodies and my hiking boots or sneakers in it. Stash the pack in the woods while skiing and change out of my ski boots to walk the walk back to gondola! Bring the harness for the skis to carry them on my back as well.

Tin Woodsman

Update on the walkway, looks like they might need some railings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

x62.jpg

Link to a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

I love how some people thought it was just going to be resting on the ground.

Highway Star - are you the new Skiing Snow?

Newpylong

I don't even know how it would be questionable. Of course it's going to be ski down to the Glades, only walk up.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't even know how it would be questionable. Of course it's going to be ski down to the Glades, only walk up.

Scenario:

Snowmaking window pops up. Guns are blasting on Rime and Great Northern. Great Northern isn't quite ready, but Rime is.

Sunday River is looking to open T2 for the afternoon to kick start the season. K wants the early season title. Why wouldn't you open the walkway from the Peak down to Rime to get going?????

In a perfect world the Great Northern connect over will be ready to go, but if it's not, Rime is, and K wants to offer skiing, why wouldn't they let people walk down the 'Stairway to Heaven'??

Highway Star

In a perfect world the Great Northern connect over will be ready to go, but if it's not, Rime is, and K wants to offer skiing, why wouldn't they let people walk down the 'Stairway to Heaven'??

Those are some pretty serious stairs. I wouldn't want to walk down them carrying ski gear. Really. I'm actually suprised they didn't use less steep stairs. We'll see.

The loop around up top isn't that far for them to make snow. Compared to the amount to get Rime open with a base they would consider acceptable these days, the link is a small fraction of that.

Plus, there's ways to shorten that route somewhat if they really wanted to - go from the side of the summit lodge down that trail fragment below the lodge stairs, to GN briefly, then have people walk up high traverse to Rime. Just a thought.

Not to mention, I doubt they would open with Rime only anyway, it would probably be at least Rime, Reason and Upper East Fall....and possibly Upper Dipper, Powerline, "middle" GN, lower ridge run, and maybe even Upper Downdraft to hike to. Also, I think you would see most of those trails pretty well buried before they would expand down to the bottom...IMHO.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Those are some pretty serious stairs. I wouldn't want to walk down them carrying ski gear. Really. I'm actually suprised they didn't use less steep stairs. We'll see.

The loop around up top isn't that far for them to make snow. Compared to the amount to get Rime open with a base they would consider acceptable these days, the link is a small fraction of that.

Not to mention, I doubt they would open with Rime only anyway, it would probably be at least Rime, Reason and Upper East Fall....and possibly Upper Dipper, Powerline, "middle" GN, lower ridge run, and maybe even Upper Downdraft to hike to. Also, I think you would see most of those trails pretty well buried before they would expand down to the bottom...IMHO.

I'll take your word for it. You're the early season K Strategy pro :daffy:

I've got no skin in the game. I'll be over at SR skiing the same early season quality WROD product for half the cost. :spread:

Highway Star

actually they did download on the canyon quad during one of those "trucking" early seasons. might have been the last season.

haven't heard anything yet about a plan, but i'd assume they'd blow & open great northern into the north ridge area as usual but obviously with the stairway they don't necessarily have to do it.

and for those who don't remember the truckin days:

I rode the canyon quad for truckfest '99, IIRC.

I'd be curious what day that was in the video. They opened Oct 22nd in 1998. I'm wondering if that was after a bit of a melt out or if they just didn't blow that much snow for the opening.

Last few years they made like....20x more snow than that to open top to bottom....effectively 2 weeks later. But even in late October they had much more snow than that on Rime. I would hope they could find a good balance between opening early with dirt skiing vs. quality product.

millerm277

Last few years they made like....20x more snow than that to open top to bottom....effectively 2 weeks later. But even in late October they had much more snow than that on Rime. I would hope they could find a good balance between opening early with dirt skiing vs. quality product.

Personally, I'm fine with dirt skiing. Tell us accordingly, and price it accordingly, and as long as the surface bears some resemblance to something frozen, we're good.

I don't see the "requirement" for it to be a high-quality product before opening, as long as we're informed of exactly what it is and you're not charging $50 for brown snow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Personally, I'm fine with dirt skiing. Tell us accordingly, and price it accordingly, and as long as the surface bears some resemblance to something frozen, we're good.

I don't see the "requirement" for it to be a high-quality product before opening, as long as we're informed of exactly what it is and you're not charging $50 for brown snow.

correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been $60-$65 for WROD skiing the past couple of seasons?