• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington is going to open before Sunday River this season.

Highway Star

correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been $60-$65 for WROD skiing the past couple of seasons?

Top to bottom off the K-1, plus extra trail sections, with good snow cover and quality. I've been very impressed with Killington's openings...............just not the date.

I think they can find a good balance between opening a couple (or more) weeks earlier, while not skiing on crap.

...........and staying open throughout November, it always seems like we would always lose 2 weekends in Nov.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Top to bottom off the K-1, plus extra trail sections, with good snow cover and quality. I've been very impressed with Killington's openings...............just not the date.

I think they can find a good balance between opening a couple (or more) weeks earlier, while not skiing on crap.

Fair enough

I just know it's always been about half the cost for a similar product at SR the past couple of seasons. For a Boston Area skier like me, the choice is pretty simple where to go.

That said, I have heard they've been packed on the weekends at K early season. So maybe people other than myself don't mind paying $65 for 10-15 acres of terrain with marginal snow conditions.

skiadikt

I rode the canyon quad for truckfest '99, IIRC.

I'd be curious what day that was in the video. They opened Oct 22nd in 1998. I'm wondering if that was after a bit of a melt out or if they just didn't blow that much snow for the opening.

Last few years they made like....20x more snow than that to open top to bottom....effectively 2 weeks later. But even in late October they had much more snow than that on Rime. I would hope they could find a good balance between opening early with dirt skiing vs. quality product.

that was the saturday oct 24. i remember that day being very warm. by the end of the day there was more brown than white. they did not open for the sunday.

Highway Star

that was the saturday oct 24. i remember that day being very warm. by the end of the day there was more brown than white. they did not open for the sunday.

Interesting. I've seen more snow on Rime in late October, several years.

millerm277

correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been $60-$65 for WROD skiing the past couple of seasons?

Not really sure, but I definitely heard at least $50. (Depending on the season I usually have either had a pass or some type of discount card/discounted tickets, so I don't pay a ton of attention.)

On the other hand, they've had plenty of people there early season with those prices, so I can't entirely blame them.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Fair enough

I just know it's always been about half the cost for a similar product at SR the past couple of seasons. For a Boston Area skier like me, the choice is pretty simple where to go.

That said, I have heard they've been packed on the weekends at K early season. So maybe people other than myself don't mind paying $65 for 10-15 acres of terrain with marginal snow conditions.
Not that I am big on defending Killington. Their recent early season prices are hardly worth the product offered. But the product Killington starts the season with blows away Sunday River's early season offering. Killington usually opens with two full trails off the Glades Triple (both longer than T2), a full mountain of vertical via a Gondi (instead of stop and go uploading on the Locke Triple), and significantly more acres. Even if you extend it out to when Sunday River can go top to bottom on Locke, Killington expands its terrain much faster. They have a substantial elevation advantage in opening new terrain. Its over priced, but Killington early season is superior to Sunday River early season in terms of terrain, acres, lifts, etc. Still is not worth $65 and I won't pay more than I normally pay in season for skiing for early season, so I think I'll be sticking with Sunday River regardless. But I am not sure how you can call Killington and Sunday River early season similar products.

Puck it

Not really sure, but I definitely heard at least $50. (Depending on the season I usually have either had a pass or some type of discount card/discounted tickets, so I don't pay a ton of attention.)

On the other hand, they've had plenty of people there early season with those prices, so I can't entirely blame them.

It was $49 last year for early season. $39 with the express card. The price did not jump up until Thanksgiving.

gmcunni

killington is 3ish hours from my home. If they are open, the $50 vs $65 won't be the issue that decides whether i go skiing in October. if i had options perhaps the price would matter more but i don't anticipate having many options.

Newpylong

True but that scenario hasn't happened since the Killington Double was still there. There were a couple seasons back then where they painted Upper Cascade white and you had to walk from the summit around to the snow, roughly under the old gondola. Currently though, there is no reason why they wouldn't put enough on GN to get down to the Glades.

Scenario:

Snowmaking window pops up. Guns are blasting on Rime and Great Northern. Great Northern isn't quite ready, but Rime is.

Sunday River is looking to open T2 for the afternoon to kick start the season. K wants the early season title. Why wouldn't you open the walkway from the Peak down to Rime to get going?????

In a perfect world the Great Northern connect over will be ready to go, but if it's not, Rime is, and K wants to offer skiing, why wouldn't they let people walk down the 'Stairway to Heaven'??

skiadikt

True but that scenario hasn't happened since the Killington Double was still there. There were a couple seasons back then where they painted Upper Cascade white and you had to walk from the summit around to the snow, roughly under the old gondola. Currently though, there is no reason why they wouldn't put enough on GN to get down to the Glades.

agree that'll probably be the plan but they do have the rime only option now if they need it.

2knees

Did the birdy confirm it's not partical board?

toucan_sam.jpg

Black Phantom

Not that I am big on defending Killington. Their recent early season prices are hardly worth the product offered. But the product Killington starts the season with blows away Sunday River's early season offering. Killington usually opens with two full trails off the Glades Triple (both longer than T2), a full mountain of vertical via a Gondi (instead of stop and go uploading on the Locke Triple), and significantly more acres. Even if you extend it out to when Sunday River can go top to bottom on Locke, Killington expands its terrain much faster. They have a substantial elevation advantage in opening new terrain. Its over priced, but Killington early season is superior to Sunday River early season in terms of terrain, acres, lifts, etc. Still is not worth $65 and I won't pay more than I normally pay in season for skiing for early season, so I think I'll be sticking with Sunday River regardless. But I am not sure how you can call Killington and Sunday River early season similar products.

River-

It's real easy to do on the internet. Excellent analysis of both areas BTW.

Cost = value. VT isn't ME. You also don't see the overalls and Columbia crowd on their $25 day tickets at Killington. Something to be said for that. Geoff's beloved detox had some wonderful effects.

If you are a 15 day a year skier looking for "value" in the early season, Killington is effectively saying you are not welcome.

deadheadskier

Staff member
River-

It's real easy to do on the internet. Excellent analysis of both areas BTW.

Cost = value. VT isn't ME. You also don't see the overalls and Columbia crowd on their $25 day tickets at Killington. Something to be said for that. Geoff's beloved detox had some wonderful effects.

If you are a 15 day a year skier looking for "value" in the early season, Killington is effectively saying you are not welcome.

I'll take the bait. Please explain to me what 'Columbia Crowd' is.

Greg

Staff member
I'll take the bait. Please explain to me what 'Columbia Crowd' is.

I suspect those that wear Columbia outerwear. Which is kinds dumb cuz for the average skier the Columbia stuff is not that bad and it's affordable.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I suspect those that wear Columbia outerwear. Which is kinds dumb cuz for the average skier the Columbia stuff is not that bad and it's affordable.

yep, well aware. Worn Columbia jackets and pants for the past decade. No complaints

I'd rather take the $300 I save buying Columbia instead of Arcteryx and take my wife out to dinner at Number 9 Park.

Just like I'd rather spend $30 early season at SR on a lift ticket and then spend $30 at their bar than spend $60 on a lift tickete at Kton. The mountain gets the same money from me either way.

but by all means Captain Stereotype, Black Phantom, please continue to drop your marketing knowledge on us all. :rolleyes:

EPB

yep, well aware. Worn Columbia jackets and pants for the past decade. No complaints

I'd rather take the $300 I save buying Columbia instead of Arcteryx and take my wife out to dinner at Number 9 Park.

Just like I'd rather spend $30 early season at SR on a lift ticket and then spend $30 at their bar than spend $60 on a lift tickete at Kton. The mountain gets the same money from me either way.

but by all means Captain Stereotype, Black Phantom, please continue to drop your marketing knowledge on us all. :rolleyes:

All this money saving chatter is reminding me of Threecy. ;)