• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington regulars - need some advice for possible trip.

Bene288

I've skied Killington a few times, by no means do I "know" the mountain. I've enjoyed it the times I've gone, but usually found a reason to be upset with it as well. I guess that's the norm for big mega resorts. I know it's got some sick terrain that I would love to further explore.

So here is my deal: I have the option to ski 2/21 - 2/24. A friend rented a huge house and there will be 15 - 20 of us. The rate is something like $160 to stay the 3 nights and discounted group lift tickets of $50-$60 each day. Is it worth it on a holiday week/weekend? Will I be really bummed with lift lines and congested trails? I've never been there during a holiday period so I'm not sure what to expect. So what should I expect?

Any information would be great. I typically would jump on this without thinking too hard on it, but it's very last minute and I'll have to shuffle a few jobs around to get away for Thursday/Friday.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I've skied Killington a few times, by no means do I "know" the mountain. I've enjoyed it the times I've gone, but usually found a reason to be upset with it as well. I guess that's the norm for big mega resorts. I know it's got some sick terrain that I would love to further explore.

So here is my deal: I have the option to ski 2/21 - 2/24. A friend rented a huge house and there will be 15 - 20 of us. The rate is something like $160 to stay the 3 nights and discounted group lift tickets of $50-$60 each day. Is it worth it on a holiday week/weekend? Will I be really bummed with lift lines and congested trails? I've never been there during a holiday period so I'm not sure what to expect. So what should I expect?

Any information would be great. I typically would jump on this without thinking too hard on it, but it's very last minute and I'll have to shuffle a few jobs around to get away for Thursday/Friday.
I was there MLK weekend and only hit lines at the main lifts. Once your on the Mt its usually fine...The place is plenty big enough to handle large amounts of people...GO!

Huck_It_Baby

I would go! K is a big place and that's a decent price on the lift tickets and lodging. It's easy to hate on Killington but I have always loved it despite the many reasons you can find fault with it if you wish.

Would you rather stay home and work?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Lift lines are very hit or miss at K-mart.
Avoid: Skye Peak gondi stage 2, Skye Peak Quad, K-1, and Ramshead.
Lap: Everything else.
If it gets REALLY bad, hit Canyon and Slowdon Quads.
Trails to avoid: Juggernaut (especially if you board) and Wildfire.
I don't know how you can have a bad time at The Big K, even if it's a holiday, so DEFINITELY go.

jimmywilson69

So you are looking at $160 to stay and $200-$240 in lift tickets.

YOu shouldn't even be thinking about this. GO

Will there be crazy parts of trails and lift lines that are busy, sure. But there will be long lift lines anywhere you go this weekend.

Last weekend it was very busy on Friday and Saturday and I never waited longer than 10 minutes. They were very efficient at moving the lift lines, ensuring that 4 to a quad chair and 8 ineach gondola box.

Avoid the lifts mentioned above, unless it is early and you will have a great time.

ScottySkis

Great price. Go Benn and have fun times. I have not been to K for several years, but just do what others have said avoid the big lines at the main chairs and you be fine. They have lots of other chairs that most of the others don't use, also you should be able to hit up Pico which is never crowded from what I remember.

C-Rex

Go. The place is plenty big enough to avoid crowds if you bounce around to some of the smaller lifts. Also, if you ski/ride trees, see if you can find a summer trail map. It'll have the mountain bike and hiking trails on it. If there's enough snow, they'll be amazing...if you can find them...

Bene288

Well I'm convinced, Kmart here I come. Thanks for the responses. I will look for a summer map. I haven't heard much about the trees at Killington. The place is so big I imagine its easy to get lost. I'll definitely have to look over the map and take your recommendations on which lifts to avoid. I hate gondolas anyway!

St. Jerry

I heard the back side of the mountain has some great back country! Just keeping going past the cabin to find the sick-sick goods!

Bene288

^ I was following that thread. Won't be doing any out of bounds skiing. I'll have to pull teeth to get someone to go in the glades with me.

jimmywilson69

The trees were pretty thin last weekend. I didn't suffer any core shots or any real base damage, but they need another foot of "wet" snow to make them real good.

mister moose

Thursday and Friday will be well attended but not long lift lines. Go where you want, ski hard. Plan on taking it easy Saturday, quit early or avoid mid day. Ski hard again Sunday. You'll be getting tired by Saturday anyway. Stay away from the boulevard trails (Superstar, Skylark, Skyburst, Great Northern) when it gets crowded. And if you quit early on Saturday, you get the good happy hour seats at the bar!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've always felt like K lift lines get very tempered because there are so many peaks that distribute the skiers across. But maybe I don't remember that well :dontknow:

JimG.

Staff member
Well I'm convinced, Kmart here I come. Thanks for the responses. I will look for a summer map. I haven't heard much about the trees at Killington. The place is so big I imagine its easy to get lost. I'll definitely have to look over the map and take your recommendations on which lifts to avoid. I hate gondolas anyway!

Plenty of trees on the map, no need to get lost.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
K is very simple to navigate with regards to long lines. See a long line, be like water, find the path of least resistance to next lift. There's almost always an option. It always amazes me when I see a 20-30 min line at the gondola, and a 1-2 minute line right next to it on the Snowden triple. Funny thing is, they both take you to the same terrain.

Huck_It_Baby

. Funny thing is, they both take you to the same terrain.

Maybe they share some terrain but certainly not the same. Plenty of trails accessible off the gondola that you can't get to from the Snowden.

Two words: Singles Line.

skiadikt

also at least on the saturday, i'd think about getting out on the mtn early.