• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington will Open Before Sunday River This Season

skiersleft

For those not willing to read that post, let me sum it up for you:

skiersleft is representing the 1%... The 1% that skis mid-week. And ware the resort that doesn't open mid-week during the last week of October but considers itself first to open for the season!

That wasn't nice, my friend. You're just jealous that I ski midweek and you usually can't. Cest la vie, mon ami. Also, the 1% is more powerful than you think. Actually, more like 47%.

bigbog

The winter prior to the Stairway being installed at K? IIRC the Stairway was put in because Killington wasn't able to open until after Thanksgiving weekend the prior year. I think Sunday River was the only place in the east that had November skiing that season.

Thanksgiving weekend has always been the Demo Days at SR...a week before Sugarloaf's....so there's always the potential for good $$$ to be made from SouthRidge's skishop on down to the end of the access road...in equipment and clothing, along with the kids back from college. It's a pretty big weekend for skiing.....

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
That wasn't nice, my friend. You're just jealous that I ski midweek and you usually can't. Cest la vie, mon ami. Also, the 1% is more powerful than you think. Actually, more like 47%.

you obviously don't know rivercoil very well. While he doesn't ski primarily during the midweek, he certainly does ski midweek pretty much whenever a storm hits. For a working stiff not living at the base of a mountain, he grabs more powder days than most. I doubt he's jealous of you skiing WROD midweek at Killington in November when Sunday River is closed.......

mister moose

Killington was closed Friday Jan. 27 2012.

Pretty sure every other ski area in the north east that was scheduled to be open that day was open.

Gasp. Forgot about that.

So much for that "longest (continuous) season" claim there, skiersleft. Might have to split it in half. And don't try to argue a day vs 2, or 3, or 10. Discontinuous is discontinuous.

JimG.

Staff member
I remember in the. 90s Hunter making Belt and other trails with like 10 foot base and still be blowing in March, and they always made a great light powder snow.

They still make great snow, but less of it for sure.

skiersleft

Gasp. Forgot about that.

So much for that "longest (continuous) season" claim there, skiersleft. Might have to split it in half. And don't try to argue a day vs 2, or 3, or 10. Discontinuous is discontinuous.

Again changing my claim. Adironrider is right. You really do stack the deck. I know you are smart, so you're clearly just messing around, but I'll bite. My argument was never "continuous season". It's always been most days open during a season. I thought you had a chest full of bogus stats. I was wrong. You have a shed full of straw men. Good for you!

tt431

Again changing my claim. Adironrider is right. You really do stack the deck. I know you are smart, so you're clearly just messing around, but I'll bite. My argument was never "continuous season". It's always been most days open during a season. I thought you had a chest full of bogus stats. I was wrong. You have a shed full of straw men. Good for you!
I like MM's definition better, this way I can say I skied from October 29th to mid May. How many days is that, 190? My personal season is longer than SR's. :flame:

skiadikt

reason k has to open full time is because their payroll system isn't sophisticated enough to deal with part time employees ...

haven't really kept up on this thread so i'm not sure i'm on "topic", but this open continuously thing is a bunch of crap at k. here you have a business that's squeezing every drop they can out of the grape (delayed opening times, cutback on lifts, snowmaking etc) but they insist on being open full time early season. unless on those tues-thurs they're making buckets of money by being open, seems like sunday river is doing the right thing.

steamboat1

reason k has to open full time is because their payroll system isn't sophisticated enough to deal with part time employees ...

haven't really kept up on this thread so i'm not sure i'm on "topic", but this open continuously thing is a bunch of crap at k. here you have a business that's squeezing every drop they can out of the grape (delayed opening times, cutback on lifts, snowmaking etc) but they insist on being open full time early season. unless on those tues-thurs they're making buckets of money by being open, seems like sunday river is doing the right thing.
Who would you rather be employed by?

JimG.

Staff member
you obviously don't know rivercoil very well. While he doesn't ski primarily during the midweek, he certainly does ski midweek pretty much whenever a storm hits. For a working stiff not living at the base of a mountain, he grabs more powder days than most. I doubt he's jealous of you skiing WROD midweek at Killington in November when Sunday River is closed.......

Somehow this kind of sums it up so far.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
One better... I might sneak out of work early to go earn a run at Sunday River mid-week which is sometimes more rewarding than the weekend skiing. Nice that they only operate on the weekend for us guys that can ski mid-week after a short work day. :)

Gilligan

Uh oh, skiersleft. They were fine with you "promoting conversation", driving up page counts and helping pay the bills. Until you accidentally insulted one of the favored members. Now the wagons are circled, big guns blazing. This is what keeps me from posting very often here.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Uh oh, skiersleft. They were fine with you "promoting conversation", driving up page counts and helping pay the bills. Until you accidentally insulted one of the favored members. Now the wagons are circled, big guns blazing. This is what keeps me from posting very often here.

..... really?

PS saying that as a big skiersleft fan

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Gilligan

..... really?

Yes. He has a back and forth with Rivercoil and the next thing you know 2 mods are joining in. What, a guy with 12k posts can't defend himself? Where are the 2 mods helping skiersleft?

Terry

I really could care less who opens first, has the longest season, most days open, most terrain and the most vertical. I ski Sunday River so what I care about is that they open as early as they can and stay open as late into the season as they can. And that Barker Seve has plenty of thumper on hand. Why do we have to argue this every year?:beer: Cheers! I will see you guys on the slopes.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Says the guy posting frequently in this thread. :lol:

Hey, Nick... can I have the five peaks under my handle be replaced with "Favored Member"? ;)

I've antagonized enough people here not to be that much of a favored member.

skiersleft brought it upon himself in this thread. But posting a thread about Killington and trying to defend the place from numerous angles is bound to tie you up in some back and forth. Its September in a thread about Killington, what are you expecting?

For what it is worth, I think skiersleft is one of the most consistently interesting posters at AZ. I just strongly disagree on his position of what defines "longest season". My position is what skiersleft calls "longest season" is really "most days in a season" though I think even skiersleft eventually changed his wording in the thread to most days.